BusterDog + build system (no-systemd)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
enrique

#331 Post by enrique »

fredx181
I like to use mklive-buster or even mklive-strech to make a Debiandog but without X, yes no GUI. I will like to add Midnight Commander and have Network, SSH and maybe Linx. Well I have a few more. This is just to use as Rescue or Quick Edit other Puppy while testing. See I hope to boot in less than 25 sec and no shutdown time as I do not intend to save.

Now the question. Can you help me decide what shold be the basics packages I should install. In general what do I need do that my wifi works?

Network controller: Broadcom Limited BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter

Thanks in advance.

keniv

#332 Post by keniv »

@enrique
If you do a Remaster. Then most of the installed libraries currently store at change.dat will move to 01-filesystem.squashfs. This process save space as you see.
I've never tried a remaster. The most ambitious thing I've done is to change a
kernel. I think this was because a puppy I was using would not shut down properly. I might try it but I lack confidence. Might be easier to get a bigger flash drive.

Regards,

Ken.

enrique

#333 Post by enrique »

keniv "May the Force be with you,"

You only need the force with you and ..... a little time. Well the force can be easy, but the problem is the time that consume our projects. See with enough time you can get anywhere.

Never be afraid. Only do it after you have backup everything. This means you need a good External HDD to keep your backups and make space for all the compilation.

Now be aware I am not remastering. See the Title "BusterDog + build system (no-systemd)". I want to use the bulid system to make a Busterdog Server no Gui.

fredx181

#334 Post by fredx181 »

enrique wrote:I like to use mklive-buster or even mklive-strech to make a Debiandog but without X, yes no GUI
I don't have experience with that, so cannot help really (maybe someone else can?), I'd say experiment by leaving out every GUI / X application and probably even gtk2/gtk3.
In general what do I need do that my wifi works?
I guess that would be: wireless-tools, wpasupplicant, rfkill, net-tools and the firmware of course for your wifi card.

EDIT; anyway you need to make some changes in the chroot before creating the main .squashfs, e.g. disable auto startx (remove code at the bottom of /etc/profile) and maybe more I can't think of right now.

Good luck!

EDIT: @keniv, using 'quick-remaster' is very easy and fast, it creates a backup of the main 01-filesystem.squashfs and (if chosen) creates backup of save storage.
Install latest version from synaptic or with apt.

Fred

rockedge

#335 Post by rockedge »

Hello enrique,

I have done it with a WeeDog64 built with Void Linux for running as a headless Web / ZoneMinder server. Set up with only the fundamental and minimal packages but equipped with a newer kernel version and some nifty command line tools and editors plus the parts needed to do it's main job as a Zoneminder installation.

Such an Puppy Linux distro is also possible to build by using woof-CE to it's fullest capabilities. After some experimentation and research it should be possible to configure a run of woof-CE to create close to the same type of OS but in a Puppy Linux flavor. There could be some limitations due to the concept of what a Puppy Linux is and what it was designed for and how it is built, as to how minimal one can create one. I have had great success running Puppy Linux Tahr and Xenial's headless and remotely, plus others from Lucid to Bionic (UPUP 3.9.9.2 Raring Ringtail). Although the Puppy's would run from the shell a simple xwin brought back the X desktop right away. But there is all that overhead and why carry it if it never is intended to use?

But with something like WeeDog and Void Linux one can create a plug file that will build from very basic minimal to fully loaded multi-user desktops. A Zoneminder CCTV/Network camera system doesn't really need any extra graphical servers or any application that uses one, so the operating system can have a really small footprint and yet be very powerful.

With Void one can build an OS that will boot and has a terminal and can connect to a network.

I might have an example plug file that will create a minimalist WeeDog32-Void or WeeDog64-Void that I can post as a guide or to get some ideas. It would be really great if some one took the time to write a complete HOW TO with examples on how one modifies woof-CE to create the different Puppy variations and at different levels of sophistication.

wiak

#336 Post by wiak »

Well, to be fair, rockedge, the DebianDogs, especially these scripted build system versions can also be nicely tailored to do specific tasks.

I nevertheless understand why you are particularly talking about Void Linux (rather than Arch or Debian-based systems) for specific-purpose distributions, since Void Linux has that very unique characteristic of being designed entirely around its totally independent package manager xbps. So unlike any other upstream distro I know of, Void's package manager can be used entirely standalone - it isn't like debootstrap or archbootstrap, which even at its most minimal includes a whole OS. Void Systems can begin simply with something like busybox + xbps package manager and no other dependencies required.

However, on seeing your post, it struck me that this is the BusterDog thread, and most people on here are not looking for a specially constructed one-application centred OS (useful though that is at times) and BusterDog does everything it is intended for, and fulfills that need well, in my opinion. The fact that I am currently mainly using my WeeDog Arch64 is not because I think it is better than any of the DebianDogs I otherwise spend most of my time on - if I ever get that anywhere near as polished as Fred's efforts here then I finally would deserve some compliments.

wiak

enrique

#337 Post by enrique »

fredx181 fair enough on the network. Regards what have to be left out it is not on an importance now. I am not worry about size. I only what the thing to boot up as fast as it can. Clearly less stuff it loads faster it nay be, I know.

rockedge & wiak
Yes fredx181 build system script is very simple to used. We only need to tell it what we want. And that was my question. I did not have idea on what packages are important for network. I get on the web by searching Debian

Thanks to all..

keniv

#338 Post by keniv »

fredx181 wrote:EDIT: @keniv, using 'quick-remaster' is very easy and fast, it creates a backup of the main 01-filesystem.squashfs and (if chosen) creates backup of save storage.

Fred
Hi Fred,
How big a drive would I need to try this? I have a 60GB ide HDD from an old laptop. I could easily format it to ext3 or ext4 (I'm not sure which would be best). It is connected to a USB2 adapter which I know would make it slow but I'm not too worried about how long it takes. Is this hardware good enough to give quick-remastering a try?

Regards,

Ken.

fredx181

#339 Post by fredx181 »

keniv wrote:
fredx181 wrote:EDIT: @keniv, using 'quick-remaster' is very easy and fast, it creates a backup of the main 01-filesystem.squashfs and (if chosen) creates backup of save storage.

Fred
Hi Fred,
How big a drive would I need to try this? I have a 60GB ide HDD from an old laptop. I could easily format it to ext3 or ext4 (I'm not sure which would be best). It is connected to a USB2 adapter which I know would make it slow but I'm not too worried about how long it takes. Is this hardware good enough to give quick-remastering a try?

Regards,

Ken.
Hi keniv, quick-remaster doesn't copy the filesystem first, so it doesn't take much space (compared to a remaster program that does copy first), how big depends on if you choose to make a backup of your save file and the type of compression used to create remaster, but I think, let's say 3GB + 3GB (savefile + backup) = 6GB and then the remastered 01-filesystem.squashsfs + backup, total space not more than 10GB required. (much less if you use XZ compression)

I just did a remaster, here's a animated gif demo, as you can see, it goes very fast, I used LZ4 compression, it creates a bigger file than e.g. XZ or GZ . At the end it shows that backup files 01-filesystem.squashfs.bak and changes.dat.bak are created in "live"
Make sure to have installed the latest quick-remaster (v1.2.2)
EDIT: I did it on a SSD hard drive, on USB it will certainly be slower.

Fred

Terry H

#340 Post by Terry H »

Hi Fred,
Just looking for some clarification. I was looking through Synaptic today and noticed a newer 4.19.0-9-amd64 kernel and also newer firefox 68.9.0esr, so decided it was worth doing a new build of Busterdog64. I downloaded the latest version of mklive-buster64. The build was without issue. On checking, the new build has kernel 4.19.0-8-amd64, which I thought would have included the newer version. Once installed as a new frugal install using porteus boot, all is running without issue. The original build I did had 4.19.0.6-amd64, then a later build had 4.19.0-8, so was expecting this build to have the newer version.

Looking through Synaptic I notice that there are no linux-image* packages highlighted as being installed. I assume that this is because the modules are contained in a squashfs. Can a new linux-image be installed using Synaptic? The Kernelmodules.sqquashfs?

Thanks in advance.

Terry

fredx181

#341 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Terry
I downloaded the latest version of mklive-buster64. The build was without issue. On checking, the new build has kernel 4.19.0-8-amd64, which I thought would have included the newer version
Ah yes, it's one version behind latest, it depends on how often I update the kernel-ceres-amd64.tar.gz (at https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive), will do soon.
In the meantime, if you want to (anytime) upgrade to latest kernel, you can use (from menu) > System > Upgrade/Install kernel, it will build the necessary files to replace in the "live' folder, choose: linux-image-4.19.0-9-amd64-unsigned (at this time)
Looking through Synaptic I notice that there are no linux-image* packages highlighted as being installed. I assume that this is because the modules are contained in a squashfs. Can a new linux-image be installed using Synaptic? The Kernelmodules.sqquashfs?

That's right, not registered as installed because it's separate kernel .squashfs, installing through synaptic has no effect (needs to be upgraded to newer kernel .squashfs (and newer initrd1.xz and vmlinuz1) in the 'live' folder), so as I wrote above, use "Upgrade/Install kernel" from menu for that.

EDIT: didn't realize earlier that when making a build, "Upgrade/Install kernel" may not be in the menu, therefore install "upgrade-kernel" package using synaptic or apt.

Fred

Terry H

#342 Post by Terry H »

Thanks Fred,

I was running busterdog64 openbox/lxpanel, I thought there was a kernel update utility. I looked through the menu and coudln't find it. I checked again after reading your post and don't have an entry in my menu in this install. Strange.

I just logged into another install that has openbox/tint2 and it does have the kernel utility in the menu. Just running the utility now, so will see how it goes.

Edit: Kernel utility ran successfully, swapped it into the new build and all working fine.

Thanks Fred for this work on the 'dogs.

Edit 2: Just saw your edit after I posted. ;)

And another Edit: The openbox/tint2 install was from an .iso image, which is why it has the utility.

keniv

#343 Post by keniv »

fredx181 wrote:Hi keniv, quick-remaster doesn't copy the filesystem first, so it doesn't take much space (compared to a remaster program that does copy first), how big depends on if you choose to make a backup of your save file and the type of compression used to create remaster, but I think, let's say 3GB + 3GB (savefile + backup) = 6GB and then the remastered 01-filesystem.squashsfs + backup, total space not more than 10GB required. (much less if you use XZ compression)

I just did a remaster, here's a animated gif demo, as you can see, it goes very fast, I used LZ4 compression, it creates a bigger file than e.g. XZ or GZ . At the end it shows that backup files 01-filesystem.squashfs.bak and changes.dat.bak are created in "live"
Make sure to have installed the latest quick-remaster (v1.2.2)
EDIT: I did it on a SSD hard drive, on USB it will certainly be slower.
Fred
Hi Fred, Thanks for your reply and the animated gif showing how a quick-remaster is done. I found my my small laptop ide drive was not 60GB but 40GB. I made two partitions, one about 10GB and the second about 26GB. The first I formatted as ntfs and copied the frugal install of BusterDog, I had on a 4GB USB drive, to that partition. I then ran grub4dos, edited menu.lst, then checked that it booted and ran as it did on the USB drive. I updated using synaptic then checked to see that I had v1.2.2 of quick-remaster. The second partition I formatted as ext3. I then attempted to run quick-remaster. The images below shows the quick remaster GUI settings and the output I got. The quick-remaster GUI image shows the version as 1.2.1 but synaptic shows 1.2.2 installed. Could this failure be down to a quick-remaster version issue?

Regards,

Ken.
Attachments
quick-remaster2.png
(28.96 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
quick-remaster1.png
(181.15 KiB) Downloaded 128 times

fredx181

#344 Post by fredx181 »

Hi keniv, sorry, my bad, it's a bug, in some cases the mountpoint is different, e.g it searches in /mnt/sda1/291219bustdog/live and probably the mountpoint of your live folder is /mnt/live/mnt/sda1/291219bustdog/live, so it cannot find 01-filesystem.squashfs
I will fix soon and announce v1.2.3 , no it's not because of quick-remaster version (it shows wrong in the GUI, in reality it is v1.2.2, will fix that too).

Fred

keniv

#345 Post by keniv »

Thanks for the explanation Fred. As usual, when things don't work, I thought it was something I'd done wrong so I'm glad to know it wasn't me. I'll try it again when quick-remaster gets to v 1.2.3.

Regards,

Ken.

marcelocripe

Re: BusterDog + build system (no-systemd)

#346 Post by marcelocripe »

fredx181 wrote:*** BusterDog + build system *** (updated 2019-12-29)

See Here for a Buster-Live build system.

