How to remaster linux on NTFS or FAT formatted partition

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
stemsee

How to remaster linux on NTFS or FAT formatted partition

#1 Post by stemsee »

If you don't have enough ram or linux partition space then this How To may be a useful solution.

Here's how I did it.

1) create a directory on /mnt/remaster
2) create a linux formatted savefile on windows partition /mnt/sda1/remaster.4fs (use mksavefile script). On FAT32 (upto 4GB file size limit)
3) mount -rw remaster.4fs on /mnt/remaster
4) start your preferred remaster program
5) select /mnt/remaster as your remastering partition.
6) when finished install/copy your remaster.iso as you do.

This is also a way to utilise your windows partition space to store linux directories with links etc. Better not use system savefile. But a full install in the /mnt/remaster partition could be used as a chroot linux...like a container in some regards.

Works perfectly with fatdog remaster.

regards
stemsee
Attachments
xscreenshot-20191023T132302.png
(14.4 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
xscreenshot-20191023T132319.png
(34.04 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
xscreenshot-20191023T132338.png
(42.56 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
xscreenshot-20191023T132548.png
(22.37 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
Last edited by stemsee on Wed 23 Oct 2019, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.

nic007

#2 Post by nic007 »

As a matter of interest - The builtin remaster script actually gives you options to use ANY partition (including non-linux) or RAM for your remaster. The way it works, is that contents under / (except notably /root, /etc, /var) are copied and squashed to the partition of your choice and ONLY /root, /etc and /var are copied to a temp file of the running file system for possible user editing if so chosen. So you only need space in the running file system for the latter three folders unless you use the RAM option in which case the whole operation, including the resulting remaster sfs will reside in RAM. For example, I chose to remaster my tahr system. I chose my ntfs partition for the resulting remastered files. In this case the whole operation only occupied about 40MB of my RAM which was the content of /root, /etc and /var as mentioned. If I had a savefile the save space would have been occupied with that amount of 40MB. After /root. /etc and /var are dealt with, those directories are appended to the already squashed remastered base sfs. You also do not need a linux partition to create an sfs file.

stemsee

#3 Post by stemsee »

Hi nic007

given that most puppies are small enough anyway, ram is a good option. The other options you mentioned I wasn't aware of ... :? they are not available on dogs I suspect .

This is yet another option for anyone whose basesfs is truly massive like some of my creations.

stemsee

nic007

#4 Post by nic007 »

Yes, it was just a mention from my side. I think I should refine my remasterscript which is based on the builtin puppy script so that it is totally independent from the running filesystem (as far as space is concerned) when you choose another partition like a non-linux partition for the operation. :)