Up-dated Calibre

Booting, installing, newbie
Fishy

Up-dated Calibre

#1 Post by Fishy »

Updated Calibre as usual but now it says QT version missing. So many different qt listing, colour me confused. Wget for the linux version of Calibre has worked great for years. Quick pet inTahr64 CE does install latest version but it has QT flaw as well.

Help please

Makoto

#2 Post by Makoto »

Calibre 4.0 and later requires different/updated dependencies (it stops using Qt WebKit in favor of Qt WebEngine, for example: calibre - New in calibre 4.0). I haven't seen a comprehensive list of the requirements yet, unfortunately.

You may want to backtrack to the most recent version of Calibre 3 (3.48.0) until someone can determine exactly what needs to be updated and either update those dependencies, or release a package for Calibre 4.

Previous calibre releases (3.x)

Edit: Calibre 4 appears to not like running as root, which may well be the actual problem. I had v4.1.0 installed on my XenialPup setup, before, but reverted to 3.48.0 when it didn't work. I extracted it in a separate directory just now, so I could copy the errors that pop up when I try to run it...

calibre (main binary): Pops this error message first:

Code: Select all

QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/initrd/mnt/tmpfs/tmp/runtime-root'
...but proceeds to run calibre's first-time setup. Once that's done and you finish, however, it exited with a segfault.

ebook-viewer: Gives the same error as above, but with an additional complaint about running as root:

QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/initrd/mnt/tmpfs/tmp/runtime-root'
[(numbers edited out just in case):ERROR:zygote_host_impl_linux.cc(89)] Running as root without --no-sandbox is not supported. See https://crbug.com/638180.
The last time, I tried adding --no-sandbox to the ebook-viewer commandline, but the binary then claims there's no such option. :?
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have Calibre 4.1.0 running here under Stretch-Live.

williams2

#4 Post by williams2 »

In BionicPup64 8.0
calibre seems to run if started like this:

sudo run-as-spot calibre
see:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117087
One problem is that spot can not access files (ebooks) in /mnt/home/

And spot can not access ebooks or configuration files in /root or belonging to root.