BBC Video doesn't work with Bionicpup64

Booting, installing, newbie
franzjh

BBC Video doesn't work with Bionicpup64

#1 Post by franzjh »

Hi There,

Perhaps the problem is something like streamer but I have no idea how to fix it. I can't see videos from BBC with bionicpup64. I've attached an example. The site address is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/en ... /ep-200122

Thank you
Attachments
example.jpg
(44.65 KiB) Downloaded 216 times

Fossil

#2 Post by Fossil »

franzjh Welcome.
Have you installed Flash? On viewing the BBC website I get this reply. Picture below.

P.S. Hungry swans have learned to ring a bell and in return receive food from the building alongside the moat adjoining the Bishop's Palace, in Wells, Somerset, UK.

Two pictures enclosed. Just for fun! :lol:
Attachments
Hungry Swans - need Flash-01.jpg
(52.08 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
Wells, Somerset, Swan rings the Bishop's Palace Bell, 20-06-2019, 800, DSC00265.jpg
(131.34 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
Wells, Somerset, Swan rings the Bishop's Palace Bell, 20-06-2019, 800, DSC00230.jpg
(130.34 KiB) Downloaded 211 times

OscarTalks

#3 Post by OscarTalks »

I just booted a fresh BionicPup64 and the swans video plays in the Palemoon 28.4.0 which comes with this Puppy. That is without flash player installed. Were you using a different browser?
Oscar in England

franzjh

#4 Post by franzjh »

Hello,

Fossil.
When I try to install flash I receive that message (attached).

Oscar.
Yes, with Palemoon it works fine. I'm using here Vivaldi because I can sync it.
Attachments
flash.jpg
(17.38 KiB) Downloaded 178 times

rockedge

#5 Post by rockedge »

I have had the same problem all along with Bionic64 using getflash that is included. It just doesn't work. I'm waiting for the day it gets fixed BUT in the meanwhile I download this version -> FlashPlayer_updater-1.9_1-Redux.pet

from this thread -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74491

which will install and run. Perhaps Vivaldi's html5 support is disabled? Or reverts to flash....anyway this getflash redux works on my Bionic64's

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

Just tried this in my portable-Opera running in Bionicpup64, and it loads fine. It should play via HTML5 anyway (Oscar's 'try-out' proves that, since he didn't use Flash), but just so's you know, remember that Vivaldi (being a Chromium 'clone') uses Pepperflash.....not standard FlashPlayer.

But you shouldn't need it.

Mike. :wink:

peterw

Need for Flash

#7 Post by peterw »

Just tried out in my Bionic64 without Flash and it works for me. Video plays well.

I did wonder if it plays for UK IIPs but not for others. iPlayer certainly will not let you play the content when away from the UK,. Bit unlikely for education content though.

rockedge

#8 Post by rockedge »

I am looking at it here in the USA okay

peterw

Trying different BBC video

#9 Post by peterw »

I wonder if a different BBC video can be played by franzjh such as https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/z ... es/zskthyc.

And can BBC video be played by another Puppy such as Slacko or a relation such as Fatdog

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

I'm using here Vivaldi

Have you run Quickpet->Info->Bionicpup updates?
This is one of the bug fixes it provides.
08/03/2019 install fix for opera, vivaldi & chromium, add chromium-codecs-ffmpeg ...Gnimmelf
Are you getting Vivaldi from Quickpet->Browsers?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

Re: Trying different BBC video

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

peterw wrote:I wonder if a different BBC video can be played by franzjh such as https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/z ... es/zskthyc.

And can BBC video be played by another Puppy such as Slacko or a relation such as Fatdog
Well, I don't know if "Auntie's" iPlayer counts as 'video'. I'm guessing it does; I've been watching iPlayer for a few months in an assortment of Puppies, and an assortment of browsers.....Palemoon; SeaMonkey; Firefox (Quantum & ESR); Chrome; Opera (etc., etc.)

OscarTalks

#12 Post by OscarTalks »

What version of Vivaldi and where did you get it from?
Again I booted a fresh BionicPup64
I downloaded my version of Vivaldi from here:-
https://yadi.sk/d/euoIiDRDqcFnK?force_show=1
Version number is 2.3.1440.61
Obviously you want the 64bit version (amd64)
I used the .sfs but you can use the .pet if you prefer
I remember that in that package I substituted the ffmpeg.so library for the one with extra codecs so that might be why some other Vivaldi is not working with some videos (?)
Anyway, the swans video plays OK for me in this Vivaldi in BionicPup64
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

OscarTalks wrote:What version of Vivaldi and where did you get it from?
Again I booted a fresh BionicPup64
I downloaded my version of Vivaldi from here:-
https://yadi.sk/d/euoIiDRDqcFnK?force_show=1
Version number is 2.3.1440.61
Obviously you want the 64bit version (amd64)
I used the .sfs but you can use the .pet if you prefer
I remember that in that package I substituted the ffmpeg.so library for the one with extra codecs so that might be why some other Vivaldi is not working with some videos (?)
Anyway, the swans video plays OK for me in this Vivaldi in BionicPup64
@ Oscar:-

Mm-hm. Sounds about right. As I found out from the guys over on the Opera forum, 'twas the libffmpeg 'upgrade' that allowed the WideVine modifications Seaside & I were experimenting with to finally work correctly in the portable-Opera..

I seem to recall you had to perform much the same 'surgery' with SlimJet, didn't you?

OscarTalks

#14 Post by OscarTalks »

Hi Mike,

Yes, I would always substitute the ffmpeg.so
I think it is because most of these chromium derivative developers don't have permission to distribute some of these codecs which are commonly used but not fully open source. I recall the Slimjet website posted a link to a source for a library and recommended that people made the substitution, but I also got the extra-codec ffmpeg.so libs from Arch or Ubuntu who presumably do have all the licences.

Incidentally, you mention widevine, I know you have your methods but just a reminder that Vivaldi includes a script which downloads the latest widevine library for you.
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#15 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Oscar:-

Oh, there's no 'trade secrets' connected with what I do, mate..! I'm glad I found this download location from a project page at Github; this is the one I was referred to over at the Opera forums. I'll publish it here in case anybody else has a use/need for it:-

https://github.com/iteufel/nwjs-ffmpeg- ... /releases/

Github have proved unexpectedly useful for a lot of this kind of stuff, because there's also links out to John van Sickle's page for the pre-built, statically-compiled Linux ffmpeg binaries, too:-

https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/

All handy items for those in Puppyland to have access to.... I've already used a few of these in various Pups in the kennels, and they've all been gold. Everything works as it should - especially on the old Compaq, which I now know had an 'awkward' sound chip - though on my new Intel-powered 'compact' HP desktop, I've no longer got the audio capture issues, thank Christ! Used to drive me to distraction.... :roll: