Openshot working on Bionic64 or 32 anyone?

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
Mike Walsh

#41 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ MrDuckGuy:-

You'll never see 'frei0r-plugins' listed as a 'missing' dependency at install time, because it's not 'mission-critical'; in other words, it's not needed for Openshot to actually run. Openshot has a small number of video 'effects' built-in, but adding the 'frei0r-plugins' package greatly increases the number you have to use. It's been coded to make use of 'frei0r-plugins' if it's available.....and that's why you get the warning message if it's not installed; it's mainly for information, really.

It's basically a plug-in that's designed to be activated by a 'processor' like ffmpeg or gstreamer, as & when it's called for.

You should find Openshot is fairly simple to work with, and it doesn't take that much getting used to, really. I run most of the others, too; Flowblade; Shotcut; Cinelerra; KDEnlive, etc. They all have varying degrees of difficulty in their learning curves, but Openshot really has been designed to be as easy-to-use as it's possible to make it.

Mike. :wink:

MrDuckGuy

#42 Post by MrDuckGuy »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ MrDuckGuy:- ... I run most of the others, too; Flowblade; Shotcut; Cinelerra; KDEnlive, ... all have varying degrees of difficulty ... Mike. :wink:
So, if I'm running Xenialpup64v7.5 would you advise one over the other?
I'm having to boot a separate version of Xenialpup64 in order to run Openshot
(that's why I'm wondering about this).

Thanks for the feedback. בס״ד

Mike Walsh

#43 Post by Mike Walsh »

TBH, it's very much of a muchness.

For most people, Openshot will do everything they need it to. You can find the current 'User's Guide' HERE. It's written for the newest versions of Openshot, but much of it is still applicable, since Openshot hasn't been radically altered over the years, more 'refined'.

There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to install Openshot in your 'main' Xenialpup64. Alternatively, you could make the one you're running into your primary Puppy by simply adding the apps & stuff you want into it until it's good enough to take over AS your main one. I've done that before myself.

If you have plenty of RAM and a decent CPU, and aren't too bothered about keeping Puppy 'lean'n'mean', I'll also recommend the 'LosslessCut' video editor. This is a lot better than Avidemux, for instance, in terms of what it's capable of doing - the whole thing is based around ffmpeg - but unlike Avidemux, it's a LOT bigger. The latter is only around 18-20 some-odd MB, whereas LosslessCut is more like 120. Reason being it's an 'Electron' app, based around a stripped-down version of the Chromium browser.....yet it's a brilliant bit of kit for all that, and makes cutting and trimming a doddle.

Openshot will handle these functions, but it's fiddly to use IMHO.

-----------------------------------------

If you're interested in LosslessCut, you can find it here:-

https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut/re ... r=v3.17.13

3.17.9 is the current stable release. You can either choose the tarball, or the AppImage. The AppImage is a little bigger, but all you do is to make it executable, then click on it to run. Simple as that.

[Click to enlarge:-]

Full usage instructions are on the main 'project page':-

https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Wed 08 Apr 2020, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.

wiak

#44 Post by wiak »

Mike Walsh wrote:but unlike Avidemux, it's a LOT bigger. The latter is only around 18-20 some-odd MB, whereas LosslessCut is more like 120. Reason being it's an 'Electron' app, based around a stripped-down version of the Chromium browser.....yet it's a brilliant bit of kit for all that, and makes cutting and trimming a doddle.

Openshot will handle these functions, but it's fiddly to use IMHO
Generally speaking, I think it is fair to say that, even on relatively old machines (2 to 4GB RAM) being able to use the best/most-convenient tool is more important than the size it takes up on disk. Of course RAM can be an issue when video editing (but that applies to any application used for the editing since that RAM usage is more to do with the work being done than the size of any video editing software). I like simple ways to install new distros (so small size of iso or simple fast build scripts helps do that) but we all generally add lots of new applications, which use lots of disk space, but who cares - there is generally plenty disk space available...

wiak

mikeslr

Problems with Openshot component of O.F.I.N.S.I.S.'s SFS

#45 Post by mikeslr »

I think I was using the last build O.F.I.N.S.I.S. posted to this thread.

Following a post about a problem here, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 89#1058389, I ran some tests.

I keep a folder of vids with different codecs and packagings for testing new Media Editor builds. Included among the test vids were downloaded from the web, including flvs; some where transferred from an old Cam-Recorder; some from a 'Smart-phone'; and some were copies of the foregoing converted to other formats using ffmpeg.

The KDEnlive application in O.F.I.N.S.I.S.'s SFS for Bionicpup64 was able to play all of them. The Openshot application in that SFS was not. Loading the vids did not cause a crash. But several did not run at all and the timing of a wmv (and I think one other test vid) was very much off.

An SFS I built of Openshot 1.4.3 using Mike Walsh's instructions from here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 73#1005173 was also able to run all the test vids without difficulty. You can obtain a copy here, https://www.mediafire.com/folder/yct9r87kog5ll/openshot

Consequently, I think the Openshot component of O.F.I.N.S.I.S.'s SFS has a codec problem.

Supplemental: Unloaded O.F.I.N.S.I.S.'s SFS and loaded a KDEnlive SFS converted from the KDEnlive + VLC via Bionicpup64's Quickpet. Again KDEnlive was able to run all test vids. The Openshot 1.4.3 SFS no longer could.

Unloading KDEnlive and restarting-X, Openshot 1.4.3 was again able to run the vids.

There was a long-standing belief that there was a conflict between how python was used Openshot & KDEnlive.