How to unpack a .PET package?

Booting, installing, newbie
Bruce B

How to unpack a .PET package?

#1 Post by Bruce B »

Recently I downloaded the Abiword Dictionary .PET. Thank you Mark.

I sometimes (all to often) like to do a manual install, so I tried to unpack it.

unzip didn't work

tar did work with these errors

Code: Select all

gzip: stdin: decompression OK, trailing garbage ignored
./abiword-dictionary/abiword-dictionary.pet.specs
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
(I was able to get the files I needed with no problem)

Question if you please: How to properly unpack a .pet package?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

did you try clicking on it from rox?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

Lobster,

Actually, no. Not until you asked the question anyway. Then discovered Rox gives the options of:

* installing the package

* aborting the installation

---------------------

What I want to do us open (unpack) the pet package, not install it. Which I did on the CLI, but not without the error messages.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

:oops: did not read your question properly - sorry
. . . thought you were experienced enough to know how to install . . .

I know this question has been answered (I think by MU)

maybe the googlepup search engine can help ;)
http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

Lobster wrote: . . . thought you were experienced enough to know how to install . . .
Candidly, I usually break the packages open and manually install the files. There are reasons I do this, lots of reasons.

For one thing, I want to know what's in the package. Where things were intended to go and I want to put them outside Puppy's filesystem. Usually in a subdirectory of /opt. I add library and search paths to /opt/bin and /opt/lib, keep documentation and other things in other subdirectories.

Why? So I can make fresh installs of Puppy and have my favorite packages already installed for the most part.

I don't like upgrades particularly, I prefer brand new fresh installs. Puppy's release cycles are so frequent that I want to reduce the work of adding my favorite packages over and over again.

MU

#6 Post by MU »

a pet is a tar.gz with a checksum in the end.
This number fools tar to beliebe it is "broken" in the end.
You can ignore the error, if all files extract fine.

tar -xzvf example.pet

Mark

craftybytes

#7 Post by craftybytes »

Or if you want to make it even simpler - there is a "pet tools" script in Puppy v2.15 and above called 'pet2tgz' - which you can call in rxvt :-
pet2tgz <name of .pet file>
Now that the .pet file is back into a '.tar.gz' file - you an use 'Pupzip' to extract it..

HTH..

crafty.
3 x boot:- ASROCK VIA 'all-in-one' m/b; AMD Duron 1.8Ghz+; 1.0GB RAM; 20GB hdd (WinXP Pro); 80GB hdd (MEPIS 3.4-3/Puppy v2.15CE Frugal); 1GB USB pendrive (Puppy 2.15CE Frugal); CD/DVDRW; 17" LCD monitor; HSF 56k modem... MEPIS is great.. Puppy ROCKS..

Pizzasgood

#8 Post by Pizzasgood »

there is a "pet tools" script in Puppy v2.15 and above
Actually, 2.14 and above (thus including Pizzapup 3.0.1)

Also, there are tgz2pet and dir2pet. Maybe more, I don't remember.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#9 Post by BarryK »

Bruce B

#10 Post by Bruce B »

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I'll checkout the link Barry provided, logic seems that if I know how to assemble a .PET package, disassembly will be a piece of cake.

The background on this particular topic is, I wanted a spell checker for AbiWord. I went to AbiWord's website to get a dictionary, but really could not find it.

I then checked out MU repository and found an AbiWord dictionary package. I particularly didn't want to run this package because I didn't know if I might encounter discrepancies.

For one thing the location of the dictionary has changed in Puppy releases. Also, I had problems in the past, as I remember, I resolved it by renaming an American dictionary to an Australian dictionary.

Mostly just wanted to look at what I had in the package.

Reading the script I could see where its maker, (Mark?) wanted to put the dictionary hash and encoding file. So I put the files in /opt/dict with other files of its type and made notes where to link these two files.

Tested AbiWord and its happy with the linking I did.

My goal is to build a fairly complete /opt directory structure for all the addons which I want, but don't come with default Puppy.

Many thanks.

Eyes-Only

#11 Post by Eyes-Only »

Wow... a wealth of info here in this thread! :) Glad I clicked in! I've often converted .pups to .zips and had no problems there, so I guess the newer .pet is different? Great to know this now and that there's an option in the CLI to reconvert it back.

@Bruce: I admire your way of doing things very much. While I don't install manually outside of $PATH myself, like you however, I too like to often know what's inside a file, where it's going, what is doing what, and so forth solely for learning and personal satisfaction of knowing what my OS is doing. The /opt method you mentioned, however, I've got to remember that. Could come in really handy for me someday! Thanks for sharing that valuable piece of info.

Thanks to all in fact.

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*