Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Sep 2014, 16:03
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Any small fast PowerPoint viewers for Puppy? (SOLVED)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 5 [70 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Mon 16 Oct 2006, 21:44    Post subject:  

Wow. I'm glad I prompted the turning up of so much stuff. Still not what I need, but other people might find it handy.

I need it to be set up so you can just click a powerpoint file and see something. From what I understand, he plans to use it as a read-only machine that people with little linux knowledge will use to check email and stuff on, probably in a business environment. They need to be able to read powerpoints that may be attached to their mail, so any fancy conversions need to be transparent so they don't have to mess with funky websites.

I'm about to check how fast TonicPoint with both itself and java built into the iso. Maybe that will be by enough to be reasonable.

Er, Lobster, that's TonicPoint, the one I already found....

Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Mon 16 Oct 2006, 22:06    Post subject:  

Yep, it goes much faster when loaded into ram. So I guess this is solved. Very Happy

I'll leave a link in case other people want to use it:
TonicPoint

richard.a

PostPosted: Tue 17 Oct 2006, 02:08    Post subject:  

MU wrote:
Quote:
BTW the dotpup for the powerpoint application (Impress) appears to be bad. I wonder if the download is bad or if it's the wrong download on the link? Doesn't look anything like Impress, either.

Where? Which link do you mean? *puzzled*
Mark

I'll try and remember to locate it for you next time I'm running puppy

raffy wrote:
If you export your PPT file to flash format with flashspring (in Win$), then you don't have to do anything - just use your browser to view the exported file.

Does this not defeat the objective of providing an alternative operating system where everything works out of the box for the person who isn't interested in doing anything but turning on, using the computer, and then turning it off again?

This is (imho) what the main problem in most forums is, suggesting choices that are totally beyond the ab-initio user's capabilities, desires, or understanding.

Richard

richard.a

PostPosted: Tue 17 Oct 2006, 06:08    Post subject:  

MU wrote:
Quote:
BTW the dotpup for the powerpoint application (Impress) appears to be bad. I wonder if the download is bad or if it's the wrong download on the link? Doesn't look anything like Impress, either.

Where? Which link do you mean? *puzzled*
Mark

Mark, I've checked with both gliesl's XPuppyPro distribution CD and also with two different download Puppy 2.02 and 2.10 CD's I've burned, and it is the same version number Pupget sorry, not dotpup.

The PuppyPro distro has OOo on it (refer below)

Neither the Impress v1.1b9 slide creator nor the Imposter v0.2 slide player will open standard pps or ppt's that I can succesfully open in genuine MS powerpoint, genuine MS Powerpoint player, Star Office 7, OOo v1 and v2 in MS Windows and a range of Linuxes, and also in the OOo as available in puppy as part of the PuppyPro CD distributions.

The two apps, one of them locks up with an hourglass when trying to import the file - from off the desktop. The other one just ignores the input.

I noticed one of those two pupgets is dated 2001, and the other 2003; that shouldn't make the slightest bit of difference really, because the ppt's I have tried have mostly been created in MS Office97.

I'm really puzzled by this and am wondering if in actual fact they are mislabeled and are not for viewing PowerPoint slide presentations at all?

EdFromHouston

PostPosted: Fri 02 Feb 2007, 04:34    Post subject:  

I would like to try TonicPointViewer. I downloaded the .jar file but when I click on it, it says no run action is set for file type (application/x-jar).

I have the viewer http://tonicsystems.com/products/viewer/
installed with Puppy 2.13 Seamonkey and Java 1.5.0.8

How do I make the viewer work? I tried typing
'java -jar tonicpoint.jar' in the terminal and got this:

Unable to access jarfile tonicpoint.jar.

Where do I put the file?

Thanks
Ed
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Fri 02 Feb 2007, 12:07    Post subject:  

That's weird. I had it in /usr/local/bin and ran it with
Code:
java -jar /usr/local/bin/tonicpoint.jar

Are you sure you gave it time to load? I remember it taking a long time when I was testing it without Java and tonicpoint included in the ISO.

EdFromHouston

PostPosted: Fri 02 Feb 2007, 14:47    Post subject:  

I shut down the computer last night and this morning it started working. I'm using the live cd and I guess java wouldn't load last night because I had my swap file off and was doing a lot of things. It works fine now.

Thanks for the link. This viewer should be a dotpup. It sure better than installing some big program like Open Office or Wine and PPTViewer just to view PPT files.
john biles

PostPosted: Sat 03 Feb 2007, 07:28    Post subject:  

Hello Pizzasgood,
By accident I discovered that XnView 1.70 Viewer opens Powerpoint docs.
As you know it's available at www.dotpups.de for download.

My brother had an 100Mb Doc from his work and it opened it.

sintot

PostPosted: Sat 03 Feb 2007, 12:31    Post subject:  

XnView only open images inside the pps
T_Hobbit

PostPosted: Tue 25 Sep 2007, 14:29    Post subject:  

Anyone has a backup of TonicViewer?
Google buy the company and there's no download page anymore...

Thanks
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 25 Sep 2007, 22:55    Post subject:  

Try here:
http://downloads.tonicsystems.com/viewer/tonicpoint.jar
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Tue 25 Sep 2007, 23:20    Post subject:  

Petget, with a .desktop entry for the menus:
http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/software/puppy/PETget/tonicpoint.pet

T_Hobbit

PostPosted: Wed 26 Sep 2007, 05:03    Post subject:  

Thank you.

By the way the download link to .jar don't work.
richard.a

PostPosted: Wed 26 Sep 2007, 06:38    Post subject:  

Pizzasgood wrote:
I need it to be set up so you can just click a powerpoint file and see something. From what I understand, he plans to use it as a read-only machine that people with little linux knowledge will use to check email and stuff on, probably in a business environment. They need to be able to read powerpoints that may be attached to their mail, so any fancy conversions need to be transparent so they don't have to mess with funky websites.

Something often overlooked is the excellent free (as in beer) Powerpoint viewer Microsoft have available, and that and the Word and Excel ones (a suite of 3) work magnificently and very fast in WINE.

I've installed them in BSD, SuSE, Linspire, Sun Java Desktop System... wherever...

I know there are people who loathe and detest anything to do with WINE and the running of MS applications. But if the file is going to be opened by the end-user in a Microsoft application, it is only common sense that the creator should make sure it will, in fact open correctly. Often that basic point gets lost on those who demand only open-source.

I also use RealPlayer and Acrobat Viewer to check anything I create to work in them, for that same reason.

Richard in Oz, aka the Wizard Smile

linuxcbon

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2007, 13:41    Post subject:  

Can someone make a HOWTO Powerpoint ?
Progs available, how to install etc ?
Page 2 of 5 [70 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: