Using Rox Pinboard in Xfce? (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
can8v

Using Rox Pinboard in Xfce? (Solved)

#1 Post by can8v »

I have installed Dougal's wonderful Xfce dot pup and I like it much better than JWM. The one thing I would like to have from the standard puppy arrangement is the Rox Pinboard. I read in the forum somewhere that you can use only the parts of Xfce that you like, and somewhere else I read the instructions for getting rid of the xfdesktop, but I surely can't find where I read it. If anyone out there can either point me to these instructions or tell me how to get my Rox Pinboard working with Xfce I would be very grateful.
Thanks,
Jason
*** Edit ***
The following code in my xinitrc file solved this problem for me.

Code: Select all

CURRENTWM="`cat /etc/windowmanager`"
if [ "$CURRENTWM" = "xfce4" ];then
 xfce-mcs-manager
 xfwm4 --daemon
 xftaskbar4&
 #xfdesktop&
 #xfcalendar &
 xfce4-panel
 rox -o -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
else
#v2.11 GuestToo suggested this improvement...
which $CURRENTWM && exec $CURRENTWM
[ -x $CURRENTWM ] && exec $CURRENTWM
exec jwm
fi
###END###
Last edited by can8v on Wed 27 Dec 2006, 17:11, edited 5 times in total.

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

It was in the read-me the dotpup pops up when you run it. I don't have it installed right now, but I think the file is at /usr/share/xfce/dotpupmessage or something like that. If you explore /usr/share and /usr/local/share, you should find the xfce directories, and it's in one of them.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

can8v

Wow Thanks (edit)

#3 Post by can8v »

**edit**
I guess I spoke too soon; I followed the instructions and indeed they doe tell how to turn off the xfdesktop, but they don't explain how to get the Rox Pinboard back up and running.
**end edit**
Thanks for the super quick response. I found it; the path and file name are: /usr/share/xfce4/dotpup-info.txt . This is definitely not where I read this information in the past, as it is much more detailed than I remember and much more helpful thanks again.
Jason

can8v

#4 Post by can8v »

Just an update. I got the xfdesktop turned off, but I still can't get the ROX pinboard to work with Xfce. Has anyone got this arrangement to work with Puppy 2.12? Per the recommendation in Dougal's dotpup-info.txt file I activated the puppy background, which worked, however after exiting xfce with the save session checked the Puppy background was not saved (when I rebooted there was a plain black background. I really do like the menu systems and panel that comes with this windows manager, however; before I go forward with XDG menus I want to make sure that I can get ROX pinboard working. Without the pinboard I will likely scrap it and go back to JWM. If I get all of this working an ISO will be forthcoming. Included in the ISO will be:
Open Office 2.03 (with desktop icons, file associations, etc...)
Firefox 2
GimpShop
Wine0.9.26 (unfortunately I haven't been able to get e-sword working in 2.12)
Sylpheed
and all of the puppy standards and a few more.
I am currently running a remaster at about 117mb and it has been very nice for Web development, general use and some tinkering
Jason.

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

I don't know much about the session manager. It bugs me, so I didn't use it. If you open a terminal and re-start the pinboard, it might save it.

rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
I just disabled the session manager and made my .xinitrc look like this:

CURRENTWM="`cat /etc/windowmanager`"
if [ "$CURRENTWM" = "xfce" ];then
 xfce-mcs-manager
 xfwm4 --daemon
 #xftaskbar4&
 #xfdesktop&
 #xfcalendar & 
 xfce4-panel
else

#v2.11 GuestToo suggested this improvement...
 which $CURRENTWM && exec $CURRENTWM
 [ -x $CURRENTWM ] && exec $CURRENTWM
 exec jwm
fi
###END###
at the end.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

can8v

#6 Post by can8v »

Pizzasgood,
I ran the command you suggested and it did start the pinboard, but like you suspected the session manager didn't save it. I have also notice some peculiar behavior from the session manager. I don't care for the desktop, mostly because it doesn't seem useful. I do really like the windows manager, panel and taskbar though. I tried your .xinitrc configuration, but I am not sure what it is supposed to do. It appears behave exactly as it did before, although I didn't comment out the taskbar. Oh, I did notice one thing that is different. With the calendar commented out it doesn't popup, which is nice.
Jason

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

The only other thing I can think of is if the session manager has a checkbox you need to uncheck for my method to work. Otherwise I'm out of ideas :(

Pizzasgood

#8 Post by Pizzasgood »

Okay, I installed the package today, and I found the problem. I had forgotten that the package automatically edits .xinitrc and makes an entry that starts it with the session manager. If you replace the bottom chunk with what I posted, then scroll up a bit and find the other entry for xfce and remove that, it should disable the session manager and anything that was commented.

Now I just need to get my old configuration back up, and then I can do my post-lab in style 8)

Dougal

#9 Post by Dougal »

Please note that my dotpup creates two code-blocks in .xinitrc: one using "xfce" and the other "xfce4" and that my instructions tell you to change to the non-default one if you want the pinboard running!
The second code-block comes after the pinboard is activated, so that's the one you want to work with (while the default runs before the pinboard activation, to prevent it from pointlessly running in the background without being seen/used).

To prevent the calendar from running every time you can:
a) kill it, then save the session without it
b) comment it out in /usr/etc/…/xfce-session.rc (or whatever it's called…)
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

can8v

#10 Post by can8v »

Thanks for the tips dougal and pizzasgood. I have been extremely busy with school (finals and term papers), but the semester is almost over and I can't wait to get back to my Puppy projects (especially XFCE).