Backlight testing utility

Miscellaneous tools
greengeek

Backlight testing utility

#1 Post by greengeek »

From time to time I need to change the default backlight intensity on various laptops or screens and I needed a quick way to discover the screen names and numerical values xrandr can use to control backlight intensity.

This gtk utility offers a gui to select the display under test and then it will calculate the maximum brightness and step the brightness down in stages in order to demonstrate that the backlight is controllable and working correctly.

It will tell you which screen(s) xrandr sees as connected and will tell you the parameter value that the video card sees as the maximum intensity - so that you can use that value to create scripts to control the brightness of the backlight.

Tested on Slacko 5.6 and Xenial pup 7.5 on several laptops so far but please report successes and failures so i can improve it where necessary.

Please remove the false .gz suffix, change the permissions to make it executable, then click it to run.
Attachments
backlight_test_gui_v0.02.gz
Remove false .gz suffix, make executable then click to run.
(8.08 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Backlight_brightness_test_utility.jpg
(11.01 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
Last edited by greengeek on Mon 27 Apr 2020, 09:30, edited 2 times in total.

vovchik

#2 Post by vovchik »

Dear greengeek,

I think this might be very useful, but it seems you forgot to post the actual script... Looking forward to it.

With kind regards,
vovchik

greengeek

#3 Post by greengeek »

Sorry Vovchik - you caught me in the middle of uploading. All finished now. :)

greengeek

#4 Post by greengeek »

If you don't want to run the test but just want to know which screen xrandr sees as the currently connected display you can run this small script:

Remove false .gz suffix, make executable and click to run
Attachments
screen_lister.gz
Remove false .gz suffix, make executable and click to run
(227 Bytes) Downloaded 107 times