How to do Opencl programming with AMD CPU? - Solved

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
enrique

#21 Post by enrique »

wiak
I know ... this thread started wrong and confuse all. Sorry.

I started the tread not to create a new project with the intention of me getting involve 100% and then provide update on the issue. Instead I was honestly trying to get help from fred and others in busterdog without me clogging their own BusterDog thread. So my purpose is not creating interest on this topic.

Never the less, this is of GREATE Importance If you are an owner of a AMD GPU with Pre GCN Architecture. For example Northern Islands Series GPU: Cedar, Caicos, Turks, Juniper, Barts, Cayman & Antilles (HD6400->HD6900). Mine is Turks. Well all AMD before HD7000 series.

The reason is that there is no driver available for kernels over 4.1.6. So if you are an owner of an old GPU this is important as this is the only solution I know. For that reason I am offering to help anyone that ask help.
wiak wrote:Nowadays it can take a long time before anyone takes interest in a new project, especially if it is something other than providing a ready to use iso. You really need to provide simple scripts, ...
At the moment the script is as simple it can get if you run on any DebianDog. The script creates the swquashfs, to be use on debian. Now if a user needed more simpler, this means that the user has no skill to program in OpenCl. So he does not need this.

Sorry for been honest. But the concept of Heterogeneous computing or Parallel Programming is not easy. At the moment I am busy trying to set up my own programming environment. This as I am moving away of windows. But again If anyone is interested I may try to post a sample of what Is OpenCL, and how to use it. As you do not need in fact a GPU. We can do Parallel programming in CPU. This allow to use 100% of all the capacity of the CPU. But also generate the maximum heat inside you PC. So as a learning experience for a test of 1-5 minutes I guess is OK. But CPU or even GPU in Laptop should never be use to brutefore or try to crack a code.