Based on the Debian 'Buster' branch but without systemd.
It's using special method (taken from AntiX) to avoid systemd by replacing systemd with 'elogind'.
(and some more, e.g. libsystemd replaced by libelogind), more background info Here

EDIT: For how to boot BusterDog with systemd, see here:http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 71#1041071

Download: 32 and 64 bit ISO's (updated 2019-12-29), see Here, boot options (grub4dos): Examples-boot-codes.txt

DEVX and Firmware squashfs modules: Here

Custom repository: 32-bit 64-bit

Login details:
root with password root
puppy with password puppy

Specifications:
Built from scratch by using debootstrap and remastered afterwards.
Kernel: 4.19.0-6 (the kernel is separate module)
Choice of Boot Methods: porteus-boot and live-boot v3 (see for options: Examples-boot-codes.txt)
(EDIT: See post #4 for how to boot with older kernel 3.16 if possibly your hardware is too old for booting v4.19)
Default WM - OpenBox, with Desktop choices (run ‘Desktop Manager’ to choose):
- Tint2 panels
- PcmanFM providing the Desktop and lxpanel
- Tint2 bottom panel and rox-pinboard providing the Desktop
Option to switch to JWM window-manager
Default File Manager - PcmanFM with option to use rox.
Default Internet Browser - Palemoon.
See info and links about possible Palemoon issues (on some machines with Intel graphics) here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 71#1018771

Thanks very much to everyone who has been involved with DebianDog, specially Toni (saintless), William (mcewanw), Terry (sunburnt), dancytron, belham2, rcrsn51, wiak, jd7654, backi, AndresC2, peebee and all who helped by giving feedback on the DebianDog threads.

Screenshots:

Openbox tint2 panels
Openbox with PcmanFM and lxpanel:
JWM
Hello fredx181 and colleagues from the forum,

I searched for information on https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/, https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/zz03busterdog.html, http://wikka.puppylinux.com/DebianDog, http: // murga-linux.com/ and I did not find the doubts answered.

1 - What is the minimum hardware specification (Processor and RAM) and what is recommended for running BusterDog in graphical mode (this information is not available on the website)?

2 - The operating system contained in the ISOs (https://github.com/DebianDog/BusterDog/ ... ild-system) are translated into Portuguese from Portugal or Portuguese from Brazil (this information does not available on the website)?

3 - I haven't found information about which programs are available in the ISOs BusterDog-openbox_jwm-2019-12-29_32-bit.iso and BusterDog-openbox_jwm-2019-12-29_64-bit.iso?

4 - Yesterday I tried to download the ISOs using a download manager, but both failed with about 95% of the download.

The main objective is to reuse donated or discarded computers / notebooks that have about 512MB up to 2 GB of RAM with DDR1 or DDR2 technology and Intel processors: Pentium 4, Celeron, Atom and AMD processors: Athlon, Duron and etc.

I already thank anyone who can help me answering my questions.

marcelocripe

Original text in Brazilian Portuguese, translated into English by Google translator.

----------------

Fred

Olá fredx181 e colegas do fórum,

Eu procurei informações nos sites https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/, https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/zz03busterdog.html, http://wikka.puppylinux.com/DebianDog, http://murga-linux.com/ e não encontrei repostas as minhas dúvidas.

1 - Qual é a especificação mínima de hardware (Processador e Memória RAM) e qual é a recomendada para rodar o BusterDog em modo gráfico (esta informação não está disponível no site)?

2 - O sistema operacional contido nas ISOs (https://github.com/DebianDog/BusterDog/ ... ild-system) possuem tradução para português de Portugal ou português do Brasil (esta informação não está disponível no site)?

3 - Não encontrei também informações sobre quais programas estão disponíveis nas ISOs BusterDog-openbox_jwm-2019-12-29_32-bit.iso e BusterDog-openbox_jwm-2019-12-29_64-bit.iso?

4 - Ontem eu tentei fazer o download das ISOs utilizando um gerenciador de download, mas ambas falharam com cerca de 95% do download.

O principal objetivo é de reutilizar computadores / notebook doados ou descartados que possuem cerca de 512MB até 2 GB de memória RAM com tecnologia DDR1 ou DDR2 e processadores Intel: Pentium 4, Celeron, Atom e processadores AMD: Athlon, Duron e etc.

Desde já agradeço a quem puder me ajudar respondendo as minhas dúvidas.

marcelocripe

Texto original em idioma português do Brasil, traduzido para o inglês por Google tradutor.

fredx181

#347 Post by fredx181 »

*** Updated packages ***

- quick-remaster v1.2.3, changes:
-- should be fixed now that in some cases the path to the frugal install "live" folder wasn't correct and therefore not found.
-- added check for failure of remastering and/or backing up save storage due to e.g. not enough disk space, gives a message then and exits.
@keniv, if you tested this and it succeeded, can you tell me briefly what you did, and how much disk space it took for you (there weren't many test reports in the past, so I'm just curious)

From rcrsn51:
- PeasyPDF
and
- PeasyScan

Install with synaptic or apt
@marcelocripe, I will reply to you later

Fred

fredx181

#348 Post by fredx181 »

Hi marcelocripe
1 - What is the minimum hardware specification (Processor and RAM) and what is recommended for running BusterDog in graphical mode (this information is not available on the website)?
It should run with 512MB RAM, but depends of course on what type of programs you run and how many at the same time, about processor minimum I'm not sure, it runs fine on my laptop with 2.10GHz
2 - The operating system contained in the ISOs (https://github.com/DebianDog/BusterDog/ ... ild-system) are translated into Portuguese from Portugal or Portuguese from Brazil (this information does not available on the website)?
No, it's in english, however you can run from menu > System > Set locale/language and choose Portugese/Brazilian, but the translation won't be complete as many custom programs are not translated (english only).
3 - I haven't found information about which programs are available in the ISOs BusterDog-openbox_jwm-2019-12-29_32-bit.iso and BusterDog-openbox_jwm-2019-12-29_64-bit.iso?
Too many to name here, mostly small applications, (e.g. no office suite), multimedia: mpv and mplayer, internet: palemoon, graphics: mtpaint, peasyglue, peasyscale and some others, and sfs module tools, remaster tools and package-manager of course (synaptic, apt)
4 - Yesterday I tried to download the ISOs using a download manager, but both failed with about 95% of the download.
That's a pity, maybe try another way, for me it works OK downloading directly with Palemoon or Firefox.
The main objective is to reuse donated or discarded computers / notebooks that have about 512MB up to 2 GB of RAM with DDR1 or DDR2 technology and Intel processors: Pentium 4, Celeron, Atom and AMD processors: Athlon, Duron and etc.
Should run fine, it's lightweight, probably best to have a swap partition.

Fred

marcelocripe

#349 Post by marcelocripe »

fredx181,

Thank you very much for answering my questions.

The team of developers could try to include the need to include this basic information on the website.

New Linux distribution users, like me, can give up using BusterDog due to lack of basic information, which is very bad. Can you imagine the frustration of a new user after downloading the ISO and failing to complete the installation due to the minimum hardware requirements (Processor and RAM) not being met by the computer / notebook for installing the BusterDog in graphical mode?

Thank you.

marcelocripe

Original text in Brazilian Portuguese, translated into English by Google translator.

-----------

fredx181,

Muito obrigado por responder as minhas dúvidas.

A equipe de desenvolvedores poderiam se a tentarem a necessidade de incluir estas informações básicas no site.

Novos usuários de distribuição Linux, iguais a mim, podem desistir de utilizar o BusterDog devido a falta de informações básicas, o que é muito ruim. Imagina a frustação de um novos usuário após baixar a ISO e não conseguir concluir a instalação devido aos requisitos mínimos de hardware (Processador e RAM) não serem atendidos pelo computador/notebook para a instalação do BusterDog no modo gráfico?

Muito Obrigado.

marcelocripe

Texto original em idioma português do Brasil, traduzido para o inglês por Google tradutor.

fredx181

#350 Post by fredx181 »

Added to repository: Master PDF Editor v4.3.61 (older "free" version with much less restrictions than the latest)
I've made .deb packages (64 and 32 bit) from the sfs's shared Here , thanks festus!

Install "master-pdf-editor" with synaptic or apt

EDIT: @marcelocripe
The team of developers could try to include the need to include this basic information on the website.

New Linux distribution users, like me, can give up using BusterDog due to lack of basic information, which is very bad. Can you imagine the frustration of a new user after downloading the ISO and failing to complete the installation due to the minimum hardware requirements (Processor and RAM) not being met by the computer / notebook for installing the BusterDog in graphical mode?
Well, there is not really a "team" and I find it hard to determine what to call minimum requirements, as I said, because it all depends on what you do.

Fred