Thanks China

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
corvus

Thanks China

#1 Post by corvus »

I'm sorry to use this forum to vent, but right now it's the only contact I have with the outside world.

I can only speak for myself but I don't think that most of the Italian people think differently, I would like to thank the Chinese people for the concrete help they are giving us, despite the critical situation they are living. As they say "In times of need, you discover who your friends are".

I wish everyone good luck.

P.S. If Flash considers this post inappropriate, you are free to delete it.
[b]We are waves of the same sea, leaves of the same tree, flowers of the same garden.[/b]

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

What are they doing?
The news is really starting to suck in the US! :roll:
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

corvus

#3 Post by corvus »

They have sent a task force of doctors, nurses and experts who have also managed this situation in China and therefore know much more about how to manage this epidemic than we do.
They are also supplying us with medical devices, just to name one, surgical masks that here in Italy have become rarer than gold.
And the simple fact that unlike the others they have not isolated us but are sending us their experts and basic materials is having a consistent psychological impact.

Greetings
[b]We are waves of the same sea, leaves of the same tree, flowers of the same garden.[/b]

Moose On The Loose

#4 Post by Moose On The Loose »

bigpup wrote:What are they doing?
The news is really starting to suck in the US! :roll:
The news in the US has sucked for a while now.
Previously:
Q: How many cases have been discovered in the US
A: So far zero cases
Q: How many people have been tested
A: Nobody has been tested

China may have covered up discovered cases but the US's failure to discover cases was not a comfort given the obvious reason.

The US healthcare system has very little slack in it.

Experts were being silenced.

rockedge

#5 Post by rockedge »

what are you talking about? we have confirmed cases in Connecticut and NYC has many more....schools closed, sports cancelled, cinema and theaters shutdown.........factories are next

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Yeah, Moose, what rock do you live under? Maybe a month ago nobody in the U.S. had been tested, but plenty have been tested as of 7:04 today. Quite a few have been found to be infected with COVID-19. It has even caused several deaths in the U.S..

anewuser

#7 Post by anewuser »

rockedge wrote:
what are you talking about? we have confirmed cases in Connecticut and NYC has many more....schools closed, sports cancelled, cinema and theaters shutdown.........factories are next
It was more appropiate to quote it like this
The news in the US has sucked for a while now.
Previously:

Original text above the question read "previously" implying January and early February and maybe as far back as December 2019. For March 2020 it's quite obsolete. In any case, from the outside world everything looks misleading. Both for China, and the US, and actually any other country.

"World Leaders" seem to be hiding the numbers...for economic reasons.
This will be bad for China's economy so they'd rather hide the bad numbers and display as great examples of "leadership" where they got things right.
I'm pretty sure the US would do, will do, and is doing the same.

I'm not satisfied with the way mostgovernments world wide are acting.

It's also quite difficult to tell independent workers to stay put home when they (I'm included) cannot stop working because simply we would have no income in the future and no way to literally eat/buy medicines.

Lockdowns are hard and need social assistance from governments or community.

Moose On The Loose

#8 Post by Moose On The Loose »

rockedge wrote:
Note the "previously" in my comment.
I was pointing out with a slightly exaggerated case the issue with the number of cases.

Moose On The Loose

#9 Post by Moose On The Loose »

anewuser wrote: I'm not satisfied with the way mostgovernments world wide are acting.

It's also quite difficult to tell independent workers to stay put home when they (I'm included) cannot stop working because simply we would have no income in the future and no way to literally eat/buy medicines.

Lockdowns are hard and need social assistance from governments or community.
All governments are projects done by humans and as a result they are always imperfect. We can identify the problems and then work to make such things more perfect[1]. Thus not being satisfied with the actions of government should always be our situation.

In an emergency, a competently run government could find a way to compensate people who had to do difficult things in the name of the good of the nation. All governments are on the incompetent-competent spectrum. The really scary thing is that some of the public seems to prefer the incompetent.

[1] Those in the US will spot the "to make a more perfect union" reference.

anewuser

#10 Post by anewuser »

Good point Moose On The Loose. Indeed one should be dissatisfied with governments. Yeah, got the USA's Constitution reference.

nic007

#11 Post by nic007 »

I'm getting worried about the situation here in South Africa. Has not even been a week since the first infections have been reported and cases already over 400, 128 more than yesterday. Laboratories already taking strain in terms of testing so I believe the numbers may even be higher. If this spreads to the very poor in informal settlements, it's going to have terrible consequences. So far only very mild restrictions have been announced. I reckon we are heading for a total lockdown...and our government does not have the resources to bail people out like rich countries can. :(

backi

#12 Post by backi »

Hi nic007!
.and our government does not have the resources to bail people out like rich countries can.
Don`t overestimate the so called rich Countries.
EU Countries were already bankrupt/broke before "Corona".
Something`s very foul on Planet Earth.

nic007

#13 Post by nic007 »

Okay, so 21 day total lockdown for us from midnight thursday. :(

Burn_IT

#14 Post by Burn_IT »

Well if people are stupid enough not to follow sensible advice, then if behoves the government to force it.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

tallboy

#15 Post by tallboy »

And please remember, nothing that you just read here about the situation, is relevant tomorrow, no matter where you live. This is scary.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Moose On The Loose

#16 Post by Moose On The Loose »

tallboy wrote:And please remember, nothing that you just read here about the situation, is relevant tomorrow, no matter where you live. This is scary.
I think you really mean that no good news is going to be relevant tomorrow. We know that a lot of people are infected. The number will go up and not down. The number of new infections may begin to fall.

The lack of information and the obviously false claims make it far worse. There is an old gag about an airline pilot coming on the intercom and saying to the passengers "There is no cause for panic" with no context about why he may say something like that. Needless to say it panics the passengers.

I have spent all day working from home doing 100% of the work in a Puppy Linux machine. Thus can say Puppy Linux helps fight COVID-19

Burn_IT

#17 Post by Burn_IT »

I'm just hoping that the regular grocery delivery I ordered before the panic set in gets here today!!

nic007

#18 Post by nic007 »

Burn_IT wrote:Well if people are stupid enough not to follow sensible advice, then if behoves the government to force it.
Not so easy in a country where half the population lives below the breadline and worry about more pressing things like if they would have something to eat for the day. These people also generally live in unhygienic conditions and may not be readily in touch with what is going on on the outside.

Burn_IT

#19 Post by Burn_IT »

If you think half the people in the UK live below the breadline, then I wonder what you think bread is made from.
If you were thinking of China then that is fair enough, but I was talking about the UK

wiak

#20 Post by wiak »

Burn_IT wrote:If you think half the people in the UK live below the breadline, then I wonder what you think bread is made from.
If you were thinking of China then that is fair enough, but I was talking about the UK
I think I read nic007 lives in South Africa, so probably where he was referring to.