Raspberry Pi Buster Raspup

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Sage

#196 Post by Sage »

Pi 4 Model B 2 GB Rev 1.1 w/o a protective case around it:
... videos in full screen mode on my Dell screen (1280*1024) will rise the temperature to 58°C (w/o cooling kit)
Interesting. Older cpu's with BIOS usually offer limiting functions beginning at ~70C. Those processors, although larger, were a lot less efficient than the RPi s and drew relative large currents relative to feature sizes, so don't think 58C is worrisome? Notwithstanding, I have passive HS on all models 2, zero and 3, with a tiny fan on the GPIO blowing across the whole board, ie not just the CPU/HS, and haven't noticed any adverse thermal effects under high loading. Of course, the v.4 may be different, esp. as currents are quite high. Always remember that must specify where and how T^oC is being measured. Thermocouple on surface?,underside?SW? internal diode via SW?

FeodorF

Raspberry Pi 4 B, 2 GB

#197 Post by FeodorF »

Prior ordering my pi 4 I watched some/many yt videos comparing different ARM boards. I was thinking about using one of them
as a desktop replacement. You guessed it by now a 'VIM3' would be the one to pick. But how many people would come up with further
software for this kind of hardware? I decided to pick a raspberry pi 4. For ram size I decided to use 2 GB as I'm not sure if the 4 GB
version will offer me any more speed on the system. Using it as a file server 4 GB will make sense but watching videos and reading
blogs 2 GB should be fine. Using my pi 4 for four days straight I will give it a 75+% as being able to replace my BIOS PC's.
System runs very well on micro SD as well as USB 3.0 flash disk (working partition).
Attachments
Running-of -the-sdCard.jpg
(10.77 KiB) Downloaded 1463 times
Running-of-USB3.jpg
(13.73 KiB) Downloaded 1467 times

tony

MY Pi 4.

#198 Post by tony »

Hi FeodorF,

I was surprised to find that I could work in usb3 by just putting a copy of the pup on a USB stick or SD card and booting up.

I also found out that disabled SD cards could be brought back to life by defragging them using GParted.

Failed getting Stellarium to work, but if puppy manager is downloading old versions, as was posted earlier, it might explain it.

My Pi4 is working well as a mainframe, but can't access Canada government PDF Citizen files due to Adobe not working with Linux.

Regards. Tony.

don570

#199 Post by don570 »

but can't access Canada government PDF Citizen files due to Adobe not working with Linux.
Did you try evince program.

rockedge

#200 Post by rockedge »

hello tony,

I have a copy of Adobe_Reader-9.5.5-i386.sfs for 32 bit that works well on Puppy Linux...perhaps it will run on Buster Raspup, of course if you're working with 32 bit. But I agree, evince should work well also for viewing pdf's

http://rockedge.org/kernels/data/SFS/Ad ... 5-i386.sfs

http://rockedge.org/kernels

tony

Adobe Needed?

#201 Post by tony »

Hi and thanks for coming back.

The citizenship ca website looks for an updated Adobe program and if it does not find it , it wont let you in.

Evince is probably fine but you would probably need to spoof it to look like Adobe.

Another example. Skype worked well before it was taken over by Microsoft.
Afterwards, not so good.

Changing the subject a bit. How do we get accelerated graphics?

Regards. Tony.

don570

#202 Post by don570 »

The site probably wants you to write info into a pdf file.
I guess only official Adobe program can do that.
You can go to local library.

FeodorF

Looking for 7-zip

#203 Post by FeodorF »

Sometimes ARM Linux images come with 7-zip compression. - "No, not ours."

As I was looking for '7-zip' forum member 'mikeslr' had a solution for my problem. You can look it up over there:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 05#1052205
Attachments
7-zip.jpg
(16.8 KiB) Downloaded 1344 times

don570

#204 Post by don570 »

Cutting edge stuff...

