Problems posting on forum

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
musher0

#61 Post by musher0 »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ musher0:-
musher0 wrote:Did I get this right: your "practice forum" is on the murga server? So at some point
John Murga gave you some kind of permission to do this.
Err.....nope. (Where did you dredge that pearl of wisdom up from?) :?

The test forum is here:-

https://puppylinux.rockedge.org/

.....running on rockedge's own 'commercial grade' server, and using his own domain, too. John Murga had no input on this at all. (Bit hard to see how he could, when he's been incommunicado for so long, hmm?)

The whole thing's an experiment, set up by another individual out of the goodness of their heart.....at no cost to you.....primarily to prove that it can be done.....and, as rockedge says, to "practice' doing the forum upgrade before attempting the real thing.

Not hard to understand at all.

Mike. :wink:
From this:
rockedge wrote:
> That is why I thought use a practice forum then run the actual update on the
murga server where the new forum will then become the murga forum using
the same domain and url
. This way all the users will be doing the same thing but on
a newer platform. And making large scale file transfers unnecessary as far as the
attachments go
Underline and bold by me.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

wiak

#62 Post by wiak »

Well if John Murga has no intention of keeping his murga-linux.org/puppy server up and running, then the forum here simply won't exist one day, so a different forum may not end up just being a 'practice' forum.

I have no idea how or where rockedge is actually running his phpBB forum(s) in terms of hosting but forums have to be hosted somewhere... Puppy has its puppylinux.com and puppylinux.org domains - but where do they host their wiki (and general webpages) physically? Presumably whoever looks after that can't also install phpBB or would already have done it (?)

wiak

Mike Walsh

#63 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Will:-

AFAIK, as stated above, rockedge has his own server, and is using his own domain, too. I don't know of any rule that says you have to host a website with a "commercial" organisation; the very same technology/hardware that is used by such organisations is freely available on the market to private individuals.....the more so if you don't mind using slightly older hardware - cheaper, and easier to come by, too. And commercial-grade hardware is built to last, as well.....even on somewhat older processes.

As far as I'm aware, this is exactly what rockedge has done. Musher0 may have gotten hold of the wrong end of the stick, so to speak; as much as I like and appreciate rockedge's many & varied contributions - in my opinion, he's definitely one of the community's "good guys" - I confess I sometimes find his written prose a touch hard to follow? Maybe to do with his Germanic roots; construction of the German/Germanic-derived languages is totally different to most others, and I can totally understand it's possible to make slip-ups occasionally in a multilingual household.

Although English is the defacto, default language of the Forum, we're a very varied & widely-spread bunch.....and English is far from being everybody's native language.

(@rockedge:- This is in NO way a criticism, mate.....please don't take it that way.) :) :oops:

Just FYI, you understand.

musher0

#64 Post by musher0 »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ Will:-

AFAIK, as stated above, rockedge has his own server, and is using his own domain, too. I don't know of any rule that says you have to host a website with a "commercial" organisation; the very same technology/hardware that is used by such organisations is freely available on the market to private individuals.....the more so if you don't mind using slightly older hardware - cheaper, and easier to come by, too. And commercial-grade hardware is built to last, as well.....even on somewhat older processes.

As far as I'm aware, this is exactly what rockedge has done. Musher0 may have gotten hold of the wrong end of the stick, so to speak; as much as I like and appreciate rockedge's many & varied contributions - in my opinion, he's definitely one of the community's "good guys" - I confess I sometimes find his written prose a touch hard to follow? Maybe to do with his Germanic roots; construction of the German/Germanic-derived languages is totally different to most others, and I can totally understand it's possible to make slip-ups occasionally in a multilingual household.

Although English is the defacto, default language of the Forum, we're a very varied & widely-spread bunch.....and English is far from being everybody's native language.

(@rockedge:- This is in NO way a criticism, mate.....please don't take it that way.) :) :oops:

Just FYI, you understand.

Hi guys.

With a rested head:

If rockedge had written his sentence this way: (look at the new items in brackets.)
That is why I thought [I'd] use a practice forum[,] then run the actual update on
the murga server where the new forum will then become the murga forum using
the same domain and url. This way all the users will be doing the same thing but on
a newer platform. And making large scale file transfers unnecessary as far as the
attachments go.
I would have understood it the same way Mike_Walsh did.

No worries, rockedge, I do this too all the time: in the spur of the moment, I skip
a word here and forget a comma there.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

@Mike_Walsh:
I think it has more to do with good old familiar typos than being from this or that
linguistic background.

Still friends? :)

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

rockedge

#65 Post by rockedge »

My mother language is German and I spent most of my youth in the United States....I speak and write neither German or English very well or my grammar, or punctuate expertly.....I sort of meld the 2 languages into one. Plus the last typing lesson I had was in 7th grade in 1974-75.

But the reality is I am looking to achieve Global Domination and I think the path to total control of the planet begins with the Puppy Linux Forum.

Mike Walsh

#66 Post by Mike Walsh »

rockedge wrote:My mother language is German and I spent most of my youth in the United States....I speak and write neither German or English very well or my grammar, or punctuate expertly.....I sort of meld the 2 languages into one. Plus the last typing lesson I had was in 7th grade in 1974-75.

But the reality is I am looking to achieve Global Domination and I think the path to total control of the planet begins with the Puppy Linux Forum.
Well, that puts you one up on me, then.....'cos I've never had a typing lesson in my life. Ever.

Everything I do is self-taught.....and if there's a difficult way of doing summat, I'll usually find it! :lol:

(What's that old saying? "Don't worry.....be happy"?) We're not here to worry; we're here to have fun - well; I am, anyway. Can't speak for the rest of youse..... :)

musher0

#67 Post by musher0 »

rockedge wrote:My mother language is German and I spent most of my youth in the United States....I speak and write neither German or English very well or my grammar, or punctuate expertly.....I sort of meld the 2 languages into one. Plus the last typing lesson I had was in 7th grade in 1974-75.
That makes two of us. When I'm tired, the jumpers on my language cards get jumbled
and whatever I write or say, it comes out as Frenglish....
rockedge wrote:But the reality is I am looking to achieve Global Domination and I think the path to total control of the planet begins with the Puppy Linux Forum.
Ah. Finally the cat has come out of the bag! :lol:
Go, rockedge, go! Ra-ra-ra! :lol:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Mike Walsh

#68 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ musher0:-
musher0 wrote:Still friends?
Of course. What's a few typos between friends? It'll take a lot more than that to make me fall out with anyone.......