Samba in Dingo (V4.0) command(s) not found. FIXED

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
GeoffS

Samba in Dingo (V4.0) command(s) not found. FIXED

#1 Post by GeoffS »

The subject and description just about says it all.
I've had Samba running perfectly in Puppy2.16.
This version of Samba has installed to opt/samba/ very different from the previous version.
Even going to opt/samba/sbin (where smbd, nmbd etc reside), opening a terminal and entering 'smbd' returns 'command not found'. All these modules have the 'executable' permission on. Their type is executable/x-sharedlib, not x-executable.
I need some explanations of these factors.

Puppy V4.0 (frugal) with Fatdog4.sfs loaded.
Thanks for any help
Geoff
Last edited by GeoffS on Tue 17 Jun 2008, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.

GeoffS

#2 Post by GeoffS »

Bumping my own post and also adding some V4.0 comments.

I only made the move to Version 4 because I had destroyed the V2.16 that I'd been using as my main system by my own stupidity :cry: It appeared just as easy to get Dingo going as rebuilding 2.16.

That has not been the case.

This Dingo has proved to be VERY delicate. I've been using some of the newer features such as having various versions of puppy in sub-directories and using the boot manager to load various .sfs modules. Some VERY strange things have occurred. Certainly the loading of .sfs modules is unstable because of the order. Removing modules, changing to other modules and then trying to go back to the original does not work, symlinks are not re-established or appear to lead to dead ends.
Many very strange things have happened and I simply do not have the time the retrace all my steps (if I could) and find the source of them.
I am certain that a derivative I tried (and I tried several) modified my main save file when I had clearly installed it (frugally) in its own sub-directory with its own save file. It left its footprints and the date/time of modification was indicative.

None of this affects the fact that I've never been able to make Samba work in Dingo and I need it as this puppy runs on my server. Fortunately that part of my old 2.16 still works.

Maybe some of this post needs to be in the 'Dingo Comments' thread. If I've got time next time I'm on the forum I might copy it there.
Cheers
Geoff

GeoffS

#3 Post by GeoffS »

Further to my previous comments. I've removed all the various pups I had installed and re-installed V4.00 frugally with fatdog-4a.sfs. Installed wine-1.0rc2-i486.pet and added a couple of Windows programs. All OK.
I then installed samba-3.0.26. It does not work. smbd and nmbd are still not in either /lib or /slib. They only exist as modules in /opt/samba and as shared modules and they don't execute although the execute flag is on.
etc/smb.conf is a symlink to opt/samba/smb.conf which does not exist.
Samba-3.0.26 shows as an official puppy4 package in the package manager but is it?
Help please!
Geoff

GeoffS

#4 Post by GeoffS »

I un-installed Samba, but this time, instead of using the package installer I downloaded Samba.3.0.26 from puppyfiles.ca and then installed it.
It WORKS. :lol:
I never worked out what was wrong with the previous one.
I've learnt quite a bit more about Samba, trouble is I probably won't remember most of it. :cry:
GeoffS