Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 06 Dec 2019, 08:03
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Utilities
nicOS-Save2SFS - Saves system changes
Page 2 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
nic007

PostPosted: Sat 09 Nov 2019, 17:14    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
What affect on RAM usage does this setup have?
If everything is going to be in adrv, ydrv, zdrv, etc......
Those all get loaded into RAM.
A normal save file/folder just gets loaded into the working file system.
Becomes the location to read and write changes.

Puppy loads the base sfs, adrv, ydrv and zdtv into RAM by default, IF you have enough RAM. I bypass this behaviour (even though I have enough RAM) by specifying pfix=nocopy in menu.lst. In the latter case, the adrv and ydrv should have minimum effect on RAM because only the essential files (which are basically all in the original base sfs) will be needed to boot Puppy. Your adrv and ydrv created with this setup will generally contain things like installed pet packages (not essential for bootup) and some small configuration files.
nic007

PostPosted: Fri 15 Nov 2019, 08:44    Post subject:  

Another very easy and safe way to get rid of your big savefile: Boot in RAM (without your savefile) > click on your savefile to mount it > select all items in the savefile and right-click on any of the items > select Open With from the menu and then Packit (Packit should be a standard utility in all newer puppy's) > Choose to mksquashfs, the location where you want to save to (where your puppy files are), name output sfs as ydrv (the name your ydrv should be eg: ydrv_tahr_6.0.5) > your ydrv will then be created > unmount the savefile and rename it to something like 1savefile.. > reboot (choose not to create a savefile at shutdown screen).
If everything looks right after the reboot, you can delete the old savefile. At the end of your session you can then select to create a new savefile if you want to. This method could also be used as alternative to making a "remaster" for use on the same machine.
belham2

PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov 2019, 14:20    Post subject:  

Hi Nic,

Just wanted to give positive & appreciative feedback on your Save2SFS.

I've used it jrb's Precise 5.7.2 I set up on a USB stick today (I had to gave up on Racy-5.5, there's some bug with Racy and USB mounting that I am unable to overcome).

Anyhow, Save2SFS worked well in Precise 5.7.2 and allowed me to get rid of the savefile out of the frugal folder & delete it for good. Easiest way I've seen so far to literally be able to boot as RAM and have your previous savefile loaded since it is now a ydrv file.

Thanks much!
nic007

PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov 2019, 14:38    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
Hi Nic,

Just wanted to give positive & appreciative feedback on your Save2SFS.

I've used it jrb's Precise 5.7.2 I set up on a USB stick today (I had to gave up on Racy-5.5, there's some bug with Racy and USB mounting that I am unable to overcome).

Anyhow, Save2SFS worked well in Precise 5.7.2 and allowed me to get rid of the savefile out of the frugal folder & delete it for good. Easiest way I've seen so far to literally be able to boot as RAM and have your previous savefile loaded since it is now a ydrv file.

Thanks much!

You're welcome. BTW - Did you consider to use Tahr's kernel with Racy? Anyways - Precise is a better base to work from, more scope for expansion.
belham2

PostPosted: Sat 23 Nov 2019, 03:38    Post subject:  

Hi Nic,

Sorry I didn't get back to you. No, I completely gave up on Racy, as I had forgotten the troubles I had with it long ago. As you said, Precise is a much better base to work off of, and besides, JRB has made a nifty up-to-date version of Precise (5.7.2).

I have one question about Save2SFS:

Is there any way (YAD perhaps?) a popup box can happen between when you first click the 'save2sfs.script' and until the time it finally pops up the box showing the the progress of making the new ydrv,squashfs file?

On some of my old, uber-slow computers/laptops, it can take 60-120 secs between the time of clicking the save2fs.script and the ydrv.squashfs progress popup.

Is there a popup that could say "hey, save2fs is checking the system, hold your horses before doing anything else"? or something along those lines? Wink
nic007

PostPosted: Sat 23 Nov 2019, 05:44    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
Hi Nic,

Sorry I didn't get back to you. No, I completely gave up on Racy, as I had forgotten the troubles I had with it long ago. As you said, Precise is a much better base to work off of, and besides, JRB has made a nifty up-to-date version of Precise (5.7.2).

I have one question about Save2SFS:

Is there any way (YAD perhaps?) a popup box can happen between when you first click the 'save2sfs.script' and until the time it finally pops up the box showing the the progress of making the new ydrv,squashfs file?

On some of my old, uber-slow computers/laptops, it can take 60-120 secs between the time of clicking the save2fs.script and the ydrv.squashfs progress popup.

Is there a popup that could say "hey, save2fs is checking the system, hold your horses before doing anything else"? or something along those lines? Wink

Well, it depends on the size of the files that needs to be copied over. How about just adding a note to the second dialog box. In fact, I've done so and replaced the script in the first post. Cheers.

Additional - Attached to this post is a modified script with additional rxvt popup boxes for the copy stage. I'm not releasing this one as official release because the size of some adrv's/ydrv's to be created may be so small that these additional boxes will be superfluous...but for you belham2 and others who may want it.

Edit: Final version attached to first post

Last edited by nic007 on Sun 24 Nov 2019, 22:44; edited 4 times in total
mfb

PostPosted: Sat 23 Nov 2019, 06:32    Post subject:  

Here is a faster version (entirely based upon the good works from nic007), but you need to rejig the end of Line 7 to suit your chosen location of the particular sfs files - including the ydrv and its precise Pup name.

FURTHER to nic007's comment on the deletion limitation, similarly moving and/or renaming any directory or file also needs manual corrective action.
mk.ydrv.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   33.94 KB
 Viewed   218 Time(s)

mk.ydrv.jpg

make_ydrv.gz
Description  after any download delete fake .gz, amend Line 7 and make executable.
gz

Download 
Filename  make_ydrv.gz 
Filesize  330 Bytes 
Downloaded  7 Time(s) 
nic007

PostPosted: Sat 23 Nov 2019, 14:36    Post subject:  

Whilst making a small update to the script, I discovered a few errors in the original script. Please download the new one attached to the first post.

Also: See here for an unofficial version: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1042502#1042502
nic007

PostPosted: Sun 24 Nov 2019, 22:54    Post subject:  

I've decided to include the additional popup screen as progress indicator for the copying phase of the operation in the official final release of this application. Also made some final touches to streamline the process. Attached to first post, this replaces all previous.
Page 2 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Utilities
Jump to: