Gujin bootloader and multisession Puppy?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Flash
Official Dog Handler

Gujin bootloader and multisession Puppy?

#1 Post by Flash »

I was reading the Gujin FAQ and saw this (about three quarters of the way down the page):
<snip>....
* There is no autoselection of the El-torito image to boot as decribed in the specs, all sessions are treated the same (not just the last data session), and the boot address of said no-emulation is always 0x7C00 - max 2048 bytes loaded there.
* The emulated floppy/hard drive is BIOS and EBIOS with configurable bytes per sector as long as it is multiple of 512.
Note that more generally Gujin does not link a device to a way of booting, so you can use a hard disk or a partition to dump byte per byte the content of a CDROM, and boot from it. You also can have a standard hard disk image on your CDROM (with partitions) and boot from it - that is booting from the first sector treated as a MBR.
Note that Gujin correctly treat FAT partitions with 2048 bytes per sectors independantly of the number of sector per cluster.
Have a look at the target CDall (multisession) and CDallEmul in file Makefile for a test CDROM and for more comments.

# How do I boot from CDROM with a simulated floppy containing Gujin?

You should have the cdrecord and mkisofs packages installed for this task.
The version I have are: "cdrecord --version" is "Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a19" and "mkisofs -v" is "mkisofs 2.01a17".
It works without problem on my system, I have an ATAPI CDROM and detected the CD rewriter by:
cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI # (and so no "hdc=cdrom" kernel command line parameter)....
<snip>