Firefox 78+ Completely Freezes For Unkown Reasons

Using applications, configuring, problems
rockedge

Firefox 78+ Completely Freezes For Unkown Reasons

#1 Post by rockedge »

More than frustrated with firefox 78.0.1

It has completely frozen now 6 times in 30 minutes with only a killall firefox in a terminal shutting it down. "Kill" from the menu will make it disapear from the screen but does not actually shut down any processes associated with firefox.

I have mentioned this before, has anyone else experienced this?

I have several other browsers available on this particular system, none of which exhibit the same behavior

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Google search for firefox 78.0.1 freezes will bring up all kinds of info on how to stop it.

See if running firefox, from terminal, gives any errors.

I Use Pale Moon and depending on the web site. I get some freezing, for a few seconds, until the web site finishes loading.
Also, sometimes while scrolling the web site.
This is very bad on web sites, wanting to constantly provide running videos in adds and having constant changing pop ups.

Your internet speed could be a factor.
Your hardware, cpu, memory, etc......

Got a link for a web site that does this freezing?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ rockedge:-

I don't so much get pages freezing in Quantum. What I have had, especially with the last couple of 32-bit releases (in radky's DPup Stretch), is sound issues. Specifically, if I adjust the volume while watching a video, or NetFlix, it will suddenly freeze right right up, seemingly "jammed" on whatever the last sound may have been, and repeating this continuously and rapidly at the pace of a machine gun going off...

Sometimes shutting the browser down will fix it, sometimes I have to "kill" it. On occasion, even this doesn't work, and a restart of 'X' is required.....once, I even had to forcibly do a hard power-off to stop it!

I don't blame DPup Stretch for this, because the rest of it runs sweet as a nut.....but recent Quantum definitely has "issues". And they're not improving any!

As with you, no other browser displays the symptoms. Running FF from the terminal produces nothing that is easily decipherable. I know I moan about the amount of crap the Chromium 'clones' produce in the terminal, but at least I can understand most of that; Mozilla's terminal output is truly horrible in this respect..!

Mike. :?

d4rkn1ght

Mozilla halts Firefox 78 rollout

#4 Post by d4rkn1ght »

Could this be the problems? :?:

xenial.

#5 Post by xenial. »

i was experiencing something similar with pale moon browser although that occurred mainly after media heavy sites or facebook.Not sure bit it could be a sign of a failing hard drive.

Chromium never exhibits such behavour.
I have noticed with firefox that it takes ages for the homepage to be rendered fully.

I have to say chromium is far quicker and smoother in operation.

d4p

#6 Post by d4p »

Firefox is very slow also.
I tested it on all bigpups.
Maybe it happened to me only?
See attached!
Attachments
FF-slow-2020-03-17.zip
(172.05 KiB) Downloaded 105 times

d4rkn1ght

#7 Post by d4rkn1ght »

xenial. wrote:i was experiencing something similar with pale moon browser although that occurred mainly after media heavy sites or facebook.Not sure bit it could be a sign of a failing hard drive.

I have noticed with firefox that it takes ages for the homepage to be rendered fully.

Have you tried other Gecko browsers? Maybe try SeaMonkey and see if it behaves the same as Pale Moon or not. SeaMonkey-apulse-32bit or SeaMonkey-apulse-64bit for whatever Puppy version you have.

xenial.

#8 Post by xenial. »

d4rkn1ght wrote:
xenial. wrote:i was experiencing something similar with pale moon browser although that occurred mainly after media heavy sites or facebook.Not sure bit it could be a sign of a failing hard drive.

Have you tried other Gecko browsers? Maybe try SeaMonkey and see if it behaves the same as Pale Moon or not. SeaMonkey-apulse-32bit or SeaMonkey-apulse-64bit for whatever Puppy version you have.
Hi
Yes i do have seamonkey installed and it does not exhibit this weird freezing issue.It occurs mainly after exiting facebook for some bizarre reason..i lose control over pale moon completely.

Yes chromium works better and is fast etc but i don't like it for some reason,the cosmetics annoy me and is quite bland.

i use 32bit xenial puppy linux.

d4rkn1ght

#9 Post by d4rkn1ght »

xenial. wrote:
d4rkn1ght wrote:

Hi
Yes i do have seamonkey installed and it does not exhibit this weird freezing issue.It occurs mainly after exiting facebook for some bizarre reason..i lose control over pale moon completely.

Yes chromium works better and is fast etc but i don't like it for some reason,the cosmetics annoy me and is quite bland.

i use 32bit xenial puppy linux.
Maybe starting Pale Moon in safe mode does the trick.

Help > Restart in Safe Mode...

If this doesn't work, stick with Chromium and SeaMonkey till some Pale Moon guru find a solution. ;)

Semme

#10 Post by Semme »

Nothing wrong with Pale Moon on my box. It's been rock solid!

Hey Rocky, we have a link or two where your FF reaches tilt status?

Include your chosen default search engine, or...

Export your bkmrks, drop back a version, create a new profile and give the devs a day or so to sort things out.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

dancytron

Re: Firefox 78+ Completely Freezes For Unkown Reasons

#11 Post by dancytron »

rockedge wrote:More than frustrated with firefox 78.0.1

It has completely frozen now 6 times in 30 minutes with only a killall firefox in a terminal shutting it down. "Kill" from the menu will make it disapear from the screen but does not actually shut down any processes associated with firefox.

I have mentioned this before, has anyone else experienced this?

I have several other browsers available on this particular system, none of which exhibit the same behavior
When I get that, the memory runs away and it starts to use swap, then freezes. I've always assumed it was bad webpages with memory leaks or that don't like that I am blocking lots of stuff and deleting most cookies.

Semme

#12 Post by Semme »

Hey Rocky, you forgot to mention spell-check went out the window too. :D:wink:
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

rockedge

#13 Post by rockedge »

I changed about:config browser.tabs.loadInBackground to false and it might have improved the performance.

I'm going through and opening tabs and streaming video audio and jumping around and so far no freeze.

I'll keep testing......

Palemoon and Seamonkey do not exhibit the behavior so I only modified Firefox 78.0.1

Semme

#14 Post by Semme »

cthisbear

#15 Post by cthisbear »

I like Slimjet in Radky Stretch.

Where is Radky lately.?

Chris.