New suggested packages for Puppy... vi clone and mawk

Using applications, configuring, problems
wom_bat

New suggested packages for Puppy... vi clone and mawk

#1 Post by wom_bat »

How about mawk instead of gawk? It's half the size and fully POSIX compliant.

How about levee as a tiny vi clone? And then in unleashed power users can get rid of e3m geany and leafpad.

Packages appended.
Attachments
levee-3.4o-7.tar.gz
Levee: ultra-lightweight vi clone. In format suitable for unleashed 2.12
(30.56 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
mawk-1.3.3-11.tar.gz
Mawk. POSIX-compliant awk implementation.
(43.77 KiB) Downloaded 234 times

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

As long as they were dropping text editors they'd have to get rid of MP too. (MP is a very nice CLI editor that has syntax highlighting and a "normal" interface.)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

wom_bat

Puppy on a diet?

#3 Post by wom_bat »

[quote]As long as they were dropping text editors they'd have to get rid of MP too. [/quote]
yes I missed that one.

There's actually quite a bit of apparent functional duplication in puppy at present ... there are several wireless network monitors for instance
(wavemon, xnetstrength, xwifibar), three ways to play CDs (gxine, cdp, xfreecd), two ways to rip audio CDs (pbcdripper, ripperx) etc., etc.

So there's a bit of scope for slimming down puppy if desired.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

:D

Puppy is notorious for being bloatware - not!
The developer of Geany is a forum member and very accomodating to suggestions from Puppy users.

I have got used to it and now prefer many of its features. Maybe leafpad is a better default . . . maybe

It is always good to hear peoples first impressions :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

joki

#5 Post by joki »

Lobster wrote::D

Puppy is notorious for being bloatware - not!
The developer of Geany is a forum member and very accomodating to suggestions from Puppy users.

I have got used to it and now prefer many of its features. Maybe leafpad is a better default . . . maybe

It is always good to hear peoples first impressions :)
geany with its syntax colouring and tabs is in a different league to leafpad. geany still user-friendly enough for the notepaders coming over from doze

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

I love Geany. The only problem is that it starts up slowly on old computers. Leafpad is near-instantaneous.

I will always use Geany (at least until something even better comes along), but I'm all for keeping Leafpad. It's actually extremely small decompressed and completely insignificant after Puppy's compression.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]