Needed: Ways to create USB Puppy from Windows

Using applications, configuring, problems
B.K. Johnson

#1 Post by B.K. Johnson »

I have been struggling with a Bootkit malware for the past 3 weeks. The infection has affected my desktop hard drive, a headless laptop and 6 flash drives that mostly boot upupbb and tahr-6.0.6. This leaves me with a Windows XP Netbook (no optical drive) as likely my only virus-free device and only road to puppyland. clamwin virus scanner advises that the Netbook is virus free.

So, I need to create "clean-room" puppies and other bootable USB based malware tools on the Netbook and subsequently disinfect the other flash drives and desktop. I can't risk infecting the Netbook by going online with Win XP. But I can use the library facilities to get any software you direct me to.

TIA
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

Try Universal USB installer.

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal ... -as-1-2-3/

If the list of Puppy's isn't up to date, that's okay. Just choose "other linux" at the bottom of the menu. You'll see what I am talking about.

It uses Fat32, so you'll have to use a Save File instead of a Save Folder.

It's never failed for me.

LNSmith

#3 Post by LNSmith »

Later today, when I have access to my 'big' desk-top box (yes! a Pentium 4 with a whole (huge) 2GiB of RAM and my installation notes) I'll describe the process I used to install the first versions of 'da Pup'. With Windows. The catch? You need a CD burner.

It would help a great deal if you describe your system.
Plus what is available at your local library. (I understood you had access to the 'net' at your local library.) You need a CD burner (for my method). Once you run the system (with Windows) and make your first CD (I mean burn your first CD) you can make other Puppies for a thumb (flash) drive.

I will describe precisely how I installed uPupBB to a flash drive and (at the end) how that flash drive became schizo. Although a true flash drive - it thought it became a CD and thus 'read only'. Thus I have a boot-=able flash drive with an OS that is immune to a virus.

All the best from AU, where life is great.

Leslie

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

One of these installers should also work.

Rufus USB installer
https://rufus.akeo.ie/

UNetbootin to install to USB
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

Hey Dan,

I was OK with your advice. Sorry to see without an OP reply, it wasn't good enough to be ONE-Up't.

Still, BK, dancy's been around the block more times than the "Good Humor Man" to steer you wrong.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

LNSmith

#6 Post by LNSmith »

Here is a note about installing Puppy on a CD using Windows. The method is stock standard and is 18+ months old. It worked for me. Hope it works for you.

The point here is that if you make a boot-able CD - then you can make a bootable flash drive because the first Puppy can burn a new puppy - a flash puppy! (Magic!) More recently (maybe 2/3 months I made some flash drives that thought they were CDs. By this I mean the USB thumb drive was write protected and ISO-9660 format. The end result: These Puppies are reliable and hard to corrupt.

Question: Are you interesting in how I made an boot-able ISO thumb drive using Puppy? Comment: Nothing new here. I just used the tools available on a working Puppy desk-top.

Here is my Win recipe (below) ---------------------------------------------------------

My notes about installing Puppy Linux to a CD.
File name: "Make a bootable CD using Nero.txt"

Required.
(1) Windows XP
(2) Nero CD burner
(3) Puppy_X.iso eg TAHR-6.0.5_noPAE.iso or Precise_Puppy_5v7.iso
See D:\ ... \Downloads\Software\Puppy_Linux\ ... \TAHR_pup, The\ ....
(4) A working CD burner (of course).

Method.
Start Nero Burning. (click!)
(1) Select "Image, Project, Copy" (from LH panel)
(2) Select "Disk Image or Saved Project burned onto the Hard Drive."
(3) Open/locate the *.iso file (on the hard drive).
(4) Set the number of copies needed and "verify" after burning.
Then click the "Burn" button.

At the end of this process the CD will boot a copy of Puppy Linux.
The disk contains: initrd.gz, isolinux.bin, isolinux.cfg, logo.16,
lupu_528.sfs, vmlinuz.