Matala

Mouse coursor

#286 Post by Matala »

Yes.
I used exactly that,
but all the time no luck.
To have the black cursor back it's enough
even to change the size from let say
18 to 19 and the black thema comes back.
Thanks for trying to help me.
I found something similar to my problem here.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 038#972038

fredx181

#287 Post by fredx181 »

Mmmm... yes, now had same problem too after installing oxygen cursor theme and testing some more.
I think the problem is the /root/.icons/default folder, deleting it solved it for me (probably shouldn't be there), can you try that ?
(btw, changing cursor size for the aero theme doesn't work, adwaita is ok)

Fred

Matala

Mouse coursor

#288 Post by Matala »

Unfortunately for me still didn't work.
I will try with completely pristine system and will make another try.

fredx181

Re: Mouse coursor

#289 Post by fredx181 »

Matala wrote:Unfortunately for me still didn't work.
I will try with completely pristine system and will make another try.
Did some more testing and, although not 100% sure, I think the problem is because of that XFCE has its own settings in /root/.config/xfce4 and doesn't change the settings in /root/.gtkrc-2.0
So changing to Adwaita in /root/.gtkrc-2.0 should make it persist:

Code: Select all

gtk-cursor-theme-name="Adwaita"
Or maybe better just remove /root/.gtkrc-2.0 , then it cannot override any XFCE settings.

Fred

Matala

Cursor theme

#290 Post by Matala »

Hi again.
The only way that half worked for me was to delete

/root/.icons/aero
/root/.icons/default

then after exit x" adwaita" doesn't change,
but returns back to default size.
May be that will help you in some way.

fredx181

Re: Cursor theme

#291 Post by fredx181 »

Matala wrote:Hi again.
The only way that half worked for me was to delete

/root/.icons/aero
/root/.icons/default

then after exit x" adwaita" doesn't change,
but returns back to default size.
May be that will help you in some way.
It's a bit of a mystery, but I still think deleting /root/.gtkrc-2.0 will fix the whole issue, did you try that?
(it sort of "confuses" XFCE)

Fred

Matala

Cursor

#292 Post by Matala »

Yes i tried with no luck.
It is a mystery and complicated.
I am surprised that too but could
live with that. :)
May be the reason is too deep and if we try hard
to resolve it will get worse.

fredx181

#293 Post by fredx181 »

For who is interested to try, latest kernel from sid, v5.6.0-1
32-bit pae:
https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/ke ... pae.tar.gz
64-bit:
https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/ke ... d64.tar.gz

Fred

rcrsn51

#294 Post by rcrsn51 »

I upgraded a Buster64 Starter Kit install to this k5.6.0 kernel along with the latest Palemoon v28.9.2. It looks good so far.

mfb

Test Report - ask Fred - re other breeds from this kennel

#295 Post by mfb »

The second snap below shows the actual sizes from a Desktop with a wide screen. On reflection - magnification might be simpler.

PS Remastering is masterly - you can just click and go,
My apology - the File name in yellow on red below - should read ".conkyrc-port". Also, in both the original and in the attached file - the MEM line needs an "iB" amendment to "B" to eliminate the double "ii" shown in both shots.
Attachments
security cleared.jpg
(106.83 KiB) Downloaded 396 times
was2is.jpg
(99.79 KiB) Downloaded 396 times
.conkyrc-port.gz
has fake .gz extention
(3.11 KiB) Downloaded 90 times

fredx181

quick-remaster

#296 Post by fredx181 »

Some changes for the "quick-remaster" program:

- v1.1.9, added mksquashfs zstd compression option. It is just as fast as lz4, but results in smaller file size.

- v1.2.0, added zstd option too, and very different method used now, previous versions were rather complex, (e.g. using mount bind, aufs overlay, temp folders etc...) and a forced reboot was required.
This works rather simple, basically by just "mksquashfs / 01-filesystem.squashfs" with added exclusions (for cleaning e.g. man and doc, log and cache files) and doesn't force a reboot (prompt yes/no to reboot when remaster is ready)

Install quick-remaster with synaptic or apt from terminal.

Fred

dancytron

Re: quick-remaster

#297 Post by dancytron »

fredx181 wrote:Some changes for the "quick-remaster" program:

- v1.1.9, added mksquashfs zstd compression option. It is just as fast as lz4, but results in smaller file size.

- v1.2.0, added zstd option too, and very different method used now, previous versions were rather complex, (e.g. using mount bind, aufs overlay, temp folders etc...) and a forced reboot was required.
This works rather simple, basically by just "mksquashfs / 01-filesystem.squashfs" with added exclusions (for cleaning e.g. man and doc, log and cache files) and doesn't force a reboot (prompt yes/no to reboot when remaster is ready)

Fred
I just ran the new update on stretch.

How do I create the new 01-filesystem without the other .squashfs files included?

Dan

fredx181

Re: quick-remaster

#298 Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote:
fredx181 wrote:Some changes for the "quick-remaster" program:

Fred
I just ran the new update on stretch.

How do I create the new 01-filesystem without the other .squashfs files included?

Dan
Sorry, that's the downside of this new method, you can't (except the kernel .squashfs, it will not be merged) (only possible to disable loading the others by renaming to .bak in the live folder)
Install v1.1.9 if that's an important option:

apt install quick-remaster=1.1.9
(but I'll think about how to exclude the others with this new method, won't be easy...)

Fred

dancytron

#299 Post by dancytron »

For now, I'll just make unloading and renaming the 3 sfs's I use a part of the pre-remaster preparation and reconsider if I really need to be loading office and spotify every time any way.

edit: Does just unloading/deactivating the *.squashfs file keep it out of the remaster, or do you have to rename it too? If you are just copying directly from / then just deactivating should do it?

fredx181

#300 Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote:edit: Does just unloading/deactivating the *.squashfs file keep it out of the remaster, or do you have to rename it too? If you are just copying directly from / then just deactivating should do it?
Yes, unloading/deactivating before remastering will keep them it out of 01-filesystem.squashfs, no renaming needed.
If not unloading, merging the extra modules in the remaster, then I'd recommend renaming them (otherwise makes no sense loading at boot).
I may change the GUI adding info about this.

The older version is still OK to use, I just didn't like the complexity of it (with the chance of unmounting fails and therefore had to make as workaround a forced reboot after done)

Fred

dancytron

#301 Post by dancytron »

That seems a perfectly logical way for it to work, just a reminder that if they don't want a squashfs in the remaster, then they need to unload it would be good probably.

edit:Just did a test remaster. With sfs files deactivated, exact result I wanted. Worked fine in all other respects.

fredx181

#302 Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote:That seems a perfectly logical way for it to work, just a reminder that if they don't want a squashfs in the remaster, then they need to unload it would be good probably.
Yes, seem logical to me too, v1.2.1 is up, added info to the GUI (also for Stretch but without zstd compression option)

Fred

trister

#303 Post by trister »

Hello,
I made the move to busterdog and so far I'm quite happy.
I moved everything I use to buster from stretch.

I have an issue. I'll write a short explanation in case its obvious to you and then I'll try to upload is as a video .

I have installed with the script and selected the DDog version (openbox with whisker menu & jwm)

System boots okand reaches Slim login manager.
I log in with slim and Desktop starts (openbox).
Everything shows (seems) ok. /root/Startup/ scripts starts to load conky shows and also network_tray.sh (without getting and IP yet) .
At this point /mnt/home mount is NOT created yet.
Now, screen goes black and it seems that desktop is loaded a second time.
All /root/Startup scripts seem to run a second time. The "old desktop" is hidden but the programs I had time to start are still executed (I can see them if I run htop).
at some point /mnt/home is created.After the second time the desktop loads then it starts a double request for an IP from the router.

From now on the (second)desktop seems to work without issues. Sometime I run a program eg Skype and the tray is not visible in the down-right tray

Any ideas or how do I find what causes this?

I am attaching the initial config of the busterdog script I run
Attachments
build_setup_v05b.conf__remove_zip_extension.zip
(4.87 KiB) Downloaded 107 times

fredx181

#304 Post by fredx181 »

Hi trister, good that you attached the build.conf, I can try the exact build later and see what's causing the problem.
But on first glance I *think* (part of) the problem is with slim and the default autologin.
So try to disable autologin so that slim becomes default for logging in:

cp -af /etc/inittab-noauto /etc/inittab
And see how it goes after rebooting.

Fred

fredx181

#305 Post by fredx181 »

Hello again trister,

Tried to replicate your build now. Turns out that I made a few mistakes, the mklive-buster script should disable autologin and it does (so that slim gets the default) but was overridden by later extracting the extra .squashfs module (modules-buster/ddog/zz_openbox_xfce-jwm.squashfs).
I fixed it by changing the module, so if you would build again it should be ok.
But you could also fix manually yourself inside the system:
- disable autologin from /etc/inittab

cp -af /etc/inittab-noauto /etc/inittab
- the file '/etc/X11/default-display-manager' should contain (if it doesn't edit it):

/usr/bin/slim
Another small mistake :oops: is that conky probably shows "Sidog" instead of "Busterdog" (experimented with Sid and forgot to change back), fixed also now, but you may want to edit ~/.conkyrc-port and change to:

${color grey}BusterDog $nodename on $machine
second line under "TEXT"

The problem with /mnt/home and system tray you described I could not reproduce.

EDIT: I see that Falkon doesn't run as root, so:

run-as-user falkon

Fred