bootsplash not loading

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
kkpal

bootsplash not loading

#1 Post by kkpal »

hi
I follow the procedure described at this link:
http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... d3fac36e77
to load bootsplash. I download pebble-v0.4-puppy214.tar.gz and followed the steps.
But bootsplash is not loading? At the time of booting only blank screen get displayed.

EDIT:
my system is booting properly but it does not displying any images (its look like blank screen but it is definetly not). I giving you some more information:
bootsysinit.log file shows
FATAL: Error inserting apm (/lib/modules/2.6.18.1/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.ko): No such device
and
xerrs.log file shows
(EE) Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist, 0).
Last edited by kkpal on Thu 06 Dec 2007, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

Sorry for the delay. This is the first time I've been able to visit the forum in over a week.

So you just get a plain blank screen, with no blinking cursors or anything? I have several guesses. I'll come back after I do some quick testing to narrow down the list. Top of my list is the frame buffer you chose (assuming you used vga=773 like in your earlier post). I'm not sure if Pebble will work properly with only 256 colors. I didn't write the image loading functions myself (doing so is on my long term to-do list though), so I'm not entirely sure what they can handle.

So, I'm going to go finish up with the forum then run some tests.

EDIT:
Okay, 256 colors is fine. It makes everything look trippin', but it's definitely not a blank screen.

The only other reason I can think of for a (truly) blank screen is if the initrd.gz file didn't get replaced correctly. Then you'd boot with a framebuffer, but the stock initrd.gz file doesn't load (or even have) the fbcon module, so you just get a blank screen.

Another possibility is that the screen isn't truly blank, because there's a blinking cursor. In that case, you're probably not using any frame buffer (same as setting vga=normal), but Pebble is still hiding the output, leaving you with what looks like a blank screen.

If neither of those ideas solve it, I can't help anymore without more data.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]