Pcdripper (PBcdripper) - version 2.9 posted

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
plinej

#106 Post by plinej »

Hmm, that's weird. Everything works okay for me. Try to re-install 1.8 and run PBcdripper from rxvt to see if any errors show up.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#107 Post by Flash »

I reinstalled the 1.8 dotpup. Clicking on anything still had no effect, so I entered "pbcdripper" in a console window and got back "command not found." This time, rather than simply overwriting the 1.8 with the old 1.5 dotpup, I got fancy and used the pet wizard to uninstall PBcdripper before reinstalling 1.5 from the dotpup. Now, after reinstalling the 1.5 dotpup, PBcdripper does not show up anywhere in the Menu, and entering "pbcdripper" in a console still returns "command not found." However, clicking "PBcdripper" in the /usr/local/PBcdripper directory starts the program.

To review: the first time I tried the 1.8 dotpup it didn't work, but installing the 1.5 dotpup over it returned PBcdripper to its prior state. The second time I tried the 1.8 dotpup it didn't work, but I uninstalled it with the .pet wizard before I reinstalled the 1.5 dotpup, and now PBcdripper still won't work, except by clicking the executable shell script found in /usr/local/PBcdripper.

I'll leave it like it is for a while, in case you need me to poke around in my computer and tell you what's there, or not there that should be.-
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

plinej

#108 Post by plinej »

You have to type "PBcdripper" in the terminal not "pbcdripper". I'm really curious why it won't start for you since it works fine for me. Anyone else try this yet?

plinej

#109 Post by plinej »

Try to re-download. I think the problem was my post install script. Even though it worked fine for me installing the first time it seemed to cause problems on subsequent attempts.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#110 Post by Flash »

Okay, I downloaded a fresh copy of 1.8 and installed it, then rebooted. Still nothing happens when I click on anything. This time I typed PBcdripper in a console, and got this:

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# PBcdripper
cat: /tmp/pbcdripper/cbox1: No such file or directory
cat: /tmp/pbcdripper/cbox2: No such file or directory
cat: /tmp/pbcdripper/cbox3: No such file or directory
cat: /tmp/pbcdripper/cbox4: No such file or directory
cat: /tmp/pbcdripper/cbox5: No such file or directory
cat: /tmp/pbcdripper/cbox6: No such file or directory
cat: /tmp/pbcdripper/cbox7: No such file or directory
sh-3.00#

Here's what's in my /tmp directory:

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# ls /tmp
bootcnt.txt          missingmods2122.txt  serialstuff
bootkernel.log       modprobes.log        testeide.txt
bootsysinit.log      oldmousedevice       xerrs.log
sh-3.00#
Also, when I uninstalled 1.8 using the .pet wizard, the entry for PBcdripper was removed from both the dotpup part of the Menu and the Multimedia part. When I reinstalled 1.5, neither entry was restored, and the same for installing 1.8 just now. There is now no PBcdripper anywhere in the Menu.

plinej

#111 Post by plinej »

I think I know what your problem is Flash. If you have a /root/.pbcdripper directory than delete it and retry. I think I'll need to modify my script a little bit to rectify that situation. As for the no directory entries I'm unsure why it wouldn't be there. Maybe it has something to do with how the new Petget manager works. I'm in 2.11 right now since I have messed up audio in 2.12 and 2.13. I'll have to look into that.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#112 Post by Flash »

You were right, plinej. Apparently the /root/.PBcdripper directory was what kept 1.8 from installing, because after the directory was deleted 1.8 installed fine. I'm using it right now. This is my preliminary report. I'll have more to say after I've used it more. I just want to get things down before I forget anything.

I notice that there is no longer an option not to insert a pause between tracks. Is that because it isn't done by default? I don't want a pause inserted.

The first CD I tried ripping and converting to mp3, PBcdripper finished track 6 and then wouldn't even start the next track. It didn't appear to be trying to read the CD at all, although the light on the drive flickered occasionally. I killed the rip process with the new button, then restarted it, this time specifying to rip the range of tracks from 7-20. It finished the CD after that, although the last track turned out to be a problem. These books on CD I get from my local library are pretty badly scratched and abused. That may be why, although it's never stopped like that before. I'm pretty sure it was the CD and not a bug in the program.

After it finished CD number 1, I noticed a file 01-00.mp3 in the save directory. It turned out to be a duplicate of track 01. When I ripped CD number 2, there was no 02-00.mp3 created.

One slight problem: each time 1.8 starts ripping or converting a new track, a new rxvt window opens in whichever desktop I'm working, to announce the fact. 1.5 didn't do that. I usually start PBcdripper in the desktop I'm not using, then let it rip and convert a CD while I work on something else in the other desktop. Having to stop what I'm doing and deal with a rxvt window popping up (as while I'm typing this) is a bit annoying. :) (By the way, could you start that rxvt window at 79 wide, or perhaps put in the excellent help file how to set its default width and position?)

1.8 is looking really good, plinej. Thanks again. PBcdripper is perfect for what I use it for.[/list]
Attachments
PBcdripper 1.8 settings.jpg
(43.7 KiB) Downloaded 687 times

plinej

#113 Post by plinej »

Flash, that must've been a problem with the cd as I can't say why that would happen. The lame --nogap option seems a little buggy and I don't notice any difference when not using it. For some reason it produces the mp3 and then produces a mp3.mp3, which PBcdripper 1.5 and before would just delete that second file. Point taken with the rxvt popup windows, I'll have to create another script to execute within the current script like I did with the older versions. Shouldn't be a problem at all. I'm not sure what that 01-00 track would be either, haven't came across that in my testing. Let me know if it does that on the next cd you rip.

plinej

#114 Post by plinej »

Ok, I made some updates for 1.9. Changed rxvt width to 79. Now when rip is executed there will only be one rxvt popup until the rip/conversion process is over. Revised the script a bit incase correct files aren't found in /root/.pbcdripper directory. I'm ripping a cd now and will post the update when it successfully completes.

plinej

#115 Post by plinej »

okay 1.9 is now up.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#116 Post by Flash »

Thanks, plinej. I checked out several books-on-CD from my local library, so I'll be able to give 1.9 a thorough test in the next day or two.

plinej

#117 Post by plinej »

Thanks Flash, your input is more than welcome.

Nathan F

#118 Post by Nathan F »

Hmm, this is odd. I just installed 1.9 and the new ffmpeg, but I still don't have a button for ogg encoding. This is the first time I've tried it since Puppy-2.13 first came out, and I was excited about the ogg encoding. I might need some help to get up to speed with this.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#119 Post by Nathan F »

Never mind, one of the dotpups didn't install right. I went looking around and the so was missing for libavcodec, checked the dotpups and it was in there. Ogg button is there now, and I'm giving it a good test.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#120 Post by Nathan F »

Well, it's amazingly simple and fast in use, I can't complain one bit. I'll probably get a good bit of mileage out of it.

One small niggle design-wise, the frame names are maybe a little innapropriate in two cases. The 'checkboxes' frame could be better described as 'paranoia' or 'settings', and the top level frame might be better as just the program name rather than as 'ripping gui'. I'll probably change around the button icons for in Grafpup, if you don't mind, but other than that I don't see where you could have done better with what you're working with. It's a nice simple program.

One thing I miss when I rip with a smaller program, though, is having the track names and tags imported right. I use Sound-Juicer in Gnome and the thing get's all the info right 99.5% of the time. I've just finished ripping almost my entire cd collection (quite extensive) and I think I'd have been lost without that capability. But this little program is great for it's size.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

plinej

#121 Post by plinej »

Nathan, feel free to do whatever you'd like with it for the grafpup version. I'll keep your suggestions in mind for the next version. As for the track names and tags I never really cared for those features but I'll look into how all that works.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#122 Post by Flash »

For what I use PBcdripper for, ripping audio books and converting them to mp3, the tags cause problems. Programs that expect them don't deal gracefully with it when they can't find them.

Nathan F

#123 Post by Nathan F »

I use a program called eztag in Fedora. It can do operations in bulk, and can edit every bit of meta-data the files will hold. I'll have to see how hard it would be to get up and running in Puppy, if I remember right there weren't too many dependencies. Of course that doesn't take care of the tags when you do the ripping, it just gives a way to edit them after the fact.

During the ripping process if I remember correctly Sound-Juicer calls a network database to retrieve album info. I don't remember what libs it needs to do the job, though. I bet there would be a problem with dependencies.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Dougal

#124 Post by Dougal »

Nathan F wrote:I use a program called eztag in Fedora. It can do operations in bulk, and can edit every bit of meta-data the files will hold. I'll have to see how hard it would be to get up and running in Puppy, if I remember right there weren't too many dependencies. Of course that doesn't take care of the tags when you do the ripping, it just gives a way to edit them after the fact.
I've compiled on Puppy quite a few programs for both ripping and editing tags, if anyone's interested.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Nathan F

#125 Post by Nathan F »

Yes, I'm interested. Links are appreciated.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...