Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 21 Feb 2020, 06:11
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
The Debian Buster Starter Kit (64bit)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 07 Nov 2019, 16:33    Post subject:  The Debian Buster Starter Kit (64bit)  

This is the next generation of the Stretch-Live Starter Kit from here. Get the Buster ISO here.
Code:
0c297ab7559feed7ea3e16d3a046ce13  DebLive_Buster-amd64-60.iso

Install it as usual with the stretch-live-frugal-install tool.

Most of the Stretch content extends directly to Buster, with a few modifications.

1. The links on the Stretch page point to various Stretch-specific packages. Most of these are in Fred's Buster repo via apt-get.

2. The following built-in apps in the Buster ISO should be updated immediately:
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install touchpad peasyclock sound-card-selector
#or use: apt upgrade

3a. Some of your squashfs modules may need to be rebuilt for Buster. For example, libavcodec57 is now libavcodec58.
3b. Firefox needs libavcodec58 for some streaming content.

4. If you have used repo2sfs to make browser packages like Chromium, they need rebuilding. I have posted new "guest-setup" scripts and instructions. In particular, Chromium now requires the Extra package: chromium-sandbox

5. Some locally developed packages like hplip-print-scan and evince need patches. Open a terminal and run:
Code:
cd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
ln -sf libssl.so.1.1 libssl.so.1.0.0
ln -sf libcrypto.so.1.1 libcrypto.so.1.0.0

6. Mesa accelerated graphics are already in the ISO. You just need to run: apt-get install mesa-utils

7. Buster and Stretch are both currently using the kernel 4.19.0-6-amd64. The combo package of WiFi drivers posted for Stretch should also work in Buster.

8. Some bleeding-edge computers (eMMC drives?) may have trouble booting. There are two possible fixes:
a. use the Live-boot procedure in the latest stretch-live-frugal-installer.
b. replace the Porteus boot file initrd1.xz. Ask for help.

--------------------
ras

PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2020, 21:25    Post subject: apt to sfs  

Hi rcrsn51,

I downloaded your iso and have made a frugal install. your prebuilt squashfs are very helpful, (especially the wifi firmware), as well as the laptop "essential" utilities you developed.

Where can I best learn more about the apt-to-sfs script? and its full install sister? Not sure what the difference is or it's intended usage.

thanks

dancytron

PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2020, 21:57    Post subject: Re: apt to sfs  

ras wrote:
Hi rcrsn51,

I downloaded your iso and have made a frugal install. your prebuilt squashfs are very helpful, (especially the wifi firmware), as well as the laptop "essential" utilities you developed.

Where can I best learn more about the apt-to-sfs script? and its full install sister? Not sure what the difference is or it's intended usage.

thanks

Apt2sfs takes a list of packages, downloads them with their dependencies, and then uses them to create a compressed file with those packages. That sfs file can then be loaded either at boot time or manually later and can be unloaded.

So say you don't use libreoffice all the time, but need it occasionally. You can create an sfs file of it and only load it when you actually need it and unload it when you are done.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 11 Feb 2020, 04:04    Post subject:  

@ras: If you read the Stretch Starter Kit thread, you will see that I prefer "repo2sfs" to "apt2sfs". In most situations, I find it to be the superior tool.
ras

PostPosted: Tue 11 Feb 2020, 21:56    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
@ras: If you read the Stretch Starter Kit thread, you will see that I prefer "repo2sfs" to "apt2sfs". In most situations, I find it to be the superior tool.

rcrsn51,
I seemed to have confused the two utilities when I was exploring the tools included in the Accessories sub-menu, and you have my apology for misdirecting my question. Your repo2sfs is downloaded, but I will have to look at it later as I am not near the desktop I use for testing. I have read that you use both scripts, and wish to understand what are the circumstances where you prefer one over the other?

I also am going to give your make-palemoon-squash.tar.gz a try also as it seems like the best way to update. You mentioned the need for a CleanMode setup here..............

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=981617#981617

would a frugal install with a new /changes folder suffice for the CleanMode?

Quote:
That sfs file can then be loaded either at boot time or manually later and can be unloaded.

thanx, Dan

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 11 Feb 2020, 22:17    Post subject:  

ras wrote:
I have read that you use both scripts, and wish to understand what are the circumstances where you prefer one over the other?

Experience. If one method doesn't work the way I want, I use the other.

Quote:
You mentioned the need for a CleanMode setup here

When you run the stretch-live-frugal-installer, there is a checkbox to add a GRUB entry for CleanMode. It is basically the same entry but with no "changes=" argument.
ras

PostPosted: Sun 16 Feb 2020, 22:41    Post subject:  

Hi rcrsn51,

went back and revisited the stretch-live-frugal-installer for a second time to understand why I did not fully utilize it when I first made my install.

At first it brings up a dialog that directs me to the just created file in /etc/pwf in the frugal installed puppy I was running it from. The instruction to set up my helper apps seemed to imply that I should do something further? perhaps open a terminal and set some envrionment variables in my existing puppy? Guess that didn't seem right to me at the time so moved on with out trying to use it further.

on a second look I just moved past the dialog without doing anything at all, and found the main dialog that moved the live folder and generated some menu entries.

Looks good, just wondering what edd=off is all about? I see the parameter included in the entries your script generated. It took me a while to add this on my own, and I have no idea, nor could find very little info otherwise.

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb 2020, 09:00    Post subject:  

The "helper apps" are the equivalent of Puppy commands like "defaultbrowser". To use them, you edit the file /etc/pwf/appfile and specify the apps you want.

The "edd=off" option is included because Fred's examples also have it. Some Googling will provide details. It may not be important.
ras

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb 2020, 19:33    Post subject:  

Thanks rcrsn51,
looks like /etc/pwf is specific to the dog family?

Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: