(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 24 Sep 2020, 17:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
BusterDog + build system (no-systemd)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 5 of 24 [360 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 22, 23, 24 Next
fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 21 Nov 2019, 07:45    Post subject:  

Congrats Andres !! Great that you managed your own way by using experimental repo, didn't know btw about libpam-elogind-compat in experimental.

Best regards, Fred

enrique

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov 2019, 18:33    Post subject:  

I am new in forum, but been experimenting with Puppy. I end up finding a new friend nickname wdlkmpx, while finding useful help on woolf-CE. He did ask me to come here and try this BusterDog + build system (no-systemd).

Now having a bad experience with woof-CE I decided to try the hardway Busterdog build system in particular mklive-buster. I did build on bionicpup64_8.0. To make it work I use PPM to install xorriso, needed to create the iso and I manually installed debootstrap_1.0.89-devuan2.1_all.deb. The command dpkg -i debootstrap_1.0.89-devuan2.1_all.deb failed to install. I think dpkg is not fully functional in many Puppys. But it did compiled and final product is nice and seems functional. Need to test more.

But here are my findings:
* I did miss many of the apps that show on 1rst page. I miss a few. In the other hand I may bee happier as now I can start from scratch.

* I do not like Firefox I prefer Palemoon. So I try to edit the script
Code:
BASE_APPS_INSTALL="leafpad gparted parted synaptic viewnior firefox-esr pfind conky"

It is in two places. I deleted "firefox-esr". But Firefox did finally install anyway.

* I wonder why we need the folder "live" It seems that initrd1.xz search requires live to be presents. So I end up installing it on my [sdb2/(hd1,1)]/LxPupBuster/live
Code:
title LxPupBuster (sdb2/LxPupBuster)
  find --set-root uuid () 01D26BB9765C3F00
  kernel /LxPupBuster/live/vmlinuz1 root=UUID=01D26BB9765C3F00 noauto from=/LxPupBuster/ changes=EXIT:/LxPupBuster/live/changes.dat
  initrd /LxPupBuster/live/initrd1.xz

* I try to look inside the other maklive.
Download mklive-buster:
For 32-bit: mklive-buster32
For 64-bit: mklive-buster64

But those are no scripts but in fact are executable. Why?
I guess I will have to download the pre-made iso 64 images to see what I am missing. I hate to move from Ubuntu. But I have a feeling I will be having fun with Devian. Please have my big thanks wdlkmpx who ask me to try this, and to the author of this tread fredx181 for this nice gift for the holidays. We claim holidays start tomorrow night in Black Friday.
enrique

PostPosted: Thu 28 Nov 2019, 03:47    Post subject:  

WAOOO I am impress. This build system (mklive-buster) is really a usefull. Well for a total newbe it may not be simple. But if we have the ability to understand script it is as simple as it can get. I been using this for a couple of hours. And I can build a basic system with my specs in 14 minutes.

Compare that with my experience using woof-CE. I spent a couple of days. And to be honest I could not get help in a few questions that I have.

So Answering my own questions:
*Missing apps: lxterminal. uextract, firewall-ng, resize-save-file
*Removing Firefox

This is pretty simple.
lxterminal is from debian packages
uextract, firewall-ng, resize-save-file are from https://doglinux.github.io/busterdog/amd64/

So made a copy of openbox_lx.conf and renamed & edit mybuild_setup.conf
Removed firefox-esr from BASE_APPS_INSTALL
Add lxterminal to DESK_APPS_INSTALL
Add uextract, firewall-ng, resize-save-file to EXTRA_DOG_APPS_INSTALL

And to buid is ./mklive-buster -gui mybuild_setup.conf

1rst time took about 30 minutes. But on next build it seems it uses most of the downloaded files and take only 14 minutes to build.

It still re download:
dog-boot-buster-20191026.tar.gz - 6.14M
isodata-buster.tar.gz - 158.64K
kernel-ceres-amd64.tar.gz - 90.44M
And updates the repo info.

It will be nice if we had an option not to re download those files.

In any case congratulation this project a winner for me. I only need to get custom to debian. Thanks fredx181.
fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 28 Nov 2019, 05:59    Post subject:  

Hi enrique, I'm glad that it works for you !

