Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 01 Oct 2014, 14:30
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Encrypted pup_save for Puppy 212
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 3 of 5 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
John Doe

PostPosted: Thu 14 Dec 2006, 22:26    Post_subject: Switching to dm-crypt  

Based on Paul's research on swap and losetup's problems with it leads me to think it might be the wrong method to use altogether. dm-crypt has a helper app called cryptsetup which takes the place of the patched losetup. Also the method we are currently using (losetup and CyptoAPI itself, not our choice of keys or logic) appears to have some security problems (*my bad, I should have searched better).

I'm going to download these and run some tests tonight. I'll have some specific code tomorrow to use for the change (unless you guys beat me to it). It shouldn't be too difficult to switch over, just a couple lines a lib or two and a binary.

------------

Mounting

Looks like basically to mount instead of this:

losetup $CRYPTO /dev/loop1 $SMNTPT$SAVEFILE
mount -t ext3 -o noatime,rw /dev/loop1 $EFSMNT

We do this now:

losetup /dev/loop1 $SMNTPT$SAVEFILE
echo 0 `blockdev --getsize /dev/loop1` crypt aes 0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef 0 /dev/loop1 0 | dmsetup create $EFSMNT

or with cryptsetup

cryptsetup --verbose create $EFSMNT /dev/loop1

*see http://www.saout.de/misc/dm-crypt/

------------

Apps

cryptsetup
http://www.saout.de/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=cryptsetup

Dependancies:
http://www.paranoiacs.org/~sluskyb/hacks/hashalot/
http://directory.fsf.org/security/libgcrypt.html
(*edit) ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/libgpg-error/libgpg-error-1.4.tar.gz (for libgcrypt)
http://packages.debian.org/testing/libdevel/libdevmapper-dev

Quote:

"BTW: dmsetup is NOT a big program. It has two parts: a libdevmapper.so in /lib and the dmsetup binary itself. Every part is 16k in size (if compiled statically into one binary it's just 27k), and it's still linked against glibc. If linked against dietlibc or klibc it would be even smaller. Nobody needs LVM tools or something. It's just a small client for the dm ioctl, just like losetup is a client for the loop ioctl."

*http://kerneltrap.org/node/2433
------------

Mounting Encrypted Swap

cryptsetup -c aes -s 256 -d /dev/urandom create swap0 /dev/hda2
mkswap /dev/mapper/swap0
swapon /dev/mapper/swap0

And creating an encrypted file system is on this page:
http://www.saout.de/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=EncryptedDevice

------------

Other

I'm hoping these key sizes are in bytes (that would make 128, 192 and 256 valid).

sh-3.00# cat /proc/crypto
name : aes
driver : aes-generic
module : aes
priority : 100
type : cipher
blocksize : 16
min keysize : 16
max keysize : 32

Edited_time_total
John Doe

PostPosted: Thu 14 Dec 2006, 22:56    Post_subject:  

One last link before I shut up and compile.

LUKS for dm-crypt is implemented in an enhanced version of cryptsetup.
http://luks.endorphin.org/about

This is a winner for sure.

LUKS on Gentoo uses cryptsetup-luks to make Gentoo the first Linux distribution that can be run and installed seamlessly with LUKS, and (without disrespect of other crypto project) is believed to deliver the best user experience.

LUKS is the first cross-plattform standard for transparent hard disk encryption. Thanks to FreeOTFE, you get LUKS for Win32. Of course, you have to use a file-system on your LUKS partition that both OS understand. For instance, fat. For more compatibility stuff see, LUKS for the masses.
PaulBx1

PostPosted: Thu 14 Dec 2006, 23:49    Post_subject:  

dmsetup may be small, but I don't know if all the things it depends on is. And I downloaded the cryptsetup tar.bz2 file last night, which was 244mb all by itself (I realize that has nothing to do with the size of the finished module, but it's at least worrysome).

The thing is, I'm hoping to get this encryption into the standard Puppy, and for that we are very size-sensitive. There is a limit to how much we can talk Barry into adding.

On the other hand we (i.e., you) could provide our own remaster, which I guess makes us less constrained that way. However it also gets us out of the mainstream of releases, which is not good.

The above are just vague impressions, my guess at the options open to us. I could well be wrong; I really don't know how all this is put together. Those dm-crypt guys keep saying everything is already in a vanilla kernel, but I see no evidence of it in Puppy. Perhaps some compile options have to be turned on? And there is also the option to make it a loadable module? (If I understand correctly, this sounds better, as it can be thrown in zdrv and only used by people who want encryption.)

