[Puppy 210] Migrating from Puppy 2.10 to PuppyPro 2.10

Using applications, configuring, problems
slapshot

[Puppy 210] Migrating from Puppy 2.10 to PuppyPro 2.10

#1 Post by slapshot »

Hi everybody,

currently on my notebook I'm using Puppy 2.10R1 SeaMonkey with cd boot and a personal storage file on a linux partition on my hd.
I wonder if it is possibile to boot from cd PuppyPro 2.10 having the possibility to read my currently personal storage file. Consider that I installed Firefox, Opera, Thunderbird, Education Tux Software etc..

Thanks
Slapshot

MU

#2 Post by MU »

Make a backup of that file.
Then try it.
This won't break anything, as you can restore the backup if something goes wrong.

Very simple with Puppy :)
Mark

slapshot

#3 Post by slapshot »

ery simple with Puppy Smile
And very powerful I would add :-). I will try and let you know.

It is the same thing for Puppy 2.11 ? I can try without break anything or there is some kind of conversion to do ?

Thanks
Slapshot

slapshot

#4 Post by slapshot »

OK I'm trying rigth now Puppy 2.10 Professional with my pup3_save.sfs personal storage file and it seems to work with no problem. I got all the background image, I have more readible fonts but I miss of OpenOffice and other software are in PuppyPro. Is it rigth so ? You now, all the software I installed are on pup3_save.sfs I believe so it would seem rigth so. It's ok ?

Thanks
Slapshot

MU

#5 Post by MU »

OpenOffice is part of the "Pro" Puppy.
Using now 2.11 means to loose all the programs, that were additional in Pro.

You could install OpenOffice as extrapackage:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=11802

Mark

slapshot

#6 Post by slapshot »

Mark, I know that OpenOffice is part of Puppy 2.10 Pro. I didn't install OO in my Puppy 2.10 (not Pro) but now trying Puppy Pro 2.10 boot disk I expected to find OO and using my personal storage file with no problem. Actually, just the second option is rigth but I did not find any track of openoffice. Maybe I don't know the base structure of Puppy very well, so is it rigth so ?

Thanks
Slapshot

p.s. Never tried Puppy 2.11 yet.

MU

#7 Post by MU »

ah, I misunderstood you, sorry.

Yes if you had a savefile from Puppy 210, and then boot PuppyPro, you should see OpenOffice.
As it is in the pupPro_210.sfs or however the read-only file with the base-system is called.

Maybe your pup_save did not get updated, because of this:
you have a file /etc/puppyversion.
It should have a line "210".
To force the upgrade, you might have to enter with the texteditor a older value like 202.
This should force the update.

This might force Puppy to replace the current .jwmrc (the menu) with the one from PuppyPro (and also some other files).

Be shure to make a copy of pup_save.3fs first as a backup, in case the upgrade breaks things.
Mark

slapshot

#8 Post by slapshot »

Oh yes Mark :shock: This is really great :-) and powerful.
Now I have Puppy 210 pro beta on my notebook ;-). Now I'm not at home and I cannot make another shot but I would like to understand better Puppy so please let me know now if I want to go back to classic 79 Mb Puppy 210 the only thing is just to boot from this kind of cd after an etc/puppyversion row variation to 202 ?

You know, we are preparing our first Linux Day for Oct 28 and I would like to shock people with this kind of powerful and flex together ;-)

Thanks
Antonio

MU

#9 Post by MU »

Might work, not shure.
So what happened?

You have set the version to 202, and booted with the PuppyPro CD.
It upgraded your savefile to PupyPro.

The same might work the other way round.
Might work, but no guarantee.

You can do something else.
You now have
pup_save.3fs for PuppyPro.
Now copy your old backuped file to
pup_save210.3fs

Then next time you boot, you will get a small "menu" (very simple, you must enter a number).
It will let you choose, which save-file to use.
It will look like this:

-------------------------
Enter number:
0 boot to RAM
1 use pup_save.3fs
2 use pup_save210.3fs
-------------------------

So if you boot with PuppyPro, you would choose "1".
If you boot with normal Puppy 210, you would choose "2".

Like this you can boot different versions of Puppy 2 without always modifying your files.
And you can boot to RAM (without using a savefile) to test new programs, where you don't know if they will work correct.
If they work you would install them again using the savefile after a reboot.

Mark

slapshot

#10 Post by slapshot »

Thanks Mark, always more wondered of Puppy's Power :-O.
Then next time you boot, you will get a small "menu" (very simple, you must enter a number).
It will let you choose, which save-file to use.
So, because also my little daughters are using Linux now ;-), in the worst of hypothesis that someone can miss the rigth file numer to use I will have for example PuppyPro in boot cd but without OO, for example.

If it is so this is not a great problem I believe, just missing some office programs it's not a problem for they are searching for SuperTux, TuxMath and Tux2Type and GCompris :-)

Thanks
Antonio

MU

#11 Post by MU »

yes, in your case it is no problem.
You could use different background-pictures in every file, so that your daughter immedeatly sees: "Uuups, loaded the wrong file, must reboot again".
Or use a password.

It would be a problem, if you use completely different versions, like Puppy 210 and 211.
If you choose the wrong number, you would upgrade the 210 savefile to 211.

I use this method to test new versions, but always use backups then just in case I hit the wrong number, what can happen too easy.

Mark