Vivaldi-portable

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
jrb

Vivaldi-portable

#1 Post by jrb »

Call me highbrow but I like Vivaldi, music and browser. :D

I'm currently posting from it in Bionic32-light.

Of course I wanted something that wouldn't suck up too much of the resources on my old computers so here's what I did:
  • 1) I downloaded peebee's vivaldi_2.8.1664.35-1_lxsc_spot.sfs. UExtracted the SFS and copied the /opt/vivaldi folder to my /initrd/mnt/dev_save (home) drive.

2) I grabbed the vivaldi-pup script from his vivaldi-2.3.1440.61-i386.sfs and placed it in the /home/vivaldi folder. (modified version included below so you don't have to go looking for it)

3) Renamed the script to vivaldi-launch and modified it to:
    A) save it's profile in the vivaldi folder on the home drive
    B) save it's Cache in /tmp so it is deleted on shutdown.

4) Linked the launch script to the desktop and gave it a try. (Afterwards I got fancy and set it up as the defaultbrowser but I won't complicate the explanation here)
Once you extract (UExtract) the attached script you will have to right-click on it and go to Permissions->Yes to make it executable.

I've tried it in Bionic-light, Bionic32 full, Busterpup, Xenialpup, Stretchpup. Works well in all so far. (I even set up versions of Precise-light and Tahr-605 to run it but that's another story.)

Mind you, this is running without sandbox which is allegedly less secure. I figure deleting the Cache at every computer shutdown helps a bit with that.

Give it a try if you like and let me know what happens.

Disclaimer: User accepts all responsibility for whatever. :roll:
Attachments
vivaldi-launch.gz
Portable launch script
(528 Bytes) Downloaded 127 times

jrb

Using standard Vivaldi download

#2 Post by jrb »

I just tried the above with https://downloads.vivaldi.com/stable/vi ... 1_i386.deb and it's working quite well. Posting from it now. Peebee's has some extra libs in it which I presume are for Slackware based pups.