Pcdripper (PBcdripper) - version 2.9 posted

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
klhrevolutionist

#31 Post by klhrevolutionist »

plinej: To answer your question about the size of the frame, no.

But I fixed it for my machine. You need to resize your "scan disc results frame"
to 'w 120' 'h 120'

Other than that I am satisfied & hope you mention this app to BK so as to replace ripperX. That is unless you do not wish to not update..

My first request was for a quick cd rip to a chosen directory. I suggest a couple other quick buttons to do other jobs. If your up to it.

Personally I have been working on some small scripts to do simple task like converting this to that...
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

plinej

#32 Post by plinej »

Thanks klhrevolutionist, I'll update the results box size. As for the quick rip function you can use the set button after setting all of your defaults and click on the user button to execute them. Everytime afterwards you can just click on the user button to execute your pre-designated defaults. The /root/.pbcdripper folder will need to be backed up for this to work. I, or maybe Mark, will work on implementing a better user default setup but for now it'll work the way I specified. You can read more in the help section of the app.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#33 Post by Flash »

Plinej, where does PBcdripper put the mp3 files? If I tell it to put them all in the same folder, will it overwrite old files with new files of the same name? (Sorry, I downloaded your program but haven't got to the library yet to check out a CD book to try it on.)

plinej

#34 Post by plinej »

Select the directory you want to rip to by clicking the folder button, and yes files will be overwritten if you rip to the same directory. I would just rip disc 1 with "disc01-" in the preceding name for tracks field and "disc02-" for disc 2 and so on. That way the newer files won't overwrite the old and you can rip to the same folder.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#35 Post by Flash »

Thanks. I'll try it this weekend. :D

plinej

#36 Post by plinej »

updated to 1.2, just a couple of small fixes.

plinej

#37 Post by plinej »

Flash's post in the PBrename thread:
I also thought of a modification to plinej's PBcdripper which I think will make it do what I want. :lol: I'd add an "Audio Book" button that does two things. The first I think may be easy: make the track number three digits long, 001, 002, etc., instead of just two digits, 01, 02, etc.. The second may be more of a challenge: when the same folder is chosen as the target folder for mp3s from several CDs, look in the target folder for the mp3 file with the highest number, then add one to that for the next mp3 file. (I'm assuming that if you choose the same folder now, PBcdripper will overwrite the existing files, 01, 02, etc., with the new ones of the same name.)
My reply:

cdparanoia's default output is track01.cdda.wav, track02.cdda.wav, etc...
I used sed to remove track & .cdda from that leaving only 01, 02, 03, etc...
I'm not sure what the default would be for 100+ track cd but it may possibly already automatically default to 001, 002, 003, etc... You'll have to let me know if does. I've got an audio book on cd somewhere around the house if I find it I'll check for myself. As for the other suggestion I'd really have to think about how to implement that but like I said before I'd just use the "Enter preceding name for tracks" box and put in "disc01-" for disc 1 and so on. That way your mp3s will still be in chronological order when you burn to cd. Otherwise you could use the "output to single track" checkbox which would output the entire cd to one track.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#38 Post by Flash »

Thanks, plinej.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I think I got everything set up right, but nothing happens when I click "rip." The CD plays in Gxine, so I know that the computer can read it ok. Here's everything I could think to put in a screenshot.
Attachments
PBcdripper screenshot.jpg
(95.54 KiB) Downloaded 860 times
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

plinej

#39 Post by plinej »

Flash, I'm not sure what you're doing wrong either. Do you have the file /etc/cdromdevice ?
Your terminal says no such file. Barry's puppy cd wizard should enter your selected cdrom reader device to that file. Also when you click on the folder to select your directory you need to select something otherwise your files will rip to /root/

plinej

#40 Post by plinej »

I just set the exact same settings as you and am currently ripping a disc with those options.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#41 Post by Flash »

Huh, no /etc/cdromdevice. I don't remember doing anything that would have deleted it. Are you using Puppy 2.11?

plinej

#42 Post by plinej »

Yes, I'm running 2.11. You may have to run Barry's Puppy CD/DVD drive wizard and choose your cdrom reader even though the default may be right. I thought the defaults automatically are written to /etc/ but maybe they aren't. I'll have to look into that and possibly come up with a fix. I could just have a script that looks for /etc/cdromdevice and if it doesn't find it then it will write it with a default hdb. I'll do that tonight if I've got time.

plinej

#43 Post by plinej »

What I'll do is if it can't find that file it will just use /dev/cdrom as the default.

MU

#44 Post by MU »

I think Flash uses a multisession-CD , and has no harddisk.

Maybe for this reason there is no /dev/cdromdevice.
Maybe it just appears, if Pup_save.3fs is on a harddisk (not on a CD).
Mark

plinej

#45 Post by plinej »

1.3 update will be up in a minute. I changed the scripts around to read the cdrom device from /tmp/pbripper-cdromdevice which will be written by pbcdripper.

#!/bin/sh
if [ "`ls /etc/cdromdevice`" = "" ]
then
echo cdrom > /tmp/pbripper-cdromdevice
else
cat /etc/cdromdevice > /tmp/pbripper-cdromdevice
fi

That should fix the problem of having no /etc/cdromdevice and will just use the default /dev/cdrom that puppy will automatically symlink to. You of course can run Barry's wizard to create /etc/cdromdevice too.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#46 Post by Flash »

Yes, I'm running Puppy from a multisession DVD with no hard drive. I see that I'm actually running 2.10, not 2.11, but I doubt that makes any difference. I ran the Menu -> Setup -> CD/DVD drive wizard, but nothing changed. I will await your version 1.3. :) Thanks.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#47 Post by Flash »

Okay, it sees the CD reader now. Boy, what settings did you use for ripping? RipperX is a snail by comparison. :) Unfortunately, something seems to have gone wrong with the mp3 conversion. It seems to think it converted the wav files but there's nothing in the resulting mp3 files.
Attachments
PBcdripper-1.3_test.jpg
(108.9 KiB) Downloaded 515 times

plinej

#48 Post by plinej »

First off the ripping is much faster when you disable paranoia and/or extra paranoia which will make cdparanoia rip like cdda2wav. cdda2wav is faster but cdparanoia is better because it does more checks and therefore should give you an exact copy everytime. As for the mp3 issue I'm really not sure, It still works fine for me. I just set up PBcdripper exactly like you did in the picture and my files encoded and play fine. Anyone else?

plinej

#49 Post by plinej »

It could be an issue with using your ram to store the ripped files, maybe it filled up and caused errors. If you don't have an internal hard drive to rip to, do you have an external drive? You may also want to just try and rip and encode one track instead of the whole cd to see if it possibly is an issue with filling up your ram or if you're somehow missing a library or executable. You may want to reboot before you try and rip the single track so you can clear out your ram and start fresh. I've got to get to bed but I'll check back in the morning.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#50 Post by Flash »

I did think to try just one track before I shut down last night. It rips and encodes a single track perfectly.

I seem to remember this happening with RipperX too. I don't remember what I did, if anything, to make it work but I kept tinkering and finally it did.

I'm pretty sure I experimented with turning off paranoia, in an attempt to speed up ripping in RipperX, but I was still disappointed.

There's certainly enough RAM in the computer. Freemem showed 1.8G when I started.

How can I change the program so that if "encode to mp3" is checked, it encodes each track (and then discards the wav) before ripping the next track? That would be more in keeping with Puppy's low-resource philosophy. :)

Again, thanks for the great program.