Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 29 Aug 2015, 21:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
$100 PC using Puppy becoming a reality
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 4 [53 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul 2005, 21:56    Post subject: Re: Terminal as Puppy PC  

raffy wrote:
Quote:
BarryK wrote:
The one they sent me has a 128M CF card (direct IDE connection, so it's fast) and 256M RAM.

Let me repeat the question lest it's forgotten Smile

What does Barry think of the minimum flash and RAM memory required for this machine to run Puppy? (for day-to-day work, that is)

PS - for the post above - Puppy v.1.0.3 does not require floppy for HD install...

I can't give a definitive answer to that, as it depends on your needs.
The pup001 file is limited, as it is only going to be about 70M.
But then, what do most people need for surfing the web, writing letters, doing some home finances, etc?
... probably they just plug in an external usb pen drive and save to there.
... email and cached stuff will accumulate in the pup001 file, so that would have to be pruned sometimes.
... you wouldn't be able to install big PupGets and DotPups.

So, it's maybe okay for fairly restricted end-user, but hackers, those wanting to fiddle with Puppy, experiment and so on, would probably want bigger specs... like a 512M RAM module and 256M flash. Or hd.

But I imagine for many people, the 256M RAM and 128M Flash is fine. It is all ready to go, the apps are there. As a second or third PC that is given to the kids or wife (or whatever, not trying to be sexist!) that will just run, nothing to do. Yeah, I can see it as quite satisfactory.

This is just an opinion though!
sverdy

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul 2005, 23:39    Post subject: Re: Terminal as Puppy PC  

Devon IT has been testing the Puppy OS on our thin client terminals for a couple of months. Since there is some interest, we are willing to sell these to readers of this forum. This is a prototype model based on our 6010A (VIA EDEN 4000 433Mhz) with the following modifications: Upgraded to 256MB RAM and 128MB Flash and the Operating system changed to "Puppy Linux" (1.04) (you can get more info on our terminals at http://www.ntavo.com/ntaterminal.php

We can sell these at US$189 plus shipping to readers of this forum. This includes the US keyboard, mouse and power cord. We cannot offer support on the OS but the terminals come with our warranty. We are not advertising these on our site so if you send an email, please make sure you refer to the "Puppy"! Also, we are donating $10 of each Puppy Thin Client sold through this forum to Barry - no strings attached - to help foster his development efforts.

Since this is a prototype, the configuration and price may change accordingly and I will keep you apprised as it evolves.

If you have any questions on buying, send an email to info@devonit.com or send me a private message. If you have questions that would be of interest to the forum, feel free to post them here and I will answer as soon as I can.

Thanks!
Stephane
flamesage

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul 2005, 23:45    Post subject:  

Wghats this there saying about not having a HD?
Does that mean it won't save or what? o.o
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul 2005, 00:24    Post subject:  

No HD.

I've got it on my desk standalone, and I was thinking in that mode when I made the last post, but of course it would be most at home on a network and would have access to hard drives over the network.

One thing, it's spooky to use -- as there's no sound.
My regular PC sounds like an aeroplane starting up, but this NTA PC, I keep feeling something is wrong... maybe it needs to have a simulated fan sound Wink Laughing

I'm planning to have a bit more of a play with it tonight.
I think the way Puppy is installed, at least the one they sent me, can be improved. It has a CF card on the ide cable, so it's /dev/hda1, but Puppy is installed as a usb installation ...which was done to minimise writes to flash.
...anyway, I need to think about it, see if it can be optimised.
I'll report back soon!

I think there were some posts awhile back, re the best way to boot off an internal ide cf card.
raffy

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul 2005, 00:34    Post subject: Link correction and No HD  

You can use the compact flash card for saving files, of course. Smile

Hey, congrats to Barry and all Puppy's supporters for this break! What an opportune way to celebrate version 1.04. Very Happy

Please correct the link to NTAVO:

http://www.ntavo.com/ntaterminal.php

(the closing parenthesis was included in the previous link)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul 2005, 00:48    Post subject: Re: Link correction and No HD  

raffy wrote:
<snip>
Please correct the link to NTAVO:

http://www.ntavo.com/ntaterminal.php

(the closing parenthesis was included in the previous link)
Thanks, raffy. I fixed it in the original post.
flamesage

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul 2005, 01:23    Post subject:  

Diskless PC – No Hard Drive to fail

What does this mean?
Does that mean theres no hard-drive to save your files on?
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul 2005, 02:01    Post subject: Re: Terminal as Puppy PC  

sverdy wrote:

Since this is a prototype, the configuration and price may change accordingly and I will keep you apprised as it evolves.

Hi Stephane

- good luck with the prototype

Well hopefully we will have a few more forum readers as I have placed your info here (it is on a wiki so you can edit it)
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/LatestNews

Smile
Hope that is OK

Would you be able to flash upgrade to 1.0.5?
What is the boot up time?
I suppose you could use an external USB harddrive OK?
Do you have the resources to create a Puppy on PCI card (that starts booting BEFORE any graphics - or has graphics on board)?
Does it go "woof woof"?

I was quite intrigued by the NTA 6015L which seems close to my future ideal - does it come in solar powered?

(Dream on Crusty - Dream on . . .)

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul 2005, 07:05    Post subject:  

I'm playing with the NTA-6010A tonight, first chance I've had to take a good look at it.
I think I already mentioned that the boot process needs to be improved, as it currently isn't creating a home pupxxx file, just running in ramdisk.
...but that should be fixable.
...i never had this ide - cf card configuration before.

The 433MHz Eden CPU isn't the latest, and RAM is only SDRAM, one RAM socket with a 256M RAM module, USB 1.1, not version 2.

There's one ide socket and a ide cable to the cf card. Let's see if I can insert a photo... have attached it.

The cf card is mounted in a bracket that looks like it would take a laptop hard-drive -- now that's interesting as I happen to have one, will try that soon. There's a spare power plug, the large kind. Those laptop hard drives need an adaptor to plug onto a standard ide cable and power plug -- readily available, cost a few dollars.

The pci socket has a 90-degree adaptor so that a pci card lies flat. It has to be a "short" pci card, that doesn't extend beyond the end of the socket -- the snapshot shows me holding a wifi card, trying to indicate how it will fit on the case, 90-degree adaptor has been removed.

I'll report back on progress with improving the Puppy installation, and this weekend will try the hard-drive install.

[/img]
mvc-857s.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   72.42 KB
 Viewed   12673 Time(s)

mvc-857s.jpg

Last edited by BarryK on Sat 23 Jul 2005, 06:53; edited 1 time in total
dvw86

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul 2005, 11:42    Post subject:  

I think that this is great. I really linke the case. One of the best looking Mini-ITX cases that I've seen. It certainly fits my idea of the "Ultimate Puppy Machine" It cost me a little under $300 US to build mine, so it is wonderful that they can offer these for under $200 US and still donate $10 of it to Barry (although mine was 800MHz and 512MB of DDR RAM). I hope that Barry can perfect the CF to IDE configuration since I am currently installed on a HD and would like to go to CF. I would like to thank the people at DEVON IT for supporting Puppy and Barry. It's great to have them as members of the community.
cygnus

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul 2005, 12:12    Post subject:  

If a laptop-style hard drive could fit in that system, it would make a great mini-Linux desktop. A distro like Vector or Minislack would run well, I should think.

I don't have a lot of experience with IDE CF cards, but I think Puppy on one of those would be sweet. Once Barry gets the boot sequence to his liking, I just may get one of those Puppy boxes. I also like that they're based in King of Prussia, PA (my home state).

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul 2005, 11:53    Post subject:  

Howto boot Puppy from an internal CF card posted here:

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=7182#7182

Note, the preinstalled Puppy supplied on the NTA PC was not quite right, and the howto fixes it -- the NTA guys are monitoring this thread, so will fix it!

I can post the modified image.gz, if necessary.
danleff

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul 2005, 18:02    Post subject:  

This is great!

I have a Travala mini-itx case, bout the same size. Yes, the CF disk requires an ide/cf adapter and is seen at hdb. I have it as my primary slave.

Flamesage, you use the Compact Flash card as a hard drive, or just use a slimline cdrom drive to boot off a cd disk. Mine allows installation of a hard drive, either regular ide, or a laptop drive.

I'll have to give this a go soon on a Cf card.

--Hannibal Smith
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul 2005, 20:35    Post subject:  

If you boot a live-CD with the modified image.gz,
I think if you plug the CF card into a usb CF reader, then do the normal install-to-usb, except edit syslinux.cfg with PHOME=hdb1 instead of sda1, that should do it.
Then transfer the CF card to the target thin PC.
raffy

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul 2005, 23:18    Post subject: Thin Hard Drive  

Great work going there for the use of flash cards with Puppy.

Can't help but note that the IDE cable and power supply plug seem ready to support a thin hard disk, such as those supplied for thin clients. In fact, an old 420-MB hard disk I used for a Celeron 333-Mhz fitted a thin client from Japan, from a friend's junk collection Smile

Page 2 of 4 [53 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: