Puppy instead of SUSE

Booting, installing, newbie
mikehammer

Puppy instead of SUSE

#1 Post by mikehammer »

Hello !

On my Laptop i have installed SUSE 10.0 and Win XP. Now i'd like to install Puppy 2.10 instead of SUSE. I want to install Puppy so that it boots from Harddrive. I tried this yesterday, but after rebooting the System my GRUB Bootloader was corrupted so that i had to reinstall SUSE again.
Please can someone tell me in short steps how i have to make the installation whithout damaging the bootloader.
Suse is now on dev04 and this partition is formated on reiserfs. Do i have to delete this old Suse partition and format it on ext3.
Sorry but i am a beginner and my eglish is also not very good !

MU

#2 Post by MU »

I would recommend a "frugal" installation, where you only have to copy some files.
Then you use your existing Grub from Suse to boot Puppy.

Description:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=74643#74643

This kind of installation has some advantages over a full installation, I use it myself.
more info:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=75752#75752

Mark

marksouth2000

#3 Post by marksouth2000 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Puppy doesn't support ReiserFS. You would do better to reformat that partition as ext3 with

Code: Select all

mke2fs -j /dev/hdxx
In fact, no one will be supporting ReiserFS for a very long time...! :twisted:

Braden

#4 Post by Braden »

I agree with MU, frugal installation has advantages over the conventional hard drive install. If you have ample RAM, Puppy takes advantage of it by running completely from RAM, where it is at its fastest. I take the running of Suse 10 (which I also came to Puppy from) and XP on the laptop as sufficient evidence for "ample RAM" :wink:

Then you can insert Puppy (and make it the default, of course) into GRUB's /boot/grub/menu.lst under the existing Suse GRUB installation. This will give you the boot-time selection between Puppy and Suse. (and XP? I have no experience with booting it from GRUB)

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

I don't know if Puppy boots from ReiserFS, but it can mount it after it's running.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Gn2

#6 Post by Gn2 »

VERY thankful Puppy has default support for Reiserfs !
If by any unfortunate circumstance, Reiserfs becomes deprecated:

I would need to re-examine (on other O/Sys hard drive install) use of Ext3 (or perhaps Xfs)
No views on Reiser4 - I do not believe in tempting fates too often.

Need a smoke & coffee - reflections on above were unsettling to my nerves.
By your leave, I now depart.

mikehammer

#7 Post by mikehammer »

Hello again !

I have made now a "frugal installation".
That means i booted from CD went to setup-Universal Installer and choosed coexist.
Than i added in boot/grub/menu.lst the path for puppy.
Everything works fine so far. The only thing ist that when i change the standart-mouse from ps2 to usb, after a reboot the changes are lost and i have to navigate per mousepad again to the assistent where i can change the mouse and have to take the changes again.
It is the same with the bookmarks for mozilla browser. When i import my bookmarks they are lost after a reboot.
On the other side when i import bookmarks in firefox the changes are still there after a reeboot. Also the other changes like network (ip adress, gateway and nameserver) or desktop-background are ok after a reeboot.
Please can anybody help me?
Thanks

mikehammer

#8 Post by mikehammer »

Hi! Nobody any idea ?