FreeTube64-portable

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

FreeTube64-portable

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, kiddiwinks.

Some of you might find this useful, and fun to play around with.

It's a general-purpose Electron app that will not only allow you to view YouTube "off-line", but will actually work for ANY "tube" website.....called

FreeTube

Max Headroom put me onto this earlier today, and I've been playing around with it, testing it out in several Pups, and finally packaging it as a self-contained 'portable'.

Same as every other web-based 'portable' I've put together; download, unzip, put it anywhere you like (preferably outside the save-file/folder.) Click to open, then fire it up with the launcher.

-------------------------------------

This is 'beta' qauality, so it might be best described as a wee bit 'glitchy'.

You can import a list of your subscribed channels from YouTube, as an OPLM file (?) No, I've never heard of one before, but FreeTube seems to know what to do with it. You can find a link for how to do this in 'Settings'.

By using the address bar at the top, you can surf to any streaming "tube" site, so long as you know the URL. Do be aware, videos often take a while to load, so.....just be patient. And occasionally they fail to parse, but I'm inclined to put that down to the fact that this is not completely mature yet.

You may sometimes get the trailer 'screen' for a particular video, but no controls. Again, be patient; it will load, sooner or later, but it does seem to struggle sometimes.

------------------------------------

Electron apps are based around a stripped-down Chromium; hence the size. So far tested under DPupBuster64, Bionicpup64, Xenialpup64, and jrb's Quirky April64-lite.

You can find the tarball for this at the Drive, here:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

.....along with an MD5 checksum, if ya need that kinda thing.

Enjoy. And credits to Max Headroom for finding it...

Mike. :wink:

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

Debian Dog Stretch

Very nice. I like it.

Was able to import my youtube subscriptions in minutes.

What are other electron applications?

Edit: spoke too soon. Getting errors on a lot of videos. Still like it though.

fredx181

#3 Post by fredx181 »

Yes I like it too on itself, pity that many video's won't play, thanks anyway Mike.

Fred

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Fred/Dan:-

TBH, I'm pretty certain this isn't at 'release candidate' stage, yet. I think it's quite early days, but then that's normal in the open-source world. We don't wait until an app is 100% functional before publishing ("1.0"); they often get pushed out-the-door at "0.1".... :D :oops:

It certainly has potential; it just needs some of those rough edges smoothing off!

I'd be curious to know how the author is parsing the video URLs....'cos I think that's where the major problem is.

We shall see. I'll keep an eye on this one, because I like the look of it.

Mike. :wink: