(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 25 Feb 2021, 23:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Install gone bad; how to start over?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
cruzin

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jan 2020, 22:31    Post subject:  Install gone bad; how to start over?  

Hi to all, I just ran live cd iso got puppy all working, did a save on first shutdown. started back up and installed a couple items, ssh, vlc and filezilla. Tried to start vlc and filezilla by looking through the menus I did not see anything that had been installed. Tried to start filezilla and vlc. in the terminal got errors.

And I looked through my files and there is about 60 files in my "home dir"

Can I just delete that save until I learn better on how to install things in puppy bionic puppy.

thanks,
Gordie

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jan 2020, 23:59    Post subject:  

Yes you can. If you delete your savefile then you will be prompted to create a new one when you shutdown. No harm done
Slackware64-Current, Thinkpad W510, Intel i7, 8G/500G, Lilo / Legacy.
Fatdog64 + 6 Puppies on USB flash drives.
Windows 10 / Slackware64-Current, HP desktop, Intel Core2 Duo, 4G/500G/250G, Lilo / Legacy.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jan 2020, 13:12    Post subject:  

But to find the Save file so you can delete it, you have to boot the Puppy CD with the right boot option. I think that would be puppy=noram but that doesn't look right. Depending on the Puppy you're using, there may be a list of options to choose from when the CD boots. One of those options would be what you need.
jafadmin

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jan 2020, 15:46    Post subject:  

This will tell you where to find your pupsave file:

Code:
 cat /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE | grep PUPSAVE

bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jan 2020, 03:01    Post subject:  

Puppy Package Manager(PPM)->Uninstall.
Here you can uninstall any software installed by PPM, a deb package, or a pet package.

In the future, trying to install programs.

On this forum. See if you can find a pet package for the software. Pet packages are compiled for Puppy, so have everything needed for Puppy.

This is a good search to find stuff
http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html

Puppy Package Manager(PPM) is a good place to get them.
However, PPM will show stuff from Puppy repositories and non-Puppy specific repositories.
Stuff from Puppy repositories should work.

Non-Puppy repositories.
About 80% chance they will just work.
But as you have seen, not always.
Usually Puppy just does not have dependency stuff, needed by the software.
They may or may not make a menu entry.

menu->Setup->Check Dependencies Installed Pkg
This can tell you if a program is missing something needed to run.
However, it can be a software hunting trip, trying to find and install needed software.

ndujoe1

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jan 2020, 10:39    Post subject:  

Start over, no harm no foul. follow the advise in the previous messages.
VLC has a load of dependencies not surprised it didn't run when you tried to install it.
You will be up an running quickly again.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jan 2020, 14:44    Post subject:  

Hi cruzin,

You didn't tell us which Puppy. Always do that. Different Puppies include different "infra-structure". Applications will assume the OS they were created for includes the "infra-structure" it needs. If you can get an application built for a different OS to function AT ALL, you may have to also install the infra-structure which your specific Puppy lacks; and what is lacking may differ from one version of Puppy to another.

Puppies 'run as root/administrator". New versions of VLC can not be run as 'root'. They can, however, be setup to 'run as spot'. The search-engine bigpup suggested will lead you to the discussion and instructions on how to do that. Or open a new thread, specify which Puppy you are running, and ask for help. If its a recent Puppy, ask for help on that Puppy's thread.

Some version of file-zilla should run under your Puppy. Start here, https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?show_all=1 and download the "linux-gnu-tar.bz2" appropriate for your OS: i686 for 32-bit OSes; x86_64 for 64-bit OSes. Right-click the bz2 and select UExtract from the pop-up menu. Within the extraction folder will be another without the 'extracted' ending. Move that folder wherever you want. Within it will be a bin folder and within the bin folder a file named filezilla. Left-Click the filezilla file to start filezilla. Use the search-engine bigpup suggested to find instruction on how to create a menu entry; or just Right-click and drag the filezilla file onto your desktop and perhaps give it a nice icon.

If filezilla didn't start it may be that your Puppy is too old = lacks dependencies for it. If that's the case, again the easiest solution is to use the search-engine bigpup suggested and look for an older version which will work with your Puppy. Alternatively, you can google for older versions. AFAIK, all will run from the extracted folder as long as your system contains the dependencies/infra-structure it expects to be present in the operating system.

I know nothing about ssh.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: