Fix Firefox's download button "Open Containing Folder" issue

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Moat

#1 Post by Moat »

So... you know the annoying issue of how in various Puppies and Linux distros, when selecting "Open Containing Folder" from Firefox's (and it's brethren) Download toolbar button's right-click context menu or "Show All Downloads" window - it'll ask for "need to select an application to open" and no selection (such as the file manager/Rox) ever works, to successfully open the targeted Downloads (or whichever chosen) directory?

Geoffrey and I dug up a super simple fix (while chasing a bug of multiple directories opening instead) that works on Carolina 1.2 and Precise 5.7.1, and who knows - maybe all Linux distros that show this nagging behavior!

For Carolina...
Geoffrey wrote:... there is a defaults.list in /usr/share/applications, so I added inode/directory=Thunar.desktop there instead.
... fixed Carolina's opening of three downloads directories - it now opens the desired one.

And for Precise, I found this works - adding...

Code: Select all

inode/directory=ROX-Filer-file-manager.desktop
... to the defaults.list in /usr/share/applications. Precise now opens the Downloads directory as it should.

If you have either issue, give it a shot - maybe having to tweak the path text to match your particular system's file manager .desktop file's name, if different - and report back!

:)

Bob

Puppus Dogfellow

Re: Fix Firefox's download button "Open Containing Folder" issue

#2 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Moat wrote:So... you know the annoying issue of how in various Puppies and Linux distros, when selecting "Open Containing Folder" from Firefox's (and it's brethren) Download toolbar button's right-click context menu or "Show All Downloads" window - it'll ask for "need to select an application to open" and no selection (such as the file manager/Rox) ever works, to successfully open the targeted Downloads (or whichever chosen) directory?

Geoffrey and I dug up a super simple fix (while chasing a bug of multiple directories opening instead) that works on Carolina 1.2 and Precise 5.7.1, and who knows - maybe all Linux distros that show this nagging behavior!

For Carolina...
Geoffrey wrote:... there is a defaults.list in /usr/share/applications, so I added inode/directory=Thunar.desktop there instead.
... fixed Carolina's opening of three downloads directories - it now opens the desired one.

And for Precise, I found this works - adding...

... to the defaults.list in /usr/share/applications. Precise now opens the Downloads directory as it should.

If you have either issue, give it a shot - maybe having to tweak the path text to match your particular system's file manager .desktop file's name, if different - and report back!

:)

Bob
thank you!

(fixes the problem in precise 5.5 and 5.6.1 as well)

Moat

#3 Post by Moat »

Oh, good - I'm not just imagining things, then. :) Thanks for the report, Puppus!

Bob

B.K. Johnson

#4 Post by B.K. Johnson »

As I am using slacko-5.7 in which the file-manager is ROX, I used your suggestion:

Sad to say it didn't work.

Nobody mentioned ROX in my browsing but the bug seems to have been in several file managers for a long time

B.K. Johnson

disciple

#5 Post by disciple »

If there's a "bug", it's not in the file managers :)
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

B.K. Johnson

#6 Post by B.K. Johnson »

This might be a good resource for a talented community member to solve this problem.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ed-756855/

B.K. Johnson

666philb

#7 Post by 666philb »

form this thred http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45282

fyujj
Now rox has the -U option to deal with that so here's the how-to:

as root, make a new file /usr/local/bin/roxuri and copy the following into it:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
exec rox -U "$@"

make the new file executable for all by using ROX or by issuing the command:
Code:
chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/roxuri

open Firefox/Iceweasel and set it to use the script to open files with Edit -> Preferences -> Applications: file and selecting /usr/local/bin/roxuri
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

B.K. Johnson

#8 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@666philb
You missed the post in the thread that followed the one you quoted. It provides the related fix for seamonkey.

I'm using Seamonkey 2.19 and there was no "file" content type under Edit > Preferences > Helper Applications. In this case, go to Tools > Download Manager > right-click a download > Open Containing Folder > Choose... > choose the roxuri file from fyujj's instructions. If the containing folder opens, repeat the process ticking the 'remember my choice' box. 
Have not tried it.

B.K. Johnson

Smithy

#9 Post by Smithy »

Great, that fix works in DPup Wheezy, and yes it was a mildly annoying little thing!

chillinfart

#10 Post by chillinfart »

I tried the tip for slacko on 5.7, but now ROX drops 3 windows when with the bug drops two. What i made wrong :( ?

dejan555

#11 Post by dejan555 »

puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

MikeyBrat

#12 Post by MikeyBrat »

SO WORKS in the new Slacko 6.3.0!
Thanks 8)

--
Slacko 6.3.0 frugal usb... among so many other Puppies. :D

uio

works in Tahrpup 6.02

#13 Post by uio »

Thanks !

rg66

#14 Post by rg66 »

For Xfce puppies (Carolina, X-slacko, NOP etc...), make a desktop file called exo-open.desktop in /usr/share/applications with this in it:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
NoDisplay=true
Name=exo-open
Exec=exo-open --launch filemanager
Icon=applications-other
Edit /usr/share/applications/defaults.list to have:

inode/directory=exo-open.desktop
and it will open in your default file manager as set in Preferred Applications

Edit: If exo-file-manager.desktop is already there (part of exo pkg), you can just add

inode/directory=exo-file-manager.desktop
to /usr/share/applications/defaults.list
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]