How do I boot from HD without Grub?

Booting, installing, newbie
Monroe

How do I boot from HD without Grub?

#1 Post by Monroe »

Hello to everyone...I am just one day new to Puppy and I love it already. Yesterday I revitalized an older P3 700MHz 128RAM Compaq with loading and installing puppyoffice onto the harddrive. I work for a charity and I am going to probably repeat this on other computers so people who need to cross the so called digital divide can do so by utilizing puppy and open-office apps.

Here is my case:
I formatted the HD from scratch into a EXT3(16GB) and also a Swap(2GB) partition. The computer is exclusively a puppy computer. I followed the good advice from many in this forum and successfully did a HD installation. I found that I had to install GRUB into the MBR to actually boot into puppy.

Question:
Is there a way that the user can puch the power on the computer and directly load up puppy? That is bypassing the Grub dialogue?

Your help is gratefully appreciated.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

In your menu.lst file, try leaving out the "title" line. Then Grub should just execute the following lines instead of setting up a menu.

Monroe

#3 Post by Monroe »

rcrsn51 wrote:In your menu.lst file, try leaving out the "title" line. Then Grub should just execute the following lines instead of setting up a menu.
Thanks for the quick reply. I must ask, how do I edit menu.lst? from within puppy or upon booting?

Sorry as I am a noob - thanks again...

SnowDog

#4 Post by SnowDog »

This isn't going to bypass grub, but it will give you the end result (I think) that you are looking for.
I only add this to the last response, so that you can better understand the mechanics of what you are doing.

Boot to puppy desktop.
Click the home icon.
Click the up arrow (twice I think) to get to where you see a "boot" icon.
Click that, click "grub" click menu.lst (this will open the grub menu)
Find the line that says #Timeout
Remove the hashmark (the # sign from the beginning of that line)
Use the right arrow key to move the cursor over to the end ouf the word timeout.
Put a space after the word "timeout" and put 1 (this gives you a second timeout before grub follows the next instruction... you can further edit this to 0 later if everything is working the way you want it) You can even remove the lines of text from the bottom of the menu.lst, about installing grub, etc., if you don't want them to appear on screen.
Next hit enter to go to a new line.
Now type:
default 0
Assuming that there's only one boot option on the machine (Puppy), then this will boot grub, but automatically boot into the Puppy OS.

If you need more help, just ask.

Thanks for trying Puppy Linux and Good luck to you!
If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.

Monroe

#5 Post by Monroe »

Thank you SnowDog...It worked perfectly!

Puppy is a breath of fresh air!

rarsa

#6 Post by rarsa »

Good that it's working.

Just to expand:

Grub is a Boot manager. You could use other boot managers but you definetivelly need one.

I'm glad that just bypassing the grub menu was enough.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to