Getting ExpressVPN to work with latest BionicPup64. (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
globetrotterdk

Getting ExpressVPN to work with latest BionicPup64. (Solved)

#1 Post by globetrotterdk »

Trying to figure out a way to get ExpressVPN to work with BionicPup64. I assume the prefered way is to use Gpptp VPN, however I am completely clueless as to how to configure Gpptp VPN so that it will work.
Last edited by globetrotterdk on Sat 06 Jun 2020, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Have you've signed up for a plan or is this a supposition?

https://www.expressvpn.com/support/vpn- ... /#download
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

The site says it has a download for a Linux installer.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

jafadmin

#4 Post by jafadmin »

Gpptp on Bionic64

On Bionic64 just uncomment line 51 ("require-mppe-128")in /etc/ppp/options.pptp

Then just start Gpptp, enter the server address, username, and password and click "Connect"

It should "just work". If it does, add the server name and user name to /etc/ppp/gpptp/vpn_servers and /etc/ppp/gpptp/vpn_userids, respectively. Then you can select them from the drop-down menus when needed.

globetrotterdk

#5 Post by globetrotterdk »

Semme wrote:Have you've signed up for a plan or is this a supposition?

https://www.expressvpn.com/support/vpn- ... /#download
I am already signed up for a plan. Whether I can use Gpptp is a supposition. Alternatively, ExpressVPN has .deb installers, I just don’t know if they would work with BionicPup64.

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

I'm sure you could use Gpptp. Check here beforehand.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

globetrotterdk

#7 Post by globetrotterdk »

Ok, so this is for reference purposes, for others reading this post. OpenVPN is available for install in BionicPup64. I installed that, and it was possible to get it going after I went through the info on ExpressVPN's homepage about manual setup. Besides downloading a config file for the specific country or server that you want, you need to put in a 26 alpha-numeric key code for the username, and another 26 key code for the password. Connection works without complaint by running the command

Code: Select all

openvpn -config <file name>
. It is easiest to cd to the directory with the config file downloaded from ExpressVPN and then run the command. It may be possible to download a .deb file from expressvpn with their own software, but I haven't tried that route, so I can't confirm that it will work.