2.10 LiveCD hangs at SDD [resolved]

Booting, installing, newbie
trashy

2.10 LiveCD hangs at SDD [resolved]

#1 Post by trashy »

seems to be attempting to recognize all of my 7-in-1 media readers - hangs at SDD, just freezes - if I hit return I get a # prompt and can navigate but boot process halts..........

Isn't it supposed to end up w/ a GUI?
Last edited by trashy on Sat 07 Oct 2006, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Yes, Puppy should boot up with a GUI, and a beautiful one too. :)

Which version of Puppy are you using?

Do you have any media plugged into the universal reader when you boot Puppy?

Either way, I believe there is a "cheat code" you can enter at the boot prompt to get Puppy past the problem, but I don't know what it might be. Someone will be along shortly who can help, I'm sure.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

trashy

#3 Post by trashy »

No, nothing is plugged in to any media reader slot.

I am also getting an "ERROR, cannot find PUPPY on idecd" - I even tried PMEDIA=idecd - no go.

:cry:

trashy

#4 Post by trashy »

OK, first time around was with a CD-RW - I suspected that might be an issue, so just burned the ISO to a CD-R - stopped at the exact same place, still getting the "cannot find puppy on idecd"

HELP!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

If the error message says it can't find Puppy, then the CD must be starting to boot. What program did you use to burn the CD, and what settings did you use?
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

trashy

#6 Post by trashy »

Flash wrote:If the error message says it can't find Puppy, then the CD must be starting to boot. What program did you use to burn the CD, and what settings did you use?
BurnCDCC - no settings

I finally got the hard disk install to work though, so at least I've seen the x-gui now!

jjdeluxe

Exact same problem here...

#7 Post by jjdeluxe »

fresh CD 2.10 (and second attempt with 2.11). bombs out with the exact behavior.

trying to boot on a fairly modern sony laptop (has builtin flash card reader slots for SD and Memory Stick).

sounds like the the flash card readers are in common here.

any help would be appreciated (e.g. that mysterious "cheat code")

thx. jay

purple_ghost

Can you tell us?

#8 Post by purple_ghost »

I feel unclear about how you burned CD. You may already know this question is not important. Still.

Did you verify the MD5 of your download?

When I burn a Puppy CD I follow this recipe.

I reboot my computer to make sure all of the resources that can be available for the burn --are available.

I do not do anything else with my computer but the burn, until the burn is finished.

When I start the BurnCDCC I set the speed to one. Notice BurnCDCC always starts up with the speed set to "Optimal" I must manually reset it down to one.

What speed did you use to burn the CD?

This question may not have anything to do with your problem. It is the routine question(s) that gets asked when Puppy will not boot.

Lastly, Would it be easy for you try the CD in another computer?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

Good idea, purple_ghost. Try to boot the CD in a different computer. Why didn't I think to suggest that. :)

As to manually setting the burn speed, someone reported in one of the forums (I think it may be in the Hardware forum) the results of fairly extensive tests he did to determine which burn speed gives the fewest errors. Not surprisingly, slowing things down from the max available burn speed gave fewer errors, up to a point. Surprisingly, burning at the slowest available speed gave far higher errors than did top speed. The least errors were found in the mid-range; about half whatever maximum burn speed was available for that combination of media and burner. Personally, it always seems to work for me to let the burning program choose the speed it wants to use.

purple_ghost

More Questions.

#10 Post by purple_ghost »

Flash. I had not heard that info about burn speeds and error rates. I bought a 4X DVD burner OVERPRICED. I had a long war in geting it to work at all. The war was largely due to my lack of knowledge with Linux. The other times was trying to use it with Win 98. I had a number of issues. Which should teach me a lesson about being cheap. If I bought the right hardware/software to begin with. Then everything would have been straightforward.

Anyway. When I got the BurnCDCC working the first time, with the speed set to the bottom. I stopped experimenting.

Why is the top of this post marked resolved?

The first topic line in the beginners forums is:
Sticky: Index of resources for Beginners Help forum

or

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=597

Of which one of the topics is:
Boot prompt "cheatcodes" for Puppy Linux

How much RAM do you have?

Please describe the hardware a bit. Processor, RAM amount. What exactly is the card reader in question?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

I don't know why this thread is marked [resolved]. I didn't do it. The only other person who could have done it is the person who started the thread.

Béèm

Re: More Questions.

#12 Post by Béèm »

purple_ghost wrote:Why is the top of this post marked resolved?
The OP, trashy, somewhere at 3/4 of this thread mentioned his problem is solved. So he changed the subject so everybody would know, that his issue is solved.
If you jump in a thread about your problem, which could be the same or similar as the OP's one and it isn't solved I think it's wiser to start a new thread as there is a chance people won't look at the thread anymore.
Puppy Linux 2.02 SMkey, KDE354mini, wine0.9.20, devx-qt-renamed.
Puppy Linux 2.10r1 SMkey, JWM, devx_qt_renamed_210, KDE355mini