Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 10 Dec 2019, 02:21
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
changing kernel on bionicpup64 to xenial kernel(SOLVED)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
gychang

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep 2019, 14:27    Post subject:  changing kernel on bionicpup64 to xenial kernel(SOLVED)
Subject description: fails to boot after

Using the latest bionicpup64, but the internal SD card reader is not working. If I boot from xenialpup64 CD, the card reader works. Kernel on BP64 is 4.19.23, and XP64 is later 4.9... and I am trying to see if the changing of the kernel will allow me to use the card reader in BP64.

I tried the kernel changer app on QuickPet, and I tried the "zdrv*.sfs" from the XP64CD on the bottom blank. When I reboot it does not work. (see pic) Do I need to manually rename zdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs file first?
kernel.png
 Description   
 Filesize   68.7 KB
 Viewed   145 Time(s)

kernel.png

Last edited by gychang on Thu 12 Sep 2019, 17:47; edited 1 time in total
mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep 2019, 15:28    Post subject:  

I have no experience with the built-in Kernel Changer App: only discovered it by accident yesterday.

Have you tried to change the kernel manually? It's easy, especially as you already have the Xenialpup64.ISO. You can do the following entirely from a running Bionicpup64:

(1) Create a folder - I'd name it "k.4.19.23".
(2) Copy Bionicpup64's vmlinuz and zdrv_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs into that folder.
(3) Mount the xenialpup64's ISO. Copy its zdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs into the Bionicpup64's Folder. Copy Xenialpup64's vmlinuz into the Bionicpup64's folder, overwriting its current vmlinuz. Rename zdrv_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs to drv_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs [I do this so that I don't have to remember its name exactly while I] rename zdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs to zdrv_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs. Delete drv_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs.

Reboot.

Shocked Hopefully, you have another way of booting your computer if something went wrong. In such case, just delete the current vmlinuz and zdrv.sfs and copy/move the ones from the k4.19.23 folder into the vacated places.
gychang

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep 2019, 17:48    Post subject:  

mikeslr wrote:
You can do the following entirely from a running Bionicpup64:

(1) Create a folder - I'd name it "k.4.19.23".
(2) Copy Bionicpup64's vmlinuz and zdrv_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs into that folder.
(3) Mount the xenialpup64's ISO. Copy its zdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs into the Bionicpup64's Folder. Copy Xenialpup64's vmlinuz into the Bionicpup64's folder, overwriting its current vmlinuz. Rename zdrv_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs to drv_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs [I do this so that I don't have to remember its name exactly while I] rename zdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs to zdrv_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs. Delete drv_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs.

Reboot.

Shocked Hopefully, you have another way of booting your computer if something went wrong. In such case, just delete the current vmlinuz and zdrv.sfs and copy/move the ones from the k4.19.23 folder into the vacated places.

thanks, working well. Easier than the gui method!

Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: