File transfer between drives going slowly in Rox

Booting, installing, newbie
liutauriux

File transfer between drives going slowly in Rox

#1 Post by liutauriux »

So, I'm running bionicpup 64 8.0 from my slow usb because I wanted to move my files between my ssd and hdd. And I just wanna say, I'm not experienced with any kind of linux. And I just have a few questions. First off, I'm using Roxfiler and is there any kind of progress bar or way that I could track the progress of moving files? Right now I'm just clicking on the file that's being moved and going to properties to check how big it is. And from what I'm seeing, the files are moving at a snail's pace like about 10-20mb per minute and I was just wondering if there is something I could do to speed it up or should I just deal with it.

jafadmin

#2 Post by jafadmin »

You for sure have something weird going on. I just copied a 1 gig file from spinner to spinner with a "sync" in 11 seconds.

So it depends on your hardware, I'm guessing. (e.g.: processor, ram, disks, etc ..)

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

For Bionicpup64 8.0 there are some updates to it, but they probably have nothing to do with your issue.
Qiuckpet icon on desktop access Quickpet.
Quickpet->Info->Bionicpup updates
Do a reboot of Bionicpup just to make sure the changes are saved and now being used.

Using Rox file manager.
Click on the desktop icon for each drive to mount it and open a Rox window showing what is on the drive.
Should have two Rox windows open.
Navigate in each window, to location on each drive, you want to be showing in the Rox window.
Now with two Rox windows open.
Use drag and drop.
Left click and drag from one Rox window to the other.
A menu will open giving choices of what to do. (copy, move)
If it is a large file or directory. A window will open showing progress.
(It may offer some choices as to how you want the copy or move to be done.
For a file it stays open until the process is done.
For directories it will show a list of files as they are processed and close when everything is done.

Rox does not have a progress bar.

About slowness.
I assume both drives are on the same computer?
What format is each drives partitions?
Is this sata connected drives?
What is the computer?
Make and model or specs, if you know them?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Hi liutauriux, welcome to the kennels.

Ditto what jafadmin wrote. Perhaps give us the specs of the ssd and hdd.

But as this is your first day here, let's make sure your using rox-filer correctly. To copy/move files from one location to another, you have two rox-windows opened: one to the folder where the file you want to copy/move is; the second to the folder where you want to copy/move it to.

Place your mouse-cursor on the file, left-press, hold then drag it into the other window. From the pop-up window, Select copy --even if you want to move it. Safer. But I think also faster. Later, you can delete the original.

Rox has a couple trick to moving more than one file at a time. But, let's make sure something fundamental isn't going wrong.

MochiMoppel

#5 Post by MochiMoppel »

bigpup wrote:Rox does not have a progress bar.
It does.
Attachments
rox_progress_bar.png
(26.23 KiB) Downloaded 308 times

enrique

#6 Post by enrique »

Some Useful notes base on my experience on two machines.

I have an old Desktop. This desktop motherboard was designed/build when USB2 show 1rst up. So the desktop have option on the bios to set speed of USB. In other words selecting High Speed or Fast Speed. I do not know witch is witch. But the point is one is the Standard(At that time) USB1 or New USB2. Weird no!! Now I know for a fact that some machines where build with a MIX of USB1 and A few other USB2. So there you have it may be you need to test all ports to find witch are the fastest.

Again just as a comment, the motherboard came with Special Win Vista drives to enable USB2. Not that maters on Linux but give you a reference of the situation.

Then my Laptop, Again build between changes. This time we have a Mixture of USB2 and USB3. At least is easy to know USB3 as you can see the Blue Plastic.

Witch brings me to another Important Issue. USB3 to Speed up have Buffers. Lets say you hook an old USB Slow USB Memory to a USB3. And you ask your PC to Copy a 2GB Video. YOU CAN NOT TRUST those progress bar!!!!

Yes the progress bar will tell you it had finish. Yes it is all in the Buffer. But in reality your Slow USB is just starting..... If you hold the Copy process only a small part was written or you had lose all as it did not have time o create the file. You been warned. In my case my Old Slow Memories have nice Light, that show it is in use. So when I do hook them to my USB3 I have to watch and wait after 10 or 20 Seconds after it light went off and had finished, just to make sure it did in reality.

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

MochiMoppel wrote:
bigpup wrote:Rox does not have a progress bar.
It does.
What version of Rox are you using?
The version of Rox, in Bionicpup64 8.0, is not giving me a progress bar.
YaPI(any iso installer)

MochiMoppel

#8 Post by MochiMoppel »

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

I am using Rox v2.11
No progress bar when I copy or move stuff.

Do you know of any Rox options setting controlling this?
YaPI(any iso installer)

Burn_IT

#10 Post by Burn_IT »

Turn on write buffering and disable quick removal for the device.
Also, if it is purely an internal transfer of previously checked data you can temporarily disable virus checking of the data being transferred.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

MochiMoppel

#11 Post by MochiMoppel »

bigpup wrote:I am using Rox v2.11
No progress bar when I copy or move stuff.
Really? How does your dialog look like? Changelog for v2.11 does not mention anything about removing the bar.
Note that the progress bar is displayed only when copying/moving multiple files (as in my screenshot)
Do you know of any Rox options setting controlling this?
No.

SFR

#12 Post by SFR »

bigpup wrote:No progress bar when I copy or move stuff.
The only progress bar in the original ROX I know of is the one that indicates the amount (not size) of files being copied, so you can roughly tell how many of them have been copied and how many's left.
And, as Mochi already mentioned, it only shows up when you actually select multiple items, won't work in case of copying a single folder with multiple files inside.

A progress bar that actually shows the progress for a single file is in jun7's fork (see screenshot).
Well, maybe it doesn't show the progress for the combined size of all the files...but it's still a progress. ;)

Perhaps woodenshoe-wi's fork also has it, since it has some features pulled from jun7's fork. Or maybe it was the other way around, not sure...

Greetings!
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(36.08 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

bigpup

#13 Post by bigpup »

OK.
That was the needed info.
MochiMoppel, I assumed I understood you were moving a directory, not just a bunch of files, you had selected at one time.

I do get a progress bar in Rox, if I select a bunch of files to move/copy, all at the same time.
Not when doing a single file or a directory.
For a directory. It does show a changing list, as stuff inside the directory is processed.

Thanks for info about the fork versions.
I will check them out.
I knew there was some tweaking of Rox going on, but never really looked at any of them.
YaPI(any iso installer)

MochiMoppel

#14 Post by MochiMoppel »

SFR wrote:A progress bar that actually shows the progress for a single file is in jun7's fork (see screenshot).
Nice!
What puzzles me are the new options. What's the difference between "Newer" and "Ignore Older"? Isn't this the same thing?

To monitor the copy progress of a single file I usually open the target directory and check the amount of already copied bytes by pushing the Scan button periodically. Knowing the size of the source file I then use the progress bar built into my brain :wink:

SFR

#15 Post by SFR »

MochiMoppel wrote:What puzzles me are the new options. What's the difference between "Newer" and "Ignore Older"? Isn't this the same thing?
I hardly ever used any of them, but the tooltips say:
- Newer = "Always over-write if source is newer than destination."
- Ignore Older = "Silently ignore if source is older than destination."
To monitor the copy progress of a single file I usually open the target directory and check the amount of already copied bytes by pushing the Scan button periodically. Knowing the size of the source file I then use the progress bar built into my brain ;)
Yeah, I used to do the same thing.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

bigpup

#16 Post by bigpup »

I think the original poster of this topic, has left the building :shock: :roll:
No other posts, at all :roll:
YaPI(any iso installer)