Palemoon is broken or lacks compatibility with xenialpup 7.5

Please post any bugs you have found
wert

Palemoon is broken or lacks compatibility with xenialpup 7.5

#1 Post by wert »

palemoon browser is not reliable on xenialpup. It often crashes and cannot be used for anything serious. It seems the engine is not working well with the kernel in xenialpup. I've tried updating to newer versions than the default version 27 but it gets worse.
The deault palemoon browser crashes often when using and won't last 20 minutes opening differing webites. Then I'll have to restart x server using shortcut keys. I think the problem is that it's the engine conflicting with the modern kernel on xenialpup75.
The browser is certain to crash usually when loading sites that have more pictures. So perhaps it is that specific area of the engine which is the bug.

I've tried chromium broowser and it works fine on the same system with no crashes whatsoever and stable for hours of browsing.

This is a serious issue since it's the default web browser in puppy xenial, thus marring the operating system. If I hadn't used another browser on the same system, I'd have concluded that it's the OS that was poor when in fact it's contrary to that. It's the best OS i've ever used on my desktop with unmatched performance from any linux based OS i've used before. The developers of xenialpup please implement another browser that matches the platform.

Makoto

#2 Post by Makoto »

Aside from the more recent versions seemingly chewing up more resources than before, and YouTube's new interface giving my setup grief, I can't say I've ever had a problem with PaleMoon crashing under XenialPup (32) 7.5. Have you changed the kernel?

Tried experimenting with a blank PaleMoon profile, to see if the problem persists? Or at least disabled your plugins/extensions (Help > Restart in Safe Mode...) - one of those could possibly be causing instability.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

666philb

#3 Post by 666philb »

it could be a stick of memory going bad.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

tallboy

#4 Post by tallboy »

Wert, have you tried to delete or rename your old /root/.moonchild productions folder before updating? (copy bookmarks and other saved stuff)
The same goes for /root/.cache/moonchild productions.
Download a new Palemoon instead of upgrading. If you have several old updates crammed into the same prefs folders, it is likely that problems may occur. Go to this address, and read the release notes for version v28.0.0 (2018-08-16) https://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes-archived.shtml
You will notice that the PM 28 series was built differently from the 27 series, your old prefs for another build platform, may be the cause of your troubles. If you browse the PM forum around that release date, I think you will find recommendations for replacing the old prefs folders.
I think the problem is that it's the engine conflicting with the modern kernel on xenialpup75.
I believe the PM is made to work with all kernels, and definitely all those newer than the old one in Xenialpup.

As for your other thread asking for alternatives to Palemoon: google Linux Browsers
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)