Quirky7-light 32&64 bit - April 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jrb

#121 Post by jrb »

Mike Walsh wrote:Right, kiddiwinks. Now; it appears that Tahr64 606's pMount script will run OK in Quirky64 (and the 32-bit versions will probably swap over just the same, all things being equal), though I won't be testing the latter. Should please some of you.

A .pet would simply overwrite and 'lose' the original, so I'm attaching it to this post. Just remove the fake .gz from it, go to /usr/sbin, and swap 'em over. Keep your original somewhere safe; you may, perhaps, need to 'revert'. It's early days yet, and I need several more re-boots to satisfy myself it's behaving as it should...

Let's have some feedback, guys. If it behaves itself, jrb can stick it in the next 'update' (if any others are forthcoming!)

Mike. :wink:
Had some initial difficulty as this version creates /tmp/gtkdialog_pmount pointing at /usr/sbin/gtkdialog and Q7 has /usr/bin/gtkdialog which causes it to exit. Doesn't happen if you've already looked at the original pmount as it creates the proper symlink. Changed line 745 from:

Code: Select all

ln -s /usr/sbin/gtkdialog
to
ln -s /usr/bin/gtkdialog
and all is good.

I see that clicking on the drive in the left hand column gives the option of "mount partition at boot", and adds these lines to /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

mkdir -p /mnt/sda3; mount -t ext3 /dev/sda3 /mnt/sda3 #pmount
Very nice, another trick for an old dog. :D

Mike Walsh

#122 Post by Mike Walsh »

My personal DogRadio install; I simply used the mPlayer from the Quirky PPM, and borrowed the conky package from the Tahr64 repo @ Ibiblio.

Main reason I want to stick with DogRadio is because I already have the config files all set-up for a bunch of stations from my RadioTunes .pls stream. DeaDBeeF refuses to play ball in Quirky; segfault after segfault. I gave up on it.....and Fred's DogRadio is the next-best option, as far as I'm concerned.

Most of my 64-bit AppImages don't like Quirky, but then they don't like running in Tahr64 either. I suspect the majority expect a newer glibc and/or deps.

However, those that will run include:-

GIMP 2.10.19
LibreOffice 6.3.4.2
VLC 2.2.8 'Weatherwax' - this is actually a ROX-App, which I don't have a clue about where I found it. Works well, though.
XnViewMP - I like this thing. Found it through LQ.org a while ago; it's the only 'multimedia' viewer I know of that will display images, GIFs and video files all in the same application. Which is kinda neat, huh?
LosslessCut Video viewer/trimmer - I've waxed poetic about how good this thing is time & again in various posts/threads. Now I just need a video editor, though I suspect this might be an uphill struggle in Quirky...

Any body know where I can find a 64-bit Qt4 package? There's no end floating around for 32-bit, and several Qt5 packages starting to make an appearance for 64-bit....but I want Qt4 for 64-bit....

watchdog

#123 Post by watchdog »

Mike Walsh wrote: Any body know where I can find a 64-bit Qt4 package?
I have only:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... x86_64.sfs

But it is for slacko64: you can try to rename /usr/lib64 as /usr/lib inside it. I do not know it works here.

jrb

#124 Post by jrb »

Mike Walsh wrote:Any body know where I can find a 64-bit Qt4 package?
Here's the Qt4 package from Tahr64-605.

Mike Walsh

#125 Post by Mike Walsh »

Cheers, both of you. I'll have a look at 'em tomorrow. (I'm as sure as eggs are eggs, half the time I just don't look in the right places, you know..... :roll:)

The Sandman's a-calling early tonight..! :lol:

Mike Walsh

#126 Post by Mike Walsh »

One last point before I turn in. I've got the same issue as TiredPup had; the Menu only shows 'Help' and 'Exit'.

I used to get this same problem in Racy 5.5, but running 'fixmenus' and re-starting 'X' always fixed it for me. Here, though? Doesn't matter how many times I run those 2 commands, the Menu stubbornly refuses to re-appear.....

This only started after installing radky's JWMDesk Manager, and using it to change the JWM theme. Don't tell me I'm going to have to start from scratch with a new save-folder, fer Chrissakes......

Any thoughts?

jrb

#127 Post by jrb »

Mike Walsh wrote:One last point before I turn in. I've got the same issue as TiredPup had; the Menu only shows 'Help' and 'Exit'.

I used to get this same problem in Racy 5.5, but running 'fixmenus' and re-starting 'X' always fixed it for me. Here, though? Doesn't matter how many times I run those 2 commands, the Menu stubbornly refuses to re-appear.....

This only started after installing radky's JWMDesk Manager, and using it to change the JWM theme. Don't tell me I'm going to have to start from scratch with a new save-folder, fer Chrissakes......

Any thoughts?

I just tried to duplicate this, with no success but I would try uninstalling JWMDesk Manager using PPM and then use:

jwmconfig
to choose a new jwm theme and then Ctrl+Alt+Backspace -> xwin. If that didn't work initially I would repeat trying all the different themes. Q7 original used the old JWM theme structure. I upgraded to JWM-2.3.7 which requires the newer themes but I'm sure all the included themes are the new format.

If that doesn't work boot into a different Puppy, go into your save folder and remove /root/.jwmrc and /root/.jwm. That will take you back to the original JWM configuration.

Good Luck, J

Oh yeah, when you get it working backup your save-folder.

Mike Walsh

#128 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, jrb.

Well; option 1 didn't do the trick, so I eventually went with option 2.....but at least I do have my Menu back.

I know now why I like JWMDesk so much. I've been using it for long enough now that I'd forgotten how fiddly some of the operations were with the older set-up.....especially adding launchers; specifying path-to-executable, path-to-icon, etc. JWMDesk still uses all that, but does it behind the scenes, making the 'user experience' a bit more friendly..!

PupClockSet, from radky, works fine; doesn't appear to interfere with anything at all. I like to use the wonderful "Michroma" font as first seen in Carolina. I don't know who dug it up, whether it was Jemima, Geoff, battleshooter.....don't care. All I know is I think it's very neat:-

Opera-portable also works OK in Quirky64, along with NetFlix if you have the Opera-extras.sfs loaded - see HERE for explanation.

However; I find that neither of my two portables will upload or download anything without crashing. Seems to be just the Blink-based browsers (Opera & Vivaldi), because Palemoon-portable functions fine in this respect. Even adding the wee 'glib-schemas' .pet I put together (and which usually fixes this issue) has had any effect. Bummer.

And curiously, I can't access localhost in the browser.....so can't set my printer up! Which is really annoying me.....although the scanner component of the old Epson SX218 is functioning at least. It won't in my other Pups; oh, it installs and runs, but won't actually scan.....using save-folders on a 400 GB partition with over 350 GB free, it insists there's "no space available". Figure that one out if you can!

I know Barry did a lot of experimenting with Quirky. Perhaps some of these experiments just aren't quite compatible with some of my stuff, which has mostly been built on 'main-stream' Puppies..??

No ideas.

gychang

#129 Post by gychang »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ gychang:-

Here's how I've auto-mounted 3 partitions in Quirky, Greg. This was originally from my Precise 571 install, in /etc/init.d. It's adapted slightly from rcrsn51's auto-mount script for Samba-TNG:-

#!/bin/sh
#
#Auto mount partitions at boot
#
mount -U 347838fd-acc4-4053-9c78-23496076fe4e /mnt/sda3
mount -U 190eb203-07ac-490e-aa0f-d10419ca91bc /mnt/sdb1
mount -U 6d394fd7-aad2-4e20-90a9-c3ddcf07cc3e /mnt/sdb2
Using the UUID code (you find these by running blkid in the terminal.)

I'm going to investigate whether Tahr64's pMount GUI will work here; there's a possibility it may, since many of these scripts are self-contained.

thanks jrb and Mike: works well to automount, both work.
---
trying to learn puppylinux... :D
---

jrb

#130 Post by jrb »

Mike Walsh wrote:I know now why I like JWMDesk so much. I've been using it for long enough now that I'd forgotten how fiddly some of the operations were with the older set-up.....especially adding launchers; specifying path-to-executable, path-to-icon, etc. JWMDesk still uses all that, but does it behind the scenes, making the 'user experience' a bit more friendly..!
I suggest you boot pfix=ram and try it again. It works for me both pfix=ram and with savefile. It may be conflicting with something else you've installed.

jrb

#131 Post by jrb »

Mike Walsh wrote:However; I find that neither of my two portables will upload or download anything without crashing. Seems to be just the Blink-based browsers (Opera & Vivaldi), because Palemoon-portable functions fine in this respect. Even adding the wee 'glib-schemas' .pet I put together (and which usually fixes this issue) has had any effect. Bummer.
Here again try it with pfix=ram. I'm attaching a picture of a successful download using your Opera64.
Attachments
Opera64_download1.jpg
(109.37 KiB) Downloaded 226 times

jrb

#132 Post by jrb »

Mike Walsh wrote:And curiously, I can't access localhost in the browser.....so can't set my printer up! Which is really annoying me
Did you restart /etc/init.d/cups? This happens at boot automatically but not when installing cups (should have been in pinstall.sh but its not.) Here is cups-1.7.5-april64.pet only installed and then:

/etc/init.d/cups restart

You have reminded me that setting up a complete Cups-1.7.5 package is on my 2do list. Will try to get it posted today.

Cheers, J
Attachments
cups_restart1.jpg
(43.47 KiB) Downloaded 221 times

Mike Walsh

#133 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ jrb:-

Huh. Wouldn't you just know it? It's that good old, long-standing 'bug' of the PPM.....where it tells you something's installed, but it turns out it actually isn't... :roll:

So, having in fact installed the cups-1.7.5-april64 package this time, everything's now behaving itself....

I suspected summat was up, after looking in /etc/init.d; no 'cups' file in sight. Also had a quick look through /var, which under normal circumstances is usually liberally sprinkled with various cups files & directories.....again, the 'cupboard was bare'. Then, I was 99% certain what was going on.....and 'installing' cups over the top of what was supposed to be there will normally throw up a warning error, but, of course......it didn't.

So; now I can see if I can persuade my printer to work.

-----------------------------------

JWMDesk, I'll try again with an older version.....I've a handful of 'em, and the older ones worked fine with most of the 5-series Pups. As for Opera/Vivaldi, I'll try 'em with a 'clean boot'. They certainly should download OK.

I've been installing dependencies like crazy this afternoon; pkgs.org has had a really good workout today! I now have a video editor working here in Quirky64-lite.....not my preferred Openshot - I'm not even going to attempt to install Python and all the rest of it in Quirky, there's too many things 'odd' about this OS - but what I do have is the bang-up-to-date Cinelerra GG 'Infinity'. It's a far cry from the older Cinelerra packages knocking around the forum; everything works properly now!

It was also the easiest to install; most of the others (Shotcut, Flowblade, Openshot) all need no end of stuff normally supplied by the PPM.....but Quirky's repos are a bit 'understocked', putting it kindly. Cinelerra is pretty much self-contained, although it does need a fair few system dependencies that are missing compared to the 'buntu-based Puppies. Hence my giving pkgs.org a good workout earlier on....

I'll see if I can knock together an SFS of this for Quirky 64 over the next day or two. Stay tuned.

(Curiously, something I installed has caused TBird's 'FireTray' extension to start working, and displaying in the tray. I'm pleased about that, because it's getting so I'm lost without FireTray's functionality. I'm that used to it.)

watchdog

#134 Post by watchdog »

/usr/local/pfind/func and /usr/local/pfilesearch/func are missing in latest isos. Pfind is broken.

Mike Walsh

#135 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, all.

Okay; as promised, here's an SFS package of Cinelerra GG 'Infinity' 5.1 assembled just for Quirky 64. Any one who's interested, you can find it here at my Google Drive:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O_uLdl ... sp=sharing

The Cinelerra community have really got their act together with this, and I know there's a few professionals at the BBC who prefer this thing over anything else - not quite sure what that says about it, but, there you go! Have fun with it. For anyone who needs some pointers as to how it all works, there's a very comprehensive online instruction manual (all 632 pages of it!), which can be found here:-

https://cinelerra-gg.org/download/Cinel ... Manual.pdf

You can read it as an online PDF, or download it for posterity, and more 'in-depth' reading.

jrb

#136 Post by jrb »

watchdog wrote:/usr/local/pfind/func and /usr/local/pfilesearch/func are missing in latest isos. Pfind is broken.
Another good catch watchdog!

It looks like my program removal script needs a rebuild, it took out every "func" in the OS. I've gone back to Q7D and rebuilt new Q7F's. I hope I get it right soon, there's only 20 letters left in the alphabet.

Thanks once again, J

jrb

Emergency Update #5

#137 Post by jrb »

Emergency Update, due to a script error on my part the "E" ISO's have several broken programs. Hopefully there aren't any in these "F" ISO's

I've just uploaded the 5th updates (6th ISO's) containing all the fixes to date:

april-7.0.1F-uefi.iso md5sum 6cae0db87dfcbb107a4ab4c033fe9454
april64-7.0.1F-uefi.iso md5sum b25d72366d31bbc63ab812828053552f

Here are deltas (much smaller downloads) if you just want to upgrade the 5th ISO. If you only have the 1st ISO upgrade it to the 6th ISO with the .deltas in the 3rd post on page 1:
Place the original ISO and the .delta in the same directory and click on the .delta
april-7.0.1E-uefi.iso___april-7.0.1F-uefi.iso.delta md5sum 3885a5aff70309c265e4acc02ac09f49
april64-7.0.1E-uefi.iso___april64-7.0.1F-uefi.iso.delta md5sum 0011445daad1a42b65b67d790b3eba3b

jrb

Cups packages

#138 Post by jrb »

I've just uploaded:
cups_all_32-1.7.5.pet md5sum 1df7cc5184edb1c37b736f5fd662d4c4
and
cups_all_64-1.7.5.pet md5sum 4e28dae6e2613348ec7939d00e348b8b

These contain (I hope) everything needed to print in the Q7's. They do not contain gutenprint since it is not necessary to print and only contains PPD's (Printer specs for Cups). These PPD's and more are available from openprinting.org but you may install gutenprint from the Puppy Package Manager (install on the desktop).

Both these packages are almost completely untested as my printer is ridiculously easy to install and print with. As usual feedback will be greatly appreciated 8) .

Cheers, J

watchdog

#139 Post by watchdog »

Successfully tested in live sessions both cups packages in april32 and april64 with my Brother HL2130 laser printer installed by the ppd downloaded from openprinting site.

Mike Walsh

#140 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ jrb/all:-

Now then; a few packages/items that work in Quirky64-light....

----------------------------

Guvcview - I've adapted Revolverve's Guvcview 2.0.3 .pet that he built for Tahr64. A few additional items were needed, which I've either 'borrowed' from the Tahr64-606 .iso, or tracked down via pkgs.org. Tested via pfix=ram.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1suWGQc ... sp=sharing

-----------------------------

gKrellM - This is my compile of the newest 2.3.11, originally done in Xenial64 last year. Works OOTB in Quirky, tested via pfix=ram.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MMCNtX ... sp=sharing

-----------------------------

Screen-capture & -recorder apps

XVidCap-1.1.7 - Been around since time out of mind, delightfully 'quirky', and still works as well as it ever did. This is my re-pack of the build step originally put together for FatDog64. Tested via pfix=ram.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b29FWy ... sp=sharing

WeX - Will McEwan's excellent ffmpeg-based, minimalist (yet fully-functional) screen-recorder app. This is the 'portable' version Fred put together, including a relatively new ffmpeg build from John van Sickle. Tested via pfix=ram.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aJUyIO ... sp=sharing

.....and Micko's beautifully simple Screeny for screen captures. A 'no-arch' .pet, in theory it'll work anywhere, though in practice I've enjoyed 'mixed' results over the years. Works well in Quirky, though.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76204

-------------------------------

And the biggest surprise of all? Skype. Tested in a pristine Quirky, it works OOTB.... :shock:

https://repo.skype.com/deb/pool/main/s/skypeforlinux/

Enjoy, mes amigos.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 03 May 2020, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.