How best to post wallpapers in the forum?

Themes, icons, wallpapers, etc.
davenull

How best to post wallpapers in the forum?

#1 Post by davenull »

Hi forum,
I have several photo-based Puppy wallpapers that I’ve made for myself over the last few years that I’d like to contribute for others to use if they would like.

Could someone provide or point me to a primer on how and where to make them available for download and how best to display them here in the forum? I don’t have much experience with posting images to online forums or filesharing. I'd like to display them in the forum and make them available for download, maybe all of them in a zipfile.

I notice that nearly all of the remote image hosting sites in the wallpaper threads have eventually gone defunct, leading to a desert of dead links and non-images. I’d like to avoid that.

Should they be posted under the “Puppy wallpapers" thread? It doesn’t seem to be much read anymore. Is there someplace else more appropriate?

Any advice about various options or forum etiquette would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, Dave.

Mm. Wallpapers, huh?

You can post 'em as an attachment to a post.....but two things you need to take care with. No high-res photos, please, because they expand the post to such a width that some of us on old hardware with relatively small screens end up having to scroll horizontally - multiple times, too! - simply to view the entire thing. (And watch the file-size; attachments are a max of 256 kb. Many of my own are considerably larger than that.....and every attachment to the Forum's servers increases the required bandwidth.)

(Recommended width for displaying on the forum is 600 pixels, maximum.....though I'm convinced that for some people, they're either 'word-blind', or else they simply don't give a s**t about anybody else.)

Re:- Hosting sites: yes, they do "come & go". You've obviously seen the many dead links to TinyPic; it used to be very popular with Puppians. It's been gone for quite a while.

Myself, I use either Imgur, or, more recently, PostImage. Both of these are fairly solid image-hosting sites. Some on the Forum even share photos from their Google Drive, via the Google "Photos" function (the replacement for the older 'Picasa').

-----------------------------------

I'd recommend

PostImage for image-hosting
MediaFire for file-sharing

Both are completely free to use; MediaFire are based somewhere in Texas; I've never had any issues with using the site, and if you do get the odd problem crop up, they're pretty good at promptly fixing 'em.

It works just like a normal file-manager; there's the standard directory structures, you can add/delete additional sub-folders if you want, rename them, edit them; upload/download either single files or a directory containing multiple files.....etc, etc.

For downloads, each item's entry contains a 'link' button; you just click to copy this, paste it into your forum post, and wrap it with tags.

----------------------------------

Pretty much the same applies to PostImage; same kind of structure - you can create/name personalised folders/directories - upload JPG's/jpegs, PNGs, even animated GIFs. For displaying in the forum, just hover the mouse over the image you want to share; a 'share' button & a 'delete' button are both displayed. Click on the 'share' button, paste into your forum post, only this time you wrap it with tags, instead.

----------------------------------

It probably sounds horrendously complicated, but trust me, it's a walk in the park once you've done it a few times.....it's SO simple, a 5-yr old would in all likelihood run rings round me & thee (they start 'em off with computers in pre-school, nowadays!! :shock: :roll: )

Any other questions, ask away. No big secrets where this kinda stuff is concerned; the more contributors to the available pool of 'Puppy' software there are, the better for all of us.

Mike. :wink:

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Here is the topic in the forum.
Puppy Wallpapers
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=36334
You can post in this topic.

The attached image does not have to be that detailed or large in size to work as a good wallpaper.
The Puppy wallpaper setter program can easily scale up and stretch an image.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)