Quote:
* I do not like Firefox I prefer Palemoon. So I try to edit the script
Code:
BASE_APPS_INSTALL="leafpad gparted parted synaptic viewnior firefox-esr pfind conky"

I assume you mean edit the .conf file, to replace firefox with palemoon, just:
Code:
BASE_APPS_INSTALL="leafpad gparted parted synaptic viewnior palemoon pfind conky"

Quote:
* I wonder why we need the folder "live" It seems that initrd1.xz search requires live to be presents. So I end up installing it on my [sdb2/(hd1,1)]/LxPupBuster/live
Code:
find --set-root uuid () 01D26BB9765C3F00
kernel /LxPupBuster/live/vmlinuz1 root=UUID=01D26BB9765C3F00 noauto from=/LxPupBuster/ changes=EXIT:/LxPupBuster/live/changes.dat

Yes the live folder should be as is (cannot be renamed), but as you did, a parent folder with unique name works, I think that the "root=UUID=01D26BB9765C3F00" isn't necessary.

Quote:
* I try to look inside the other maklive.
Download mklive-buster:
For 32-bit: mklive-buster32
For 64-bit: mklive-buster64

But those are no scripts but in fact are executable. Why?

These appimages contain everything required, (yad xorriso dpkg debootstrap), so recommended to use from a Puppy host (from a 'Dog' host you can use the mklive-buster script).

Quote:
So made a copy of openbox_lx.conf and renamed & edit mybuild_setup.conf
Removed firefox-esr from BASE_APPS_INSTALL
Add lxterminal to DESK_APPS_INSTALL
Add uextract, firewall-ng, resize-save-file to EXTRA_DOG_APPS_INSTALL

That's good, but note that the category doesn't matter (e.g. you can add uextract to BASE_APPS_INSTALL etc...) all will be merged together at some point.
(the categories are just for convenience, to have better overview of different type packages)

Quote:
It still re download:
dog-boot-buster-20191026.tar.gz - 6.14M
isodata-buster.tar.gz - 158.64K
kernel-ceres-amd64.tar.gz - 90.44M
And updates the repo info.

It will be nice if we had an option not to re download those files.

Yes, I'll think about that, don't have much time these days.

Fred

enrique

PostPosted: Thu 28 Nov 2019, 06:48    Post subject:  

Thanks fredx181 for your responses.
fredx181 wrote:
...I think that the "root=UUID=01D26BB9765C3F00" isn't necessary

I am not an expert but I think that the "root=UUID=" is used to identify root with a disk drive UUID instead of just hdd(0,0). See if you use your Flash Drive from computer to computer, your hdd(#,#) will not match as it will depend on how many drives each PC has. That will make booting with hdd(#,#) to fail. Using find --set-root uuid () 01D26BB9765C3F00 will allow grub4dos to test each drive and assigned the correct drive. Where 01D26BB9765C3F00 is unique for every drive.

fredx181 wrote:
...These appimages contain everything required, (yad xorriso dpkg debootstrap), so recommended to use from a Puppy host (from a 'Dog' host you can use the mklive-buster script).

I seem your explanation. But as I wanted to learn with the script I did use mklive-buster script in a Puppy distribution, but having to manually include xorriso & debootstrap.

Listen I am almost new to Debian, can you tell me what is the default media player and the battery tray app. If there is none I guess I will still from Puppy.
fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 28 Nov 2019, 07:56    Post subject:  

enrique wrote:
Using find --set-root uuid () 01D26BB9765C3F00 will allow grub4dos to test each drive and assigned the correct drive

Yes, the find --set-root ... is required, but what I meant is the "root=UUID=01D26BB9765C3F00" on you kernel line that is not necessary.

Quote:
Listen I am almost new to Debian, can you tell me what is the default media player and the battery tray app. If there is none I guess I will still from Puppy
Don't know what should be called "default mediaplayer" there are a few e.g. vlc, gmplayer, look in synaptic under Multimedia.
If you're familiar with Ubuntu, Debian is not a big step IMO.
There's "batterup" (by rcrsn51) from the custom repo for battery tray app, install from synaptic or from terminal:
Code:
apt update    # if required
apt install batterup

Fred

rufwoof

PostPosted: Thu 28 Nov 2019, 09:15    Post subject:  

uuid's can change, such as if you re-arrange partitions.

Better perhaps to find a unique file, maybe something like

find --set-root /LxPupBuster/live/changes.dat

... which will set grub's root to the drive/partition containing the file /LxPupBuster/live/changes.dat

Or just create a file specifically for grub to find, perhaps on your main hdd creating a file called /mybighdd and searching for that

find --set-root /mybighdd

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
enrique

PostPosted: Thu 28 Nov 2019, 12:49    Post subject:  

There is so much to learn and to little time. Then is what we forget.

"root=UUID=01D26BB9765C3F00" on you kernel line that is not necessary. "
As I said I am no expert, just trying to do my best. Nor I want to contradict your comments. But I am in the feeling UUID are a new thing, I will expect that all kernels coming from kernel.org may used it!! I guess.

"find --set-root /LxPupBuster/live/changes.dat " Interesting, so grub4dos can look for files in order to set root drive!! See we are learning by the minute. Something I need to try. Then lots of unique files names that can be used: changes.dat, buster-x86_64.sgn or the k-4.19.0-6-amd64.squashfs, etc. They seems all unique names.... Interesting. Thanks

A new questions:

What type of file is changes.dat ?

What is the origin of boot type Porteus? I just found: www.porteus.org.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 28 Nov 2019, 13:10    Post subject:  

@enrique: I think that you are mixing Grub4Dos commands with GRUB2 commands.

To make full use of UUID's, I would use this menu.

Code:
uuid 01D26BB9765C3F00
kernel /LxPupBuster/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=UUID:01D26BB9765C3F00/LxPupBuster ... changes=EXIT:UUID:01D26BB9765C3F00/LxPupBuster/changes.dat

What filesystem is on sdb2? If it is ext, you can have a "changes" folder instead of a "changes.dat" file.
fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 28 Nov 2019, 13:35    Post subject:  

enrique wrote:
What type of file is changes.dat ?

What is the origin of boot type Porteus? I just found: www.porteus.org.

changes.dat contains an ext4 filesystem.
Origin is from Porteus, www.porteus.org, but very much modified for to work with DebianDog.

Fred

Last edited by fredx181 on Thu 28 Nov 2019, 13:37; edited 1 time in total
enrique

PostPosted: Thu 28 Nov 2019, 13:37    Post subject:  

@rcrsn51
"I think that you are mixing Grub4Dos commands with GRUB2 commands. " Possibly I have read and try somethings that I am not sure where I pick up those. But It has work under grub4dos. Now I would definitely try your way too.

@fredx181
Do we have in the mklive-buster script a way to add a local repository where I can place my own apps/debs. I know there is always the part in the script where you stop and ask us to add/modify the files.

I found sources in
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/sources/p/powerapplet_tray-2.6.tar.bz2
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/sources/n/netmon_wce-2.8.tar.bz2
And I will end up building my own debs.
fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 28 Nov 2019, 13:55    Post subject:  

enrique wrote:
Do we have in the mklive-buster script a way to add a local repository where I can place my own apps/debs. I know there is always the part in the script where you stop and ask us to add/modify the files.

Not really for to add a local repository (although in theory it's possible (to add in sources.list), but you need to know how to handle, which is rather complicated), but you can install extra custom .deb packages with dpkg, so at the prompt of:
Code:
Do you want to run Xterm just before exiting chroot ?

Say yes, and copy your .deb package(s) e.g. to the root of the buster/chroot folder, then from xterm (appeared later on, just before exiting the chroot) e,g:
Code:
dpkg -i /mydeb.deb

Fred

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 28 Nov 2019, 14:34    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Code:
dpkg -i /mydeb.deb

What happens if mydeb.deb lists dependencies in its control file?

Can you also run an "apt-get -f install" at this point?
fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 28 Nov 2019, 15:05    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
fredx181 wrote:
Code:
dpkg -i /mydeb.deb

What happens if mydeb.deb lists dependencies in its control file?

Can you also run an "apt-get -f install" at this point?

Yes good that you mention, "apt-get -f install" can run at this point and indeed it may be required to install missing dependencies after deb install.

Fred

rockedge

PostPosted: Thu 28 Nov 2019, 16:39    Post subject:  

Quote:
Or just create a file specifically for grub to find, perhaps on your main hdd creating a file called /mybighdd and searching for that

find --set-root /mybighdd

Hey rufwoof....good tip!
Page 5 of 24 [360 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 22, 23, 24 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: