XFCE-4.2.3.2 Desktop Environment (in just over 1MB...)

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
MU

#16 Post by MU »

Dougal uploaded more files, you'll find them here:

http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Desktop-Tools/gtk-themes/
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/WindowManager ... 2/xfmedia/

Dougal might want to write something about them, so I hope it is ok to post the links already.
But they already have readmes.
Mark

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#17 Post by Flash »

Dougal, when I tried the xfce dotpup on my main machine, I was able to configure it with no problem. When I tried it on a different machine (with a 1360 x 768 LCD monitor and which dmesg says has a VIA AGP video adapter with a Twister-K/KT133x/KM133 chipset) it started with such coarse resolution (720 x 400) that much of the desktop doesn't show at all and I can't reconfigure it with the GUI.

I did notice there was something about how to deal with this problem, in the helpful readme you put in the installation. Naturally I didn't stop to read it before I installed the dotpup and started it. :oops:

I was able to go back to JWM, but I'd like to use xfce instead. I don't know where to find the note that showed up after I installed the dotpup. What to do?
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Pizzasgood

#18 Post by Pizzasgood »

/usr/share/xfce4/dotpup-info.txt

I had to manually search that file out myself for the bit about the session manager.

So far it seems very stable. As of now I plan to use this in a slightly tweaked form in Pizzapup. If it gets glitchy between now and then I'll go back to IceWM, but I think it will be fine. My other computer is still running 109CE with your old xfce package (since May) and doesn't seem to have any problems either.

Very nice. :D
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Dougal

#19 Post by Dougal »

Eyes-Only wrote:How you ever managed to get a 30+meg programme down to this size is completely beyond me. I mean, I realise that you've cut out some of the graphics here and there (eq: Addons panel) and such but this has so many features that it amazes me.
It was never 30MB and I actually didn't really leave anything out. I think you're confusing it with the xfce-4.4 RC's that are being used by the likes of Xubuntu (the current Xubuntu uses RC1 and the previous used the beta).
This is the last stable release, from about a year ago.

I compiled 4.4RC1 a while ago (RC2 was released a few days ago) but am waiting for the final release. I haven't even managed to get it running properly... it still has bugs and is a pain in other ways:
I don't know how much I'll be able to reduce the size of 4.4 since they seem to have changed the way they handle icons, so now if a app doesn't find an icon it gives a segmentation error... this means that I'll have to include the XFCE icon theme... a few more megs.
The apps have also been made bigger it seems...

I also don't see the point in rushing to use the new XFCE since they re-wrote the panel which means that all the plugins have to be re-written... So there are nowhere near as many plugins for the new XFCE as for the old one!
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Dougal

#20 Post by Dougal »

Pizzasgood wrote:/usr/share/xfce4/dotpup-info.txt

I had to manually search that file out myself for the bit about the session manager.
I did write the name of the file at it's top! You fellas don't pay enough attention to what's written.. :wink:
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Pizzasgood

#21 Post by Pizzasgood »

I would have taken note, but I knew I could just deconstruct the dotpup if I needed it. When I said I "had to do a manual search for it" I was meaning more that I needed it than that I looked hard. It was actually in the first place I checked. 8)

As for the icons, you might be able to just replace them with small blank icons. Otherwise you could try symlinking them to Puppy and ROX's icons.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#22 Post by Flash »

Dougal, it just won't work on my other machine. :( I tried every resolution I could find in the xvesa wizard. No matter what I chose, all I got was 720 x 400 or something like that, and all that shows is just a small section of what would be the full window. At least I can still right-click on the desktop to get the menu and try various choices.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

paranoia

#23 Post by paranoia »

It would work perfectly for me, except the dammed thing won't start. Does anyone know where to find libxau.so.6?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#24 Post by Flash »

No, but have you tried Google? :)

john biles

#25 Post by john biles »

Hello Everybody,
XFCE looks great on my Puppy except all the extra packages I've added Like Open Office, Real Player etc aren't include in the Xfce Menu and I can't access them for use.
How do I edit Puppy to include them in the Xfce Menu :?:

Dougal

#26 Post by Dougal »

john biles wrote:all the extra packages I've added Like Open Office, Real Player etc aren't include in the Xfce Menu and I can't access them for use.
In the Setup menu you'll find "XFCE Menu editor". It allows you to add items to the menu.

If you don't know what to add (like the commands), you can open /root/.jwmrc (hidden file) in a text editor and find the entries for your new programs and see which command (in JWM it's preceded with an "exec") runs each. You can also see which icon is use in each...
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Dougal

#27 Post by Dougal »

Pizzasgood wrote:As for the icons, you might be able to just replace them with small blank icons. Otherwise you could try symlinking them to Puppy and ROX's icons.
Yeah, I've got some experience with such cheating (like replacing .png images with links to equivalent jpegs...). I'll look into it when the final version is released.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

john biles

#28 Post by john biles »

Thanks Dougal,
It's taking time but I can now add the extra programs to the Menu.
Xfce looks excellent on my Desktop. Thank you for the Xfce Dotpup :!:

Eyes-Only

#29 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi John (and all),

The way I enter items into the Xfce menu is like this: I go into "/usr/share/applications" and you'll find a lot of .desktop files there. Open one for the category of your programme that you wish it to appear in. (Ex: If a browser open Dillo.desktop and use that as a template.)

Then I simply rewrite the file for my programme keeping the same "Category" and "mimeType" info near the bottom. When it comes to the "icon" you can usually write the pathway to the icon like this: "/usr/share/pixmap/<name>.png" or whatever and if you refresh ROX after saving the .desktop file under your programme's name, you'll see the icon show over the file. Usually the next time you reboot (or even if you reboot the Xfce desktop sometimes) your programme will appear in the menu.

While this sounds complicated and time-consuming it really IS NOT. Takes me just a minute. :)

Another way to do it is to add the programme to the launcher at the bottom. If you right-click on an icon you can add an "arrow extender" to the side of that icon where you may add even more links. I have all my internet things under one, text editors under another, so on and so forth.

I hope these two ideas help?

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Pizzasgood

#30 Post by Pizzasgood »

I'm going to try out the XDG thing when I get a chance, because the idea behind it has always appealed to me. Many times, though, I don't even bother with a menu. I just open a terminal and start the program from there.

vern72023

#31 Post by vern72023 »

I use a 1280 x 1024 LCD and try as I might I cannot get the resolution when using your package. So for me its just not an option which is sad -
george

Dougal

#32 Post by Dougal »

Eyes-Only: you are using a xdg menu. there's an easier way of creating new .desktop files: search the forum for rarsa's "alien-to-xdg" application. It's a wizard to create new .desktop files for installed packages that don't have them.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

MU

#33 Post by MU »

stevenbinion

#34 Post by stevenbinion »

has anyone gotten the xfce packages in this thread to work with Puppy 2.17.1 ??

gray

Xfce

#35 Post by gray »

Yeah, NOP 2.17 has 4.4.1 built-in.