Pcdripper (PBcdripper) - version 2.9 posted

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#76 Post by Flash »

A few pops or even an occasional lost word don't detract too much from listening to a book. For ripping books, I'd rather the program simply accepted the occasional read error in a way that doesn't confuse the mp3 conversion program, if that would greatly speed up ripping. However, I'm happy with PBcdripper the way it is.

Nathan F

#77 Post by Nathan F »

Hey, this is nice and pretty close to what I've been looking for. One ting though, can we have an option to rip to ogg? I rarely use mp3.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

plinej

#78 Post by plinej »

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that but since puppy doesn't come with oggenc as default I was hesitant but I think I'll add a rip to ogg and a rip to flac gui. I'll probably have to change a couple of things around like make a button for encode and then a second gui for mp3, ogg, or flac options. I never encode to ogg but am assuming all you need is oggenc right? I'll probably start working on it this week sometime.

Dougal

#79 Post by Dougal »

Nathan F wrote:Hey, this is nice and pretty close to what I've been looking for. One ting though, can we have an option to rip to ogg? I rarely use mp3.
Yes, ogg is definitely important to have. But won't it require the vorbis-tools package? (BTW, I think vorbis-tools should come with Puppy!)
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

plinej

#80 Post by plinej »

I'm not sure, I'll have to start up a fresh copy of 2.13 and see what we need to encode to ogg. I know sox can encode to ogg but will only encode at 128 Kbps and won't let you choose any other setting. I think we could re-compile ffmpeg with ogg support. I'm pretty sure it's supported now.
Last edited by plinej on Tue 02 Jan 2007, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan F

#81 Post by Nathan F »

A good way to do it would be to check if the requisite packages are available (installed) and only offer the option if they are.

And yes, I would support haiving vorbis-tools in Puppy also.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

plinej

#82 Post by plinej »

Yeah, that's probably what I'll end up doing Nathan. The thing is I think we could use oggenc, ffmpeg (if it's recompiled to support ogg) and also sox (with no bit rate options) to encode to ogg. Flac is also supported in the new ffmpeg but is still a little buggy.

plinej

#83 Post by plinej »

I compiled the latest ffmpeg svn with libogg support. It seems to work just fine and you can choose your bit rates. I'll see if Barry can add that and libogg into the next puppy version. Then we can all encode ogg with ffmpeg. It is still buggy with its flac support though, the flac files will play in xmms but will not display times and won't scroll thru the song. I doubt if Barry will want to add this to the Puppy iso though since the libs are more than 1MB bigger even after being stripped.

plinej

#84 Post by plinej »

Okay, I re-configured ffmpeg like this:

--prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --mandir=/usr/man --disable-debug --enable-mp3lame --enable-a52 --enable-gpl --enable-shared --enable-pp --enable-libogg --disable-decoder=alac --disable-decoder=tta --disable-decoder=wv --disable-encoder=flac --disable-decoder=flac --disable-audio-beos --disable-audio-oss --enable-small

and it seems to be more comparable in size with our current version of ffmpeg and it supports everything it did before plus ogg.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#85 Post by Flash »

plinej, I use PBcdripper almost daily, to convert books on CD to mp3 so I can listen to them with my mp3 player at work and with my mp3 CD player in my car. It is perfect for what I use it for, except that the font in the GUI is a bit difficult for me to read (on a 15" LCD at 1024 x 768 resolution.) Would you put something in the help section about how to change the font (i.e., make it bold, or make it bigger?) Puppy's Menu -> Control Panel -> Set global font size doesn't seem to do the job, and I don't want to change other font settings in Puppy without first knowing what they do.

Also, while you're working with PBcdripper, could you maybe move the "Rip" button to the first (top left) position, so I don't wind up hunting for it each time I put in the next CD? :lol:

Thanks again for this great program.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

plinej

#86 Post by plinej »

Well the -ab flag to choose bit rate seems to encode at around 65 Kbps in ogg format no matter what I choose. I'll have to look into it more in depth.

plinej

#87 Post by plinej »

Flash, if you set global font size you need to restart X afterwards for the changes to take effect. Have you tried that? I have the same screen size and everything seems to be displayed at a good size for me. Also I'll probably start over on PBcdripper to accomodate new encoding options and also things I've learned since I wrote it.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#88 Post by Flash »

Thanks. I'll play around with the Global font size setting some more. I only tried it once. I've learned the hard way not to fiddle with settings that don't seem to have any immediate effect. :lol:

plinej

#89 Post by plinej »

Okay encoding to ogg with ffmpeg works with libogg. You can't specify a bitrate but you can choose a varying bit ratio quality level. libogg plus my newly compiled ffmpeg package is about the same size as the existing ffmpeg package so I should be able to get Barry to add it to 2.14. This new ffmpeg also supports wma encoding/decoding so that could be added to PBcdripper too (incase anyone likes that format).

MU

#90 Post by MU »

Flash:
you can choose a custom font for all Gtk applications with this:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... me&t=10616

Mark

Nathan F

#91 Post by Nathan F »

Thanks for adding the ogg support so fast. I was looking hard at several cd rippers for inclusion in Grafpup, and this is a clear winner right now for its speed and small size. You fixed what was my chief concern, although it would be nice to get the bitrate working also.

I noticed you've done a lot of work in this area lately. I'm going to attach a file for you to look at. This is a nautilus script for audio conversion, but it works from within ROX as well, if you symlink it into the OpenWith directory. Even nicer with the new ROX is that you can do that just for a certain filetype, say any audio file. The only issue with using it is that it uses zenity for the gui right now, but I looked at it and I don't imagine it would be too hard to convert it to using Xdialog and gxmessage. I've tried it on a lot of different formats and it works like a champ, maybe you'll be interested enough to port it. If not it's on my todo list.

Nathan
Attachments
audio-convert.gz
(7.96 KiB) Downloaded 375 times
Bring on the locusts ...

Dougal

#92 Post by Dougal »

Plinej: why do you disable oss when compiling ffmpeg? And is there a reason why both you and Barry do not enable threads? I run some app that uses ffmpeg and it gave a message about thread support not being enabled and that it has to emulate threads…

Are you sure libogg isn't in Puppy already?? I don't recall needing to add it (or is it part of vorbis-tools?).
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

plinej

#93 Post by plinej »

dougal, libogg is already in Puppy, wasn't sure if it was or not. I'll recompile with oss and threads and see what size it makes the libs.

Nathan, I'll take a look at that audio convert script. What I'll probably do with the ogg encoding is if the gui finds oggenc I'll use that with bit rates enabled otherwise I'll use my newly compiled ffmpeg with quality settings.

plinej

#94 Post by plinej »

BTW, I've created Soxgui & PupLosslessAudioTool which will convert between audio formats. Soxgui uses sox and ffmpeg to convert between all supported formats. PupLosslessAudioTool converts between flac, shn, ape, wav, & mp3. Both of the latest versions are posted in this forum.

plinej

#95 Post by plinej »

dougal, I re-compiled like this:

./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --mandir=/usr/man --disable-debug --enable-mp3lame --enable-a52 --enable-gpl --enable-shared --enable-pp --enable-libogg --disable-decoder=alac --disable-decoder=tta --disable-decoder=wv --disable-encoder=flac --disable-decoder=flac --disable-audio-beos --enable-small --enable-pthreads

It made the whole package maybe about 15 k bigger than the current puppy version so shouldn't be a problem in getting Barry to use it.