UBPORTS has been able to run its linux based OS on a raspberry pi 3+
but it runs out of space if raspberry pi only has 1gb.

https://ubports.com/blog/ubports-blog-1 ... rry-pi-266

..but a lot of issues

USB and wireless mice and keyboards work but selection remains odd.
Sometimes the mouse cursor seems trapped in an invisible box - moving it around eventually lets you reach other parts of the screen.
Often the area selected does not match where the cursor shows and clicking will select a previously selected area.
Moving the mouse repeatedly horizontally (or in some cases vertically depending on what you are trying to select) before clicking often works. Selecting specific areas of text is hard to get right.
The Pi touch screen works however there seems to be a linked issue, it easily selects areas that are difficult with the mouse but then fails at tasks like accessing the top pull down menu.
Repeated use of Tab then Return on the keyboard usually works when all else fails but is not a good user experience. Scroll wheel also seems reversed.

ggv94

Kernel panic error

#205 Post by ggv94 »

Hi, when raspup boots it shows me this screen and it won't move on:https://photos.app.goo.gl/DtvZycWc85t6SigBA
What can or should I do? I own a Raspberry Pi 3 A+

Dud

#206 Post by Dud »

ggv94

Kernel panic is usually a result of a corrupted SD card or an incomplete installation.

If this installation was working ok and the error suddenly appeared on a later boot/reboot then most likely is a power cut - aka switching off the supply - before the OS had finished writing its housekeeping data at shutdown.

If it has never booted then (assuming your md5 sum checked out) something went wrong when writing your micro-sdcard.

I suggest you rewrite the card and make certain to sync (flush) before you dismount it.

Good luck,

lp-dolittle

Raspberry Pi4 B 8GB

#207 Post by lp-dolittle »

Hi all,

what the new RaspiOS is expected to achieve on the new Raspberry Pi 4 B 8GB, running totally in RAM, seems to be no problem for Raspberry Pi Buster Raspup on the Raspberry Pi 4 B 4 GB!

I'm a bit surprised that Sage who obviously appreciates this modus, so far did not comment on this option. Might that be due to the fact that booting the Raspberry PI 4 B via CD/DVD from an external CD/DVD drive would require some additional effort?

I, admittedly, did not/cannot test this variant because I do not own a powered hub, but why not copy a remastered iso-file onto a micro-sd card or a flashstick which can be removed immediately after booting?

ARM Puppies - and not yet developed ARM EasyOS variants - certainly deserve additional attention!!

kind regards

Brown Mouse

#208 Post by Brown Mouse »

Has anyone managed to get 'CUPS' Printing working?

I've tried a few minor things including disabling firewall etc.but all I get from any browser is as shown in the attached screenshot.

TIA for any pointers.
Attachments
Screenshot(1).png
(43.24 KiB) Downloaded 300 times

MattN

Raspberry Pi 3b+ tests using raspup 8.2.0

#209 Post by MattN »

I installed raspup on a 16GB sd card and found it was able to boot with no problems. The first thing I found was that trying to modify the over/under scan would allow me to make only positive adjustments. That wasn't too bad since the changes never showed up on the reboot. That was where the second problem occurred. When the program asks where to put the save file I used the second partition (I was under the assumption that everything being used on this puppy would be saved in the second partition -- WRONG). I was going to try to download the DEVX file but I got a meeage that there wasn't enough room on the sd card (I only had 14GB+ available).

I currently boot my system from a hard disk drive (using the sd to do the initial setup of the system using PINN to allow me to make the os selection). PINN is similar to the NOOBS program which is supplied by the Pi Foundation. The first question I have is why is there two partitions with the program residing in the FAT32 partition? I see that the FAT32 partition contains the normal stuff that NOOBS and PINN use to setup the system -- it also has the image file in it too. Could the image file be put into the second partition? If it could be it would make it MUCH easier to install it on my hard drive.

Thanks for hearing me out.

MattN

aristos

raspup 8.2.0.wont boot on raspberry 3B+

#210 Post by aristos »

Last week I received a raspberry pi 3B+ revision 1.3.
Never managed to boot with raspup 8.2.0.
Just after boot options it gives me kernel panic, although many members of the forum report success.
Same thing happens either with dd(ing) the extracted img file to root device or coping raw files to already existing fat32 partition.(checked md5)
Strange enough raspup 8.1.3 and official distribution boots fine.

Sage

#211 Post by Sage »

Never managed to boot with raspup 8.2.0.
Follow my previous advice (twice recently)! Extract the image file and use USBImageWriter to transfer to a fresh SD card - it works every time. Leave the 'dd' CLI stuff to the gurus who use it everyday. One false step for neophytes guarantees failure!

aristos

#212 Post by aristos »

Well,I use fdisk and dd since 1991 on a 286 computer running dos 3.3 but it is never too late to make mistakes.
Unfortunately from 2006 on Puppy Linux is my ONLY operating system.I am not going to run a gui application (probably with Wine?) for the first time and expect better results.
Sometimes the trip matters more than the destination.
Apart from that THANK YOU for your answer,my mistake, I just wanted to ask if somebody manage to boot from this specific revision (1.3)

01micko

#213 Post by 01micko »

The new 8.2.1 version is out and should fix the kernel panic

See main post

Sage - I put a note in the release notes to try usbimgwriter or etcher, thanks.

http://raspup.eezy.xyz/notes.php
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

lp-dolittle

Raspup 8.2.1

#214 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ 01micko,

First, thank you very much for the raspup 8.2.1 release!

@ EasyOS users,

running EasyOS 2.3.2, I successfully installed raspup 8.2.1 onto an sd-card via Barry's GUI Easydd tool. Very simple, without any problem, and while booting on my Raspberry Pi 4B 4GB, raspup expanded automatically, filling the entire sd-card (64 GB).

@ Sage,

aware of your dd-aversion, I would like to encourage you to try Barry's Easydd GUI. There is no risk of failing due to a typo in a CLI! You just need to know the name of the drive onto which you want to install.

Running a Puppy-OS on ARM-architecture feels very good ... and as previously mentioned, the running totally in RAM option makes Raspup superior to RaspiOS in some respect (not least demonstrating Puppy's 'efficiency')

kind regards
Last edited by lp-dolittle on Sun 05 Jul 2020, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.

keniv

#215 Post by keniv »

01micko wrote:Use these instructions at your own risk

CLI (is the preferred method)

1. Grab sdcard or micro-sdcard (whatever fits your pi) and make 2 partitions, the first FAT32 of size 512MB, The second fills the rest of the card. Format that to ext2, ext3, ext4, f2fs, whichever.

2. Mount (as root, or sudo for Ubuntuers) the FIRST partition on the sdcard (FAT32) taking note of its mount point. It may be /mnt/sdc1 or /mnt/mmcblk0p1 or similar. It will be a 1

3. Go to the dir where you downloaded the zip file and run this:
Code:
ZIP=$(ls | grep -o raspup*zip|tail -1)
unzip $ZIP -d /mnt/MYMOUNTPOINT # this is the one you took note of earlier

4. if no errors occurred then unmount the card, remove from your card reader and poke it in the pi, power up and enjoy.

GUI

1. Grab sdcard or micro-sdcard (whatever fits your pi) and make 2 partitions, the first FAT32 of size 650MB, The second fills the rest of the card. Format that to ext2, ext3, ext4, f2fs, whichever.

2. make a new directory where you downloaded the zip file and extract the files in there. Copy all the files with drag'n'drop to MOUNTED FIRST partition of the sdcard, being sure NOT to copy the zip file as well

3. unmount the card, remove from your card reader and poke it in the pi, power up and enjoy.
I tried to use the both the CLI and the GUI instructions above to install Raspup Buster 8.2.1 but both failed. I can't see how either would work as the unzipped zip files are 2GB yet they are to be installed in a fat32 partition that is either 512 or 650MB. I assume I've misunderstood the instructions in some way. However, I did install the image by reformatting the 32GB sd card to fat32 using Easydd on Racy 5.5.1 in a similar way as others have done. I've used Easydd it a number of times before and it's never failed me.
I was able to boot up to a