Bionicpup64 issues on Sony Vaio laptop

Using applications, configuring, problems
bkbk

Bionicpup64 issues on Sony Vaio laptop

#1 Post by bkbk »

I recently rescued a 10- or 11-year-old Sony Vaio laptop, model VGNCS390JCQ. The previous owner had replaced a noisy fan, but it still can make a racket at times. Otherwise, it runs bionicpup64 8.0-frugal very well. I hope someone can help with a few issues, though.

-About half the time after starting up, left clicking doesn't work either by using the left button or tapping the trackpad. The right button works, so I use that to restart and then everything is always good. Restarting the window manager or the graphical server isn't enough; it has to be a full reboot. If I ever close the laptop then pull the lid open, again left clicking is usually gone. Any ideas about this? (Occasionally, at startup, the Internet connection via Ethernet isn't working, but it's easy enough to disconnect and connect again.)

-I can scroll by running my finger along the right edge of the trackpad, but being left-handed, I'd prefer to do a two-finger scroll anywhere on the trackpad. How do I set that up? In the file /root/.flSynclient-tap-to-click I changed the value of VertTwoFingerScroll to 1, but it had no effect. Changing VertEdgeScroll to 0 has not effect either.

-I had once set up MasterPDFEditor on a tahrpup machine, but I'm having trouble doing it here. I installed MasterPDFEditor-5.4.38-x86_64.pet along with qt-4.8.7_bionic-18.05.sfs but MasterPDFEditor doesn't open. When I check the dependencies, it says, "File /opt/master-pdf-editor-5/masterpdfeditor5 has these missing library files: libQtSvg.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4" and that the files exist but aren't in the library search path. How do I get them in the path? I see symlinks for all these files in /usr/lib and the symlinks refer to the 4.8.7 versions of the files in the same place.

-I used quickpet to install Zoom, but the version is 3.something and when I tried to join a meeting, it said I need 5.something. How do you recommend that I update it?

Thanks for any answers you can provide. bk

memo

#2 Post by memo »

sony vaio has problems with any system that is not shipped with ( at least that is what I think )

you may find this post interesting

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=118890
Xanialpup 7.5 32 bit

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Bionicpup64 8.0 operating problems in general.

I assume the frugal install is on an internal drive, probably a hard drive.
That Bionicpup64 is the only operating system on the computer.
If yes.
Before you did the frugal install.
Did you use Gparted to do a complete fresh setup of the hard drive?
New msdos partition table.
Partition and format as you like.
I will assume you used a ext 3 or 4 format.

If no.
There is a good chance that the file system, on the drive, is what was used by Windows, and it is all messed up.
Fragmented and has errors.
Thus the frugal install of Bionicpup64 is not going to be very good.

If yes, you did do a fresh setup of the drive, using Gparted.
What specifically did you do?

For touchpad problems.
Have you set it up using menu->Setup->Mouse/Keyboard Wizard->Touchpad?

Have you updated Bionicpup64 8.0 using Quickpet->Info->Bionicpup updates?
Rebooted, making sure to save, so new updated stuff is now being used?

The sometimes working at boot stuff, is sometimes the result of just a bad download of the Bionicpup64 8.0 iso and or a bad frugal install.
Sometimes just doing a fresh download of the iso and fresh new install, will fix a lot of this type issues.
Especially, if the partition, format setup of the drive is not freshly done, before the frugal install.

The program issues.
Welcome to the world of Linux software.
Dependency issues are part of installing software.
They can usually be worked out.

But first, let us see if you can get a good running Bionicpup64 8.0.

I will assume when this laptop was opened to change the fan.
It was cleaned out, connections checked, anything that could be was reconnected, general condition checked, etc.....
You would be surprised, what can come unconnected or be loosely connected, in a 10 year old laptop.

Any of this help?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bkbk

#4 Post by bkbk »

Thanks for the feedback memo and bigpup.

The Vaio had been upgraded to Windows 7, so it had 2 partitions on the internal hard drive: Windows Vista recovery and Win7. I updated Win7 (for some reason a couple of files wouldn't update) then defragmented the drive. Then I used GParted to make 2 ext4 partitions, swap, and a vfat partition. I had downloaded bionicpup and ubuntu 18 and verified the checksums, and I made a multi-boot USB drive with both on it. I installed bionicpup and ubuntu onto the ext4 partitions. I used Quickpet to update bionicpup.

I haven't used Windows and rarely use ubuntu, but I thought it would be good to have them just in case (like if I can't get Zoom or MasterPDFEditor working in puppy). The startup issues aren't horrible but if reinstalling bionicpup will likely solve them, I'll do it.

Yes, I did look at the touchpad wizard. I didn't see anything there about turning on 2-finger scrolling. Did I miss it?

Any further comments welcome. Thanks.