Torrent Downloads Predicament [SOLVED]

Booting, installing, newbie
bigpup

#16 Post by bigpup »

bullpup wrote:And when I click other locations in the above screenshot I takes me back to this. Back to the Puppy FS.
Click on computer (1st image) and it should take you to this listing (2nd image).
Drives are under mnt when you double click on mnt.

The drive has to already be mounted to show under mnt.
Click on Puppy desktop specific drive icon to mount the drive.
Attachments
Screenshot(2).jpg
(19.54 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Screenshot(3).jpg
(28.54 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#17 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ bullpup:-

I'm a long-term fan of Tixati, which Semme mentioned. Never got on with Transmission.

I run Tixati as a 'portable', with the entire self-contained Tixati directory installed external to the save; the appropriate 32-bit or 64-bit binary sym-linked into /usr/bin, and a custom menu entry pointing to it (portable-Tixati comes with both, so it's easy to use one single portable-Tixati between multiple Puppies of either architecture). I then sym-link the appropriate binary to the desktop for use as a desktop "launcher", and tart it up with an icon....

You let it save to its 'internal' downloads directory by default. What I then do is to sym-link the downloads directory into /root, followed by re-naming the sym-link so I know it's Tixati's own, dedicated one. Like this:-

Tixati's settings may at first seem somewhat complex, but there's only two out of over a dozen sections you really need to concern yourself with; Transfers->Locations.....and mess about under 'User Interface' if so desired.

Get it here if interested:-

https://www.tixati.com/download/

Choose the 'portable-edition' down the bottom of the page, then select the archive format you prefer. This contains both Linux and Windows binaries within the one directory, with all other components being platform-neutral. So you can also share it between multiple platforms, too!

Personally, I deleted the Windows .exe files, since I didn't want them. The other files are all created at first boot. The whole thing sits on one of two drives that are auto-mounted at boot.

V.Imp:- Don't delete the text file marked 'tixati_portable_mode.txt'; this is what tells it to run self-contained.....

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 24 May 2020, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

bullpup

#18 Post by bullpup »

@ bigpup.

HOW DID I MISS THAT?!?!?! :lol: :lol: It was there ALL the time.

See, I was looking for a separate icon or something. I didn't expect this.

Anyhow, mounted the external drive and selection a folder to download to was easy peasy. All is working well. :D Thanks everyone who pitched in.
In the future when anyone else has this struggle I can help them out :)

@ Mike Walsh and Semme: I will definitely check out Titaxi to see what's what. Will report back after using for a while. :)

Puppy Power! :)

Semme

#19 Post by Semme »

HOW DID YOU MISS THAT?

Easy. We gave you :mrgreen::wink: "waaay" too much credit.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

bullpup

#20 Post by bullpup »

Semme wrote:HOW DID YOU MISS THAT?

Easy. We gave you :mrgreen::wink: "waaay" too much credit.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I appreciate your subtlety :mrgreen:

"Move on, nothing to see here." ;)

foxpup

#21 Post by foxpup »

I remember it well, coming from windows, I was confused with that mounting/unmounting stuff as well.
And still, when I try out another linux, I sometimes wonder:
"Do I have to mount, or is it mounted already? And where is it mounted then?"
I really use my best vocabulary when su and sudo come into the game as well. :-)

Thanks for an entertaining thread. :-)