Vivaldi-portable - for 'modern' Puppies

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
TiredPup

#61 Post by TiredPup »

@mmmr wrote:
thanks for the link to vivaldi 32-bit, mike.
seems to install okay,
This confused me a bit. This is a portable app and as such is not "installable".
i click on 'launcher' icon,
nothing
When you refer to the "launcher" icon are you talking about the script named "LAUNCH" found inside the vivaldi-portable folder?

If you downloaded the "Vivaldi-portable32.tar.gz" file and extracted the contents you will see that the extracted directory is named Vivaldi-portable. Clicking on the icon for this directory should revealtwo executable files (scripts) named "LAUNCH" and "UpdatePepperflash" along with a subdirectory named "vivaldi".

Click on the file named "LAUNCH" this should cause the browser to start.

If it does not start try opening a terminal inside the folder using the right click context menu. Start "LAUNCH" from the terminal and see what happens.

mmmrr

#62 Post by mmmrr »

thanks, tired pup,
yr quite right, 'install' is misleading.
i get to the directory containing:
sub-directory vivaldi, LAUNCH, update pepper flash.
i open a terminal there--bash:vivaldi: command not found
i try terminal inside the sub-directory vivaldi. same result.
uncheers, mm

tallboy

#63 Post by tallboy »

Have you set permissions correctly, so that the script is executable?
I put the Vivaldi-portable folder in /opt/, and then I dragged the launch script to my desktop, and start it from there. Works every time. (tahr64_6.0·6)
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

mmmrr

#64 Post by mmmrr »

thanks tallboy,

i right-clicked on the folder vivaldi portable
chose permissions, chose make executable,
chose recursive. repeated the process with the
contents of the folder: vivaldi, launch, update pepperflash,
just in case the word recursive was on holiday.

dragged launch to desktop. nothing started by clickiing
in terminal same command not found.

the touchpad on this elderly toshiba is sensitive with
edges that trigger commands. i brought it out of retirement
and downloaded the 32bit vivaldi is almost the first thing i've
done. because of the quirky touchpad i did not feel on top
of the unpacking of the zipped 32-bit vivaldi.

the zipfile is in ~/my-applications
the vivaldi folder is in ~
a folder named 32 bit is in ~/vivaldi
a tar.gz of vivaldi portable 32 is in ~/vivaldi/32-bit

that folder was where the vivaldi portable was before
i moved it to /opt

mm

mmmrr

#65 Post by mmmrr »

tried another route as i was keen to get to my email.
used seamonkey 2.48 as outlined by musher in another
thread in 2018. too tired to provide details but will later.
it is working now. big cheers, mm

Mike Walsh

#66 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ mmmrr:-

I didn't realise you were running Precise. To get Vivaldi, or indeed any Chromium-based browser running there you would need to:-

Update libgconf
Add sym-links in /lib
Install GTK3
Install apulse
Possibly install libpng16

You'd also need:-

wayland-cursor
wayland-egl
wayland-client
p11-kit
gpg-error
tasn1
gcrypt>=20+
k5crypto
krb5support
+ others..........

And even then, I think you'd find the glibc is simply too old. And libdbus. And libfuse..... Precise is not a good candidate for these modern Chromium 'clones', I'm sorry to say.

Apologies for pouring cold water on your aspirations!

Mike. :wink:

mmmrr

#67 Post by mmmrr »

thanks mike,

that's quite all right.
i feel a lot better about
'abandoning the good ship, vivaldi'
when i see that list of requisites
ending, it still will not work.

i used vivaldi a few years ago,
can't recall whether linux or windblows,
excellent browser but another suited me better.

i'll craft a tail piece another time so that each
post shows the hardware and operating system
i'm posting about. i became a keen puppy linux
guy then five years or more ago got caught up
the pleasures and efficiencies of the stylus on the
screen.

in the linux world that was not really happening,
except in puppy, where a near genius named
pizzaisgood made it look quite easy to fork that
hardware to puppylinux. he laid it all out, too, as
part of his computer studies course, but as i read it
over it seemed wiser for me to swallow my puppy
love. the lenovo tablet/pc laptops i bought ran win7.

they are superb machines, except not running puppy linux.
the toshiba i'm resurrecting came from a neighbour, it has
a french keyboard , that wicked touchpad, i must find its
settings, but a lovely big screen and the chance to swim
about in puppy linux again.

thanks again for yr many good works, mike.
cheers, mm

Mike Walsh

#68 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, guys'n'gals.

Now then; new release of Vivaldi-portable - Vivaldi-portable 3.1.1929.34

I've uploaded this to both Google and MediaFire. A few folks have been wanting packages in recent months, but are somewhat distrustful of Google, so I've started using the MediaFire a/c again.....

Anyways; here ya go:-

MediaFire

Google Drive

In both cases, navigate through & help yourselves. MD5 sums are provided if you want them.

Enjoy!

01101001b

#69 Post by 01101001b »

Mike Walsh wrote:new release of Vivaldi-portable - Vivaldi-portable 3.1.1929.34
Amazing work Mike. Both of them (32/64) work flawlessly. I really appreciate it.

Cheers! :D

Mike Walsh

#70 Post by Mike Walsh »

01101001b wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:new release of Vivaldi-portable - Vivaldi-portable 3.1.1929.34
Amazing work Mike. Both of them (32/64) work flawlessly. I really appreciate it.

Cheers! :D
I hope they do..! :) Anyways, you're most welcome. Have fun.

xenial.

#71 Post by xenial. »

Is vivaldi browser ok to use.?.Any issues with it seeing as it is a closed source browser.

mikeslr

#72 Post by mikeslr »

xenial. wrote:Is vivaldi browser ok to use.?.Any issues with it seeing as it is a closed source browser.
Which Web-browser you use depends on (a) your level of ignorance; (b) your desire for 'bells, whistles, and convenience' and (c) who do you trust.

If you never ask (c) you're at the highest level of (a).

Links anyone? Anyone think Links is convenient? Netsurf: nice GUI but if you want the utility of mainstream browsers you'll need java. Anyone really trust Java?

I know Microsoft has replaced Explorer with something. Don't remember its name. Do you trust Microsoft to handle the information you provide by using its web-browser? Well, you're saved that decision. It's not available for Linux.

As a practical matter there are currently only two 'manufacturers' of 'convenient' web-browsers: mozilla & Google. Mozilla publishes firefox, firefox-esr and seamonkey. (firefox-)LIght, Palemoon and some others whose names currently escape me (as I understand it) strip firefox of some of its 'utility'/bloat --depending on your viewpoint-- with Palemoon rebuilding it with some lighter components. Palemoon is a good all purpose web-browser. But in the last year or so firefox has made (or at least published* that it's made) a concerted effort to create a web-browser reasonably secure against intrusion which doesn't 'call home to mozilla' reporting on everything you do. It's my web-browser of choice for any on-line financial activity primarily because it will honor Spot's restrictions. Look for my posts about them.

Tor is firefox configured to run thru a randomized series of intermediaries so that the originator of the input is difficult to identify. If your bank provides access to someone concealing his/her identity, time to change banks.

Google-Chrome provides the most 'bells & whistles'. Hence, it is the most convenient web-browser for many activities. But Google-Chrome makes its living selling the information you provide it about yourself every time you 'search', 'click' or otherwise respond. George Orwell's prediction was wrong. Big-Brother government may be collecting data. But mostly it isn't watching. Uncle-Google is watching. And whatever data it collects it can be compelled to disclose. Being a 'for profit' company, Google will subordinate principle for profit as it's done in China.

Google-Chrome's test-bed using the blink engine is Chromium. When it's satisfied with one of the zillion tests of potential changes it runs daily, it adds its branding and 'call home' devices and publishes Google-Chrome.

Various other web-browser publishers take Chromium, modify it --often stripping out much of Google's questionable modules-- and publish their brand. Among those are Brave, Cliqz, Opera, Iron and Vivaldi.

Want your web-conduct limited to those website favored by the publishers of Brave or Cliqz? Well, use them.

Opera used to be my favorite 'Chromium-clone'. Although Opera is a private company based in Norway, and Norway's privacy laws are 'user-rather than corporate desires' oriented, a Chinese company now owns a substantial interest in Opera. Ignore the fact that Mainland China refers to itself as the People Republic and spouts Communist slogans. It now operates under the Confucius' 'tried and true' principles of government: One leader supported and to varying extents influenced by his hand-picked advisors who receive information thru and direct the activities of a Central Bureaucracy. Political influence and nepotism go 'hand-in-hand'. Private enterprise depends on 'How private'. Small & Local -- who cares. Large and capable of furthering the objectives of the Government --the Government cares. If you can find a more definitive formula for determining to what extent the Chinese Government controls or ignores the so-called private activities of High Ranking Party Members and their relatives you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

Iron: Based in Germany with the EU's strong user protection laws. Strips Chromium of its 'call home to google features'; seeks --claims-- to apply high privacy standards. But, it's slow to update. https://www.howtogeek.com/108384/6-alte ... le-chrome/

Vivaldi: Also based in Norway. Founded by an Opera dissident even before the Chinese involvement. Created to recapture the utility for which the 'old' opera (pre-blink) was known. Regarding privacy: "We don’t track or profile you. We don’t do data collection. We don’t sell your data to third parties. We don’t get to see the sites you visit, what you type in the browser, or your downloads. This type of data is either stored locally on your machine, or encrypted." https://vivaldi.com/privacy/browser/. Vivaldi had little to do in order to comply with the EUs passage of laws in 2018.

Who do you trust?

Of course, you can probably install any Google-Chrome Extension into any Chromium based browser. I'll let you guess what that does to your privacy. But, you can also choose not to. Or use Mike Walsh's last Google-Chrome SFS (update-able) which does respect the Spot Restrictions: what you're doing this minute is open to Google; what you've stored on your computer is not.

So, currently, I run three web-browsers. Palemoon for accessing this website and most other 'who cares what I'm doing' activity. Firefox for conducting online financial activity. And Vivaldi for running searches which may take me to 'who knows where.' I have Google-Chrome SFS. Don't remember the last time I used it; or why?

* The US is ambiguous about privacy. But, when push-comes-to-shove, it does provide remedies for misrepresentation and some-what grudgingly allows class-action Law suites which can result in damage award sufficiently large to bother even the stockholders of public companies.

tallboy

#73 Post by tallboy »

xenial wrote:Is vivaldi browser ok to use.?.Any issues with it seeing as it is a closed source browser.
They regard you privacy as the most important feature. Read the messages on heir site first, and make up your mind afterwards.

I hardly use any of the functions in Vavaldi, I don't use bookmarks, history and I am not on social media. I like it because of the built-in easy notes and screenshot functions. I prefer Palemoon, but that one has crashed on me a lot lately...

tallboy

#74 Post by tallboy »

Mike, the Vivaldi took all my memory!
See http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 79#1062079