How to not run Puppy as root?

Booting, installing, newbie
subhas

How to not run Puppy as root?

#1 Post by subhas »

Newbie suestion:
Does puppy starts with root account by default?
If yes, how to change it to non root account?
Thanks.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

read this
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Security

and do a forum search for "spot"

hope that helps :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

subhas

#3 Post by subhas »

Thanks for the limk.
I have gone through it.
But my problem is that, as I am running live cd as a root, is there any possibility of my accidentally deleting something from my hard disc?
Regards.

Ganymedes

#4 Post by Ganymedes »

Yep, but there may be accidents and "accidents". I have touched this subject in my recent thread "How to disable hard disk usage ?" (in here, in the beginners section). I am trying to prevent "some other user" deleting or even reading the files of my hard disk.

I think I have figured that out now (with a lot of help of course) and there is a list what I did for achieving this.

But, if I would try to prevent a hacker (even with modest capabilities) from doing this, I probably would need to force the user to no other than an ordinary user log in ... since there is no limit what a "root" user can do in the end.

randiroo76073

#5 Post by randiroo76073 »

If your running a straight cd setup[ie: multi-session] how about passwording just access to hdd, is that what your thinking? or something else.
Ah, I think I see, it would have to be multi-user then.
Randy
aka: randiroo76073

Some ask Y, I say Ynot!

Ganymedes

#6 Post by Ganymedes »

I am not quite sure who's post you are referring to randiroo, but from my perspective ...

I mean that if you are running as a root, you have access to everything and can do everything in the end. I do not know how to "disable hard disk usage" or "password it" as a single action, because there are many ways of "accessing" it. Like partititioning it again, mounting it from a command line and such.

So in my case I ripped out all the ways I could find (a better list is in the other thread). What comes to reading the hard disk, actually, I only disabled NTFS filesystems on a IDE hard disk, which was sufficient for me. Disabling others is more difficult, because also other devices (like USB Flahs) have FAT/FAT32 and some other devices are mounted using the same hard disk files (like sda1) than a hard disk is.

randiroo76073

#7 Post by randiroo76073 »

Ganymedes, uhh, sorry, kinda random thinking outloud :roll:
Randy
aka: randiroo76073

Some ask Y, I say Ynot!

Ganymedes

#8 Post by Ganymedes »

Hehe :) ... and I am just speculating about this aloud ... and wanting to keep this active so that we could get more advice from the knowledgeable people on this Forum :) .