How to load nic driver, to be able to connect to internet

Booting, installing, newbie
WeeWilly

How to load nic driver, to be able to connect to internet

#1 Post by WeeWilly »

Hello,

First post here.

Have been wanting to learn how to use Linux, and found Puppy - thought it would be a good place to begin.

D/l'd the iso, burned a bootable CD - no problem.

It boots.
Not sure about video options, but that's not the thing I want to work on now... I found one that works for now.

I think the first thing to get working is my internet connection. So that when I load Puppy, I can come to places like this, read, and experiment.
Having to exit Puppy, re-boot into Windows98, load Firefox, come here and read, then unload Windows, re-boot Puppy, try whatever I read....
It is very time consuming and frustrating.

And now I'm a bit frustrated because I'm having zero luck with getting Puppy to see my network interface card.

Card is an Encore 10/100m . Model number is ENL832-TX-ICNT.
Works fine under Win98SE, fwiw.
Connects to Westell 6100 DSL modem/router, for internet.

I've tried the Network Wizard, and apparently I don't understand what is going on. It does not list the card as being found. So I try the auto-probe. It finds a driver, I load it, but the bottom half of the Wizard doesn't indicate anything has changed. I think I remember that it says to try to configure the card.
But how?
I don't see anything that leads to a set up or config.
I also remember that it says something about doing a manual configuration.
Again - how? where? I don't see anything that says anything about a manual config.

Sorry for the "I think I remember...", but now I'm back in Windoze.
See what I mean....

I forgot to see if I could get Puppy to tell me the version number. I suppose you'll want that.
If it helps for now, I d/l'd the iso on Nov 21, 2006 and the filename is
puppy-2.00-opera.iso .

Did a search of the forums here. Found only one instance of "encore"
and "enl832".
It is:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... re&t=12384
Whoever that is, is describing my situation almost exactly!
Win98SE, Puppy, Encore nic, ... don't know how to load driver.
Unfortunately, there are no replies there.

Hope to get this much working asap.
Thanks

norsiwel

#2 Post by norsiwel »

Hi Willie, the simplest solution to your problem may be to download the newest version of Puppy 2.12, download the version with zdrv, as it has a large library of drivers, and it may come up and automagically find your card, its a bit larger download but there are definite improvements from the earlier versions.
the only thing that is constant is change

WeeWilly

#3 Post by WeeWilly »

norsiwel:

Ok.
D'l ing it now. I'll give that a try.

I think the reason that I chose that version, was so that I'd get a web browser with it.

Fwiw, I've been back to Puppy. Did some reading - not that much of it was understandable - looked around.
Is it significant that there was no file named eth0 in the /dev directory?

Btw, once linux is up and running, how does one get it to tell you it's version number, etc. ?

Thanks

WeeWilly

#4 Post by WeeWilly »

norsiwel:

Well - I'm here! :)

Right now, using Puppy 2.12 that I just d/l'd a few minutes ago, with SeaMonkey for a browser to get me to this forum.

Network Wizard behaved much different this time. Did the same auto-probe, it found 3cx59x and this time, in the lower box, it reported "Puppy sees 1 active interface .... " and there was a new button to click, named eth0 . I had never seen that before.

Followed the instructions that I now had. Did the DHCP way.
Presto! Here I am.
Thanks for the tip!

Still don't know how to make linux, once up and running, tell me what version it is. I don't suppose "ver" at the command line works here.

Found some sort of file manager, and navigated around looking.
in /dev, still don't see a eth0 . Is that normal?

WeeWilly

#5 Post by WeeWilly »

I wanted to inquire about something else to do with the driver for the nic.

Have the floppy that came with the card, with drivers on it. Including Linux.
Also d/l'd the drivers from their website. Look to be the same, no newer.

The linux drivers are several text files. Looks like something that would need to be compiled. I see the word "makefile".
This is all new to me.

Supposing that I hadn't been able to get 2.12, with it's Network Wizard, to find/load a driver for this nic.

What is involved in setting up so that Puppy / linux would work with the card? There has got to be a way to do it somehow, and now I'm curious.

Thanks

norsiwel

#6 Post by norsiwel »

Hey Willie, hooray, I'm really glad that solved your problem, now for your other questions, if you look in the /etc dir you'll find a text file named puppyversion, if you open it it will tell you the version of puppy that you are running, to solve your problem in the other way would have involved finding the proper driver for your NIC and using the modprobe command at the command line, in a console to attempt to load the driver, in the early days of puppy this was quite often needed, but now the network wizard is really a work of art, enjoy puppy, its a great OS and learning tool.
the only thing that is constant is change

WeeWilly

#7 Post by WeeWilly »

norsiwel wrote:Hey Willie, hooray, I'm really glad that solved your problem, now for your other questions, if you look in the /etc dir you'll find a text file named puppyversion, if you open it it will tell you the version of puppy that you are running,
Ok. I don't have Puppy loaded right now, but I'll refer back to this when I do and have a look.
Thanks.
to solve your problem in the other way would have involved finding the proper driver for your NIC and using the modprobe command at the command line, in a console to attempt to load the driver, in the early days of puppy this was quite often needed, but now the network wizard is really a work of art, enjoy puppy, its a great OS and learning tool.
I found the driver. But it was all text files. See above post.
Would I have had to compile it or something?
What is involved in that part?

About the modprobe command - thanks. I'll look around for info on that, and see if I can understand what I read.
Is there a good place to go, when looking for explanation on commands like this?

Thanks

WeeWilly

#8 Post by WeeWilly »

norsiwel wrote: if you look in the /etc dir you'll find a text file named puppyversion, if you open it it will tell you the version of puppy that you are running,
Found that. It said 2.12
That's good to know.

I was really looking for the version of linux though. And I found the command to do that.

uname

uname -a

uname -r is the one that replies with just the version number.

Thanks