If you can get this going JD I would really appreciate it; I'm way over my depth! Shocked
John Doe

PostPosted: Fri 15 Dec 2006, 18:35    Post_subject:  

PaulBx1 wrote:
dmsetup may be small, but I don't know if all the things it depends on is. And I downloaded the cryptsetup tar.bz2 file last night, which was 244mb all by itself (I realize that has nothing to do with the size of the finished module, but it's at least worrysome).

244mb Shocked we must have downloaded something different (or perhaps you meant kb. The LUKS download was 300kb which had just a couple more things).

here are some number I got right now:
(compiled, not with the diet C which would make them even smaller)

cryptsetup (LUKS version) 28k
dmsetup 34k
hashalot 48k

libraries 2252k
I think only two of these files are required. Which would keep us in the ball park still. I have to re-read some things.
John Doe

PostPosted: Fri 15 Dec 2006, 19:08    Post_subject:  

PaulBx1 wrote:
The thing is, I'm hoping to get this encryption into the standard Puppy, and for that we are very size-sensitive. There is a limit to how much we can talk Barry into adding.

On the other hand we (i.e., you) could provide our own remaster, which I guess makes us less constrained that way. However it also gets us out of the mainstream of releases, which is not good.

I too would like to get this in the main distribution. I do remaster a CD for myself but have no plans for distributing it. I do so only so I can test things faster to help with the main distribution and as a minor convenience to myself (it was also a great learning experience).

Also I think this is an important feature for Puppy to compete, check out this list that has LUKS encryption already:
http://www.saout.de/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=LUKSDistroSupportStatus

If Puppy had LUKS "out-of-the-box" like Gentoo (and combined with all the other great improvments going on around here) it would be Number 1 for sure Cool
John Doe

PostPosted: Fri 15 Dec 2006, 23:07    Post_subject:  

I tuned up the script.

Fixed fat16 and fat32 support and the unmount problem, also loaded the aes module (and the cryptoloop module differently, that method in there didn't work). I tested on fat16, fat32 and ext3 so far all work again as well as the random data functions. Also added the random number generator for the loopback random datawipe.

There is a bit of reporting in there now also, so one can run it from the shell and see what's going on like:
./crypt-pupsave

Also I noticed when I write to a USB flash drive, it doesn't show up if I mount it afterward but it is there if I reboot.
crypt-pupsave.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  crypt-pupsave.tar.gz 
Filesize  3.81 KB 
Downloaded  442 Time(s) 
Carpe.Diem

PostPosted: Fri 15 Dec 2006, 23:59    Post_subject: LUKS like Puppy should have it!
Sub_title: LUKS Provides Linux and Windows With Cross-Platform Compatibility

I took a look at what John Doe wrote two posts previously about LUKS and followed the link provided and I am initially positively impressed with what I see.

In fact, I have downloaded the Windows version of LUKS (called FreeOTFE) and I am in the process of installing it in Windows. This is one fine puppy! Other versions of Linux will have LUKS, now Windows has it, and so should our Puppy!

The unzipped Windows program file is about 1 MB for the program module and each of the cipher modules is about 20 KB in size (it's a good old-fashion hand installation too, and a person can install one or any combination or all 13 basic ciphers, and there are also 6 hash modules, and any one or any combination or all hash modules can be installed too). What wonderful flexibility (and if what I've read is correct, LUKS and the Windows FreeOTFE are identical)!

In terms of ciphers, it has AES (which is really Rijndael, which won the AES competition, and only because it took first place, is why Rijndael is called AES, but it's still really just Rijndael to people in cryptology), Blowfish, CAST5 and CAST6, DES, RC6 (in two flavors, and RC6 was 4th place winner in the AES competition), Serpent (Serpent came in 2nd place winner in the AES competition), Twofish (which was 3rd place winner in the AES competition), and XOR. All of these ciphers are awesome in their own regard and NONE of them are weak and NONE have been broken, but my favorite is still Serpent (one authority in the AES competition said "Serpent and Rijndael are in fact somewhat similar; the main difference is that Rijndael is faster [having fewer rounds] but Serpent is more secure", and, uh, would you put your money in the bank with the lock which is quickest to open with a key, or would you put it in the one that is slower to open but more secure)! Nothing is more wonderful than having an informed choice, and FreeOTFE, and therefore LUKS, have all these choices and more to come.

There are a lot of other excellent features too: (1) it can work on volumes (either partitions or files) of many formats (FAT, FAT32, ext2, etc., though operating systems may limit some choices); (2) it has no signature (meaning no identifying characteristics which make it look encrypted, which is often called "plausible deniability", meaning a user could say "I don't know what that file is...hmm"); (3) it can be used on a network hard disk and anyone on the network with the right password can use the locked volume; (4) the encrypted partition OR file can be copied to CD's or DVD's and the original erased (well, "wiped" is the term most frequently used here in encryption circles, meaning multiple-pass erases with well-thought-out bit-flipping); (5) it's "on the fly" (meaning it works in memory without disk accesses) as discussed previously (however memory-swaps-to-disk could still be an issue here if physical memory is exceeded); (6) it allows a user to install new ciphers and hashes; (7) it gives Linux users cross-platform compatibility with Windows; [8] it can be used on PDA's; (9) ETC. (the feature list goes on and on...).

How LUKS might be implemented in Puppy, whether swaps will be included OR just securely wiped at the end of session, and other concerns, will still need addressing and testing, BUT I'll have to say that the Windows equivalent of LUKS (again, it's called FreeOTFE and can be downloaded at http://www.freeotfe.org/) looks feature rich, well thought-out, downright useful, and I've already downloaded it and I am going to try it -- and if it gets into Puppy, that cute little daring will be downright irresistible!

PaulBx1

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2006, 01:19    Post_subject:  

Quote:
244mb Shocked

Uh, 244kB. Embarassed

John, that change you made to the script still was using cryptoloop, right? Looks fine, however I did not know we had to call out a special mount for FAT partitions, I thought "mount /dev/$PAR /mnt/$PAR" was good enough. I did write the pup_save on a flash drive and it worked OK.

Quote:
and the cryptoloop module differently, that method in there didn't work

Actually it did; however it was pointless! I was trying to reduce the bogus error messages going to the console (e.g. when you create a directory that already exists), but I didn't realize that doing a modprobe with an already loaded driver doesn't give a message! So yeah, just the straight modprobe with no test works fine there. I wonder how it worked before without the "modprobe aes"?

I might have a couple more tweaks when you are done, minor stuff like a revised sentence and a mispelling.

BTW, when it is cranking away (e.g. loading the file with random data) the gui window disappears, which some may find disconcerting even though I said "This may take a while..." I wonder if there is a way to at least leave the last window up or show some other progress indicator.

How far have you got any farther with dm-crypt/cryptsetup/LUKS? I am anxious to see how you do that.

Quote:
libraries 2252k

Gulp! Surprised Is that something that can at least be thrown on zdrv?
John Doe

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2006, 01:52    Post_subject:  

PaulBx1 wrote:
How far have you got any farther with dm-crypt/cryptsetup/LUKS? I am anxious to see how you do that.

Line 257:

Code:
 #old losetup CryptoAPI way
  #rxvt -e losetup-FULL -e aes $LOOPDEVICE /mnt/$PAR/$FNAME

#new LUKS way
   losetup $LOOPDEVICE /mnt/$PAR/$FNAME
   rxvt -e cryptsetup --verbose --verify-passphrase create /mnt/$PAR/$FNAME $LOOPDEVICE

This is one of the few lines that needs changed, although I just found out that dm-mod isn't here. I tried to modprobe it, but it just doesn't seem to be in the zdrive either. I check unleashed too.

I get:

Code:
Command failed: Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.

When cryptsetup is called. I'm getting set to compile the kernel and modules now.

PaulBx1 wrote:
Quote:
libraries 2252k

Gulp! Surprised

Ya. I think it could be gotten down to about 1500k but that might still be too big. We'll have to wait for Barry to say something on that issue.

PaulBx1 wrote:
Is that something that can at least be thrown on zdrv?

I don't think so, but I may be wrong.
pakt

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2006, 03:29    Post_subject:  

PaulBx1 wrote:
BTW, when it is cranking away (e.g. loading the file with random data) the gui window disappears, which some may find disconcerting even though I said "This may take a while..." I wonder if there is a way to at least leave the last window up or show some other progress indicator.

Perhaps something like this - Puppy uses this construct in some scripts:
Code:
xmessage "This may take a while..." &
MSGID=$!

<-- code that takes a while -->

kill $MSGID 2>/dev/null

Paul

PaulBx1

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2006, 14:00    Post_subject:  

Thanks, Paul from Sweden. Smile I will give that a try. I'm a real novice at these bourne scripts with x, although I've done some ksh scripts in the distant past.

I hate to say it, John, but that other approach, loop-aes, is apparently all done with loadable modules so probably would work with zdrv. Sad And that would better suit the users who don't want encryption or who have small computer memories, etc. Taking up another meg or two of a small-memory machine is not going to endear us to many around here.

Perhaps I'm not understanding the whole picture, though.
John Doe

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2006, 19:22    Post_subject:  

PaulBx1 wrote:
I hate to say it, John, but that other approach, loop-aes, is apparently all done with loadable modules so probably would work with zdrv. Sad And that would better suit the users who don't want encryption or who have small computer memories, etc. Taking up another meg or two of a small-memory machine is not going to endear us to many around here.

I got dm-mod.ko compilied and installed, it's 66k and put the rest in, I'm at this point:

Code:
sh-3.00# losetup /dev/loop2 /mnt/sdb2/pup_save_crypt2.3fs
sh-3.00# cryptsetup --verbose --verify-passphrase create "CryptedVolume" /dev/loop2
Enter passphrase:
Verify passphrase:
Command failed: device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument
sh-3.00#

I'll keep trying to press on with, "Puppy De-LUKS".

But for now perhaps you are right. Maybe Barry should just throw the origninal method into the next beta and mention that it's not the BEST but we are working on improvments.
John Doe

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2006, 23:15    Post_subject:  

Just for the record, I did just get LUKS to work (really this time, not like I thought I did yesterday). I'll post more later tonight.

Code:
sh-3.00# ./crypt-pupsave
libcfdisk: unable to open /dev/sda
libcfdisk: unable to open /dev/sdb
libcfdisk: unable to open /dev/sdc
libcfdisk: unable to open /dev/sdd
libcfdisk: unable to open /dev/sda
libcfdisk: unable to open /dev/sdb
libcfdisk: unable to open /dev/sdc
libcfdisk: unable to open /dev/sdd
Partion Selected:
sde1
FAT FileSystem Detected
FILENAME SET TO:
pup_save_crypt.3fs
Loading cryptoloop and aes modules
Loop Device Found:
/dev/loop2
Save File is being created, please be patient...
32768+0 records in
32768+0 records out
Save File has been created
Random Data Layer is being written, please be patient...
Syncing...
Random Data Layer has been written

WARNING!
========
This will overwrite data on /dev/loop2 irrevocably.

Are you sure? (Type uppercase yes): YES
Enter LUKS passphrase:
Verify passphrase:
Command successful.
Enter LUKS passphrase:
key slot 0 unlocked.
Command successful.
Making Encrypted ext3 File System
mke2fs 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=1024 (log=0)
Fragment size=1024 (log=0)
7936 inodes, 31740 blocks
1587 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=1
4 block groups
8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
1984 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
        8193, 24577

Writing inode tables: done                           
Creating journal (1024 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 28 mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first.  Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.
sh-3.00#
Carpe.Diem

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec 2006, 12:46    Post_subject: Linux LUKS Size
Sub_title: What's The Size of the LUKS system you got working in Puppy?

John Doe,

Can you say what the size of the LUKS system is that you got working?

The Windows unzipped equivalent is about 1.3 MB with ALL the cipher and hash modules included and I'm wondering how big it might make our Puppy.

While not all the modules need to be included, I would say some of them are definite MUSTS, and not just the AES competition winner alone, especially since the cipher modules vary in size from only 12 to 37 KB, and a small set would give users some judicious choices -- like the top 3 AES winners, Rijndael (what is usually termed AES by most people who are not cryptographers), Serpent, and Twofish!

Anyway, what is the Linux LUKS installed size?

John Doe

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec 2006, 18:16    Post_subject:
Sub_title: LUKS Implementation Files and Current Status

I think bottom line is that the first implimentation will be the best for puppy (unless a miracle happens here). Although this does look like it will work also, just need some help with the boot script. Perhaps Barry can use the first one and those of use on the forum will just make a second (larger) initrd.gz available or they could both be on the main site or whatever.

Luks-Modules.tar.gz has:
DM-Mod.ko (66k)
DM-Crypt.ko (15k)
'Install' is a script to install them for testing. I think one needs to run it every time you reboot unless you add the modules to modules.dep. They can be gziped for initrd.

crypt-pupsave-LUKS.tar.gz is a modified version of crypt-pupsave. Only the first "make empty crypt save" function has been modified. It also still uses the old cypto aes loop for the random data. It doesn't do the filesystem copying yet either.

Puppy-Luks.tar.gz is an alien package (2376K extracted) which can be extracted and added to the boot image and/or used as an alien package to run Luks. I've removed as much as I can. I'm hoping there are additional libraries that can be removed. I thought one could compile libraries as static and they wouldn't call each other unless they were needed. I tried this with libcrypt so I could get rid of libgpg-error all together (because I don't plan on making any errors) but it still wouldn't run without libgpg-error. There is also that lib-dietC thing (I forget the name, you know what I mean), which I don't understand how to use. It would slim off some size also.

(*edit, sorry this formating didn't work very nicely)
It contains the following:
/usr/sbin/cryptsetup 28k
/usr/sbin/dmsetup 34k
/usr/sbin/hashalot 48k
/usr/sbin/rmd160 Symlink to hashalot
/usr/sbin/sha256 Symlink to hashalot
/usr/sbin/sha384 Symlink to hashalot
/usr/sbin/sha512 Symlink to hashalot
/usr/lib/cryptsetup Empty Directory
/usr/lib/libcryptsetup.la 885B
/usr/lib/libcryptsetup.so 22B
/usr/lib/libcryptsetup.so.0 22B
/usr/lib/libcryptsetup.so.0.0.0 104K
/usr/lib/libdevmapper.so 20B
/usr/lib/libdevmapper.so.1.02 64K
/usr/lib/libgcrypt.a 1215k
/usr/lib/libgcrypt.la 847B
/usr/lib/libgcrypt.so 19B
/usr/lib/libgcrypt.so.11 19B
/usr/lib/libgcrypt.so.11.2.2 719B
/usr/lib/libgpg-error.a 65K
/usr/lib/libgpg-error.la 837B
/usr/lib/libgpg-error.so 21B
/usr/lib/libgpg-error.so.0 21B
/usr/lib/libgpg-error.so.0.3.0 37K

Latest Init Code:

These are mods on what Kirk wrote, I'll refer to them as "Block One" and "Block Two" (block two needs a bit of help still).

New Path Var:

Code:
PATH="/bin:/sbin:/lib:/usr:/usr/sbin:/usr/lib"

Block One:

Code:
CRYPT=$( echo $PUPSAVE | grep crypt )
 if [ "$CRYPT" != "" ] ; then
CRYPTO="yes"
zcat /lib/modules/${KERNVER}/dm-mod.ko.gz | insmod -
zcat /lib/modules/${KERNVER}/dm-crypt.ko.gz | insmod -
zcat /lib/modules/${KERNVER}/aes.ko.gz | insmod -
else
CRYPTO=""
fi

Block Two:

Code:
if [ "$CRYPTO" != "" ] ; then
   echo -e "\\033[1;31m" >/dev/console
   echo "Loading encrypted pup_save_crypt" >/dev/console
   echo "" >/dev/console
   while true; do
   echo "Enter your LUKS passphrase:" >/dev/console
   read PASSPHRASE
   echo -n "$PASSPHRASE" | cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/loop1 pup_crypt
   #get_password | cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/loop1 pup_crypt
   #while test $? -ne 0; do
   #cryptsetup -y luksOpen /dev/loop1 pup_crypt;
   #done
   mount -t ext3 -o noatime,rw /dev/mapper/pup_crypt $EFSMNT;check_status $?
   if [ "$?" = "0" ] ; then
   break
   else
   losetup -d /dev/loop1
   echo "Can't mount file, Try password again." >/dev/console
   fi
   done
 else

Reference Links:

http://feraga.com/node/51
http://www.g-loaded.eu/2005/11/10/encrypt-devices-using-dm-crypt-and-luks/
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-selinux-list/2004-August/msg00056.html
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=199824&page=3
http://www.shimari.com/dm-crypt-on-raid/#why_dmcrypt
http://www.shimari.com/dm-crypt-on-raid/encrypted_home
http://www.saout.de/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=HOWTO
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=120091
http://www.google.com/search?q=initrd+cryptsetup
UnMountDrive.tar.gz
Description  Script to UnMount Encrypted PupSave (leaves drive mounted).
gz

Download 
Filename  UnMountDrive.tar.gz 
Filesize  193 Bytes 
Downloaded  382 Time(s) 
MountDrive.tar.gz
Description  Script To Mount Encrypted PupSave
gz

Download 
Filename  MountDrive.tar.gz 
Filesize  1019 Bytes 
Downloaded  385 Time(s) 
Puppy-Luks.tar.gz
Description  Luks Alien Package with Dependancies
gz

Download 
Filename  Puppy-Luks.tar.gz 
Filesize  949.25 KB 
Downloaded  448 Time(s) 
crypt-pupsave-LUKS.tar.gz
Description  Script to Encrypt Pup_Save File with LUKS
gz

Download 
Filename  crypt-pupsave-LUKS.tar.gz 
Filesize  3.96 KB 
Downloaded  382 Time(s) 
Luks-Modules.tar.gz
Description  DM-MOD and DM-CRYPT Kernel Modules with Temporary Install Script for Puppy 2.12
gz

Download 
Filename  Luks-Modules.tar.gz 
Filesize  33.56 KB 
Downloaded  429 Time(s) 

Edited_times_total
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 3 of 5 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot