High Density Websites overheat HP HDX Premium [SOLVED]

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Sky Aisling

#1 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hello, :)

Is there a way to effectively cope with the over-heating of the computer when a website broadcasts at a high density rate?

The machine I have is a HP HDX Premium Series. The OS is Tahr64 6.0.5.frugal install on HD, updated periodically through quick pet. The transmission source is cable. The monitor is a NEC Multisynch EA231WMi. I know from past experience that HP machines have a reputation for overheating. This machine is ok until a high-density web site comes up, for example: MSNBC.

Note: my small HP Pavilion DM1 running off wifi doesn't seem affected by a high-density website.

I've been putting a blue gel ice pack under or on top of the machine. The pack keeps the machine hovering around 70 degrees. The warning light goes on when the temp hits 71 degrees or higher. Several times the temp read-out has gone as high as 80 degrees.

In the past with other brands of computers, I have taken the machines apart and cleaned the dust out of the fan area. This HP's fan is on the very bottom the the MBoard and takes disassembling many parts in order to get to the fan(s).

So, is there a mechanical solution or perhaps a software solution to keep this HP from melting down?

Thank you in advance for any comments or suggestions.

Sky
Last edited by Sky Aisling on Wed 29 Jan 2020, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

It will run cooler (but slightly slower) if you change the cpu governor to "powersave" from what is probably "on demand".

I use the CPUTemp app, but there is also a way to do it from the terminal.

Sky Aisling

Over Heating Hardware

#3 Post by Sky Aisling »

Thank you, dancytron.

I've found the CPU Frequency information showing frequency governor which is 'ondemand'.

I have CPUtemp running in the tray. CPUtemp is how I know the machine is overheating.

Where or how do I change the frequency governer? CPUtemp doesn't seem to have any options to do that.

Sky
Attachments
CPUTemp1.png
(25.41 KiB) Downloaded 199 times

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Have you taken the back off and checked the inside for dust buildup?
Cleaned the cooling fan and air inlets and outlets?
Do you know for sure the cooling fans are even working?
Attachments
dirty_laptop_fans_vents_01.jpg
(43.52 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Sky Aisling

Over Heating Hardware

#5 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hi bigpup :)

Sky writes:
In the past with other brands of computers, I have taken the machines apart and cleaned the dust out of the fan area. This HP's fan is on the very bottom the the MBoard and takes disassembling many parts in order to get to the fan(s).
To get to the fans almost the whole machine has to be disassembled. I've been too lazy to do that. I have blown out the various fan vents, put the machine on 'legs' so it can breathe better. Yes, the fans are working. I can both hear them and feel the exhaust coming out of the vents.

The machine only overheats when certain websites present rich data transmissions which aren't many. The news site MSNBC is the site that really challenges the machine. The site overheats the machine within a minute of opening the site. The temp pops from 45 to 80 degrees. The rest of the time there is no problem with overheating. Machine runs a comfortable 45+-.

Pretty grizzly fan pictures. Once I took out enough lint from a donated machine to knit a kid's sweater.

Sky

dancytron

Re: Over Heating Hardware

#6 Post by dancytron »

Sky Aisling wrote:Thank you, dancytron.

I've found the CPU Frequency information showing frequency governor which is 'ondemand'.

I have CPUtemp running in the tray. CPUtemp is how I know the machine is overheating.

Where or how do I change the frequency governer? CPUtemp doesn't seem to have any options to do that.

Sky
I don't have puppy in front of me right now, but maybe this thread will put you on the right track.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 09687710f1

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

If it is just on some specific web sites.

Maybe use the browser setup to control what it will allow from that web site.
I bet they bomb you with all kinds of running videos.

msnbc.com seems OK on my web browser setup.
It is just a web page with none of their videos running.
YaPI(any iso installer)

ozsouth

#8 Post by ozsouth »

@Sky Aisling - From System menu, run CPU frequency scaling tool & choose powersave governor.

Sky Aisling

Over Heating Hardware

#9 Post by Sky Aisling »

dancytron, thank you, yes, the thread you suggest is helpful and educational.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 09687710f1

bigpup, Yep, they are bombing me with all kinds of running videos.

ozsouth, thank you for the directions of how to set the frequency governor.

It takes a village, or in this case, a kennel to solve a problem. :lol:

I'll study all your suggestions and put them to use in the morning. You have got me started on the right track.

Grateful for your help.

Sky

Sky Aisling

Over Heating Hardware

#10 Post by Sky Aisling »

Wednesday morning update...

I've started testing with the CPU frequency tool. I've tried 80% and 50% demand. So far the 80% is making the best difference. The sound and lip movement on talking heads now syncs better. The MSNBC temp does climb slower to 71 degrees but then hovers between 69 and 71 which is ok for me. And, the machine's fan is running quieter. The most improvement shows on other sites that are NOT data heavy. These sites do seem a bit smoother and cleaner.

I've also put taller 'legs' on the bottom of the machine.

The machine has duo CPUs. Is that significant in this situation?

The thread dancytron suggests is helpful in educating myself to the wonky part of this issue. This frequency demand situation is a new brain twister to me.

bigpup
you write:
Maybe use the browser setup to control what it will allow from that web site.
I've gone into PaleMoon 28.0.2 (64) preferences looking for a way to control what it will allow from the site. Is "preferences" where I need to look? Or somewhere else?

I'm marking the thread "solved" in that you've all given me a good start at figuring this out.

I do wonder if MSNBC is sending it's blocks of data in random sizes rather than a consistent standard data-block size.
But hey? what do I know except it's raining out so I have time to play puppy this morning.

Thanks again,

Sky
Attachments
HP-Duo-CPU.png
(39.19 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
CPUFrequencyTool1.png
(44.37 KiB) Downloaded 141 times

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

bigpup, Yep, they are bombing me with all kinds of running videos.
Yes Palemoon preferences is where you can set limits on what will happen by a web page.

When I use Palemoon to look at msnbc.com
There are a bunch of videos, but none are running.
Palemoon->Preferences->Content->Block pop up windows
YaPI(any iso installer)

Sky Aisling

Over Heating Hardware

#12 Post by Sky Aisling »

bigpup writes:
When I use Palemoon to look at msnbc.com
There are a bunch of videos, but none are running.
Sometimes my mouse drifts over to the smaller windows of videos and activates one without sound.
Attachments
mouse0e.gif
(276 Bytes) Downloaded 116 times

Sky Aisling

#13 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hi All,

dancytron , you write:
I use the CPUTemp app...
Do you or anyone know if that app be loaded into the system tray in Dpup Stretch 7.5? And, is that the same app that showed automatically in Tahrpup 7.0.5 system tray?

If so, does anyone know where I can find CPUTemp or an equivalent app?
Dpup Stretch Puppy Package Manager says it doesn't exist in it's directories. Directories are updated. Perhaps it's listed under a different name?

I've blown the dust out of the fan area.

Thank you,

Sky
Attachments
CPUtem1.png
(52.86 KiB) Downloaded 34 times

Mike Walsh

#14 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Sky Aisling:-

You can find 01Micko's pmcputemp here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=98299

It was never in the PPM, BTW. D/l the one you need, click to install, then do a re-start of 'X' for it to show up in the notification area over on the right.

-----------------------------------

Depending on CPU/mobo combination, it's possible the original version won't give a readout, just display a 'fixed', unchanging value. If this should be the case, ozsouth did a 'patched' workaround for pmcputemp. I can't find the thread off-hand, but you can find pmcputemp-0.63a (both arches) at my Google Drive, here:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Uninstall the previous version, then install this in its place.

Hope those help!

Mike. :wink:

Sky Aisling

#15 Post by Sky Aisling »

Mike Walsh writes:
You can find 01Micko's pmcputemp here:-
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=98299

It was never in the PPM, BTW. D/l the one you need, click to install, then do a re-start of 'X' for it to show up in the notification area over on the right.
Thank you, Mike. I used pmcputemp-0.63-i686.pet.
The apps works perfect in Dpup Stretch 7.0.5 System Tray.
:D
Sky
Attachments
CPU Temp .pet Dpup Stretch(1).png
(9.39 KiB) Downloaded 58 times

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#16 Post by Flash »

Sky, I'm curious to know what happens if you use a different browser on that website. Firefox for instance. If you can't find Firefox as a .pet for your Puppy, you can download the latest version of Firefox from Mozilla.org.

In Rox, if you click on the Firefox file you downloaded, Puppy will probably offer to unzip it or some such. After it's unzipped, right-click on the resulting Firefox folder, choose Permissions, then Yes. Then open the folder, find the gear icon that's labeled Firefox, right-click on it, choose Permissions and Yes. After all that, Firefox should start when you click the Firefox gear icon in the Firefox folder. If the Firefox folder is going to stay where it is, you can drag the gear icon onto the desktop.

Sky Aisling

#17 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hi Flash,
Yes, I have Apluse Firefox that ozsouth helped me to create.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 17#1057517

The machine over heats no matter what browser I use. MSNBC being the worst culprit in producing high density sites. However, ever since the anchors on MSNBC have been broadcasting from 'home' the temperature reading rarely goes over 71 degrees now. This makes me think for sure it's the amount of data the site is pushing at the viewer. Once the anchors started broadcasting from home as do their guests, the CPU temp gauge has come way down.

HP's are apparently known for overheating. The fan unit in this HP HDX model is literally buried on the motherboard and just about the whole machine has to be disassembled to get to the fan to clean or replace it.

Sky

Sky Aisling

#18 Post by Sky Aisling »

UPDATE:

I stripped the machine down to the mboard to check for dirt in the fan and the condition of the heat sink paste.
The fan was relatively clean considering the age of the machine.
The heat sink compound was completely gone.
I re-pasted the components.
The machine is running cool and quiet. High density sites such as MSNBC are running an easy 62 degrees and staying in that temp zone.

Also, it might be my imagination but the video quality seems better. One of the chips that needed re-pasting was the video chip. Sound seems cleaner too.

Good thing it was a rainy day today. This HP HDX is a challenge to dismantle. I have a few extra screws left over, but, hey!

Sky

bigpup

#19 Post by bigpup »

Does the fan ever change speed?
It is suppose to.

May be bios settings, for the fan speed, or what temp, causes it to come on.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Sky Aisling

#20 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hi Bigpup,
Bigpup writes:
Does the fan ever change speed?
It is suppose to.
The fan is running albeit quietly.
I haven't heard it change speed.
Temp is staying well within a green area of 42 - 71 degrees. So, maybe it doesn't need to change at those levels?
Give me another week of running this machine and we'll see if the heat sink paste is sticking and doing it's job. I spent all day yesterday with the innards of the HP spread all over my Out house table. 'Screen time' yesterday was more like 'Squint time' as I searched for those tiny-weeny screws that escaped even my best efforts at keeping them corralled. :)

EDIT: Yes, the fan is changing speeds.

Sky

PS - I attempted to read the bios for clues early on, but, HP is stingy with sharing info in their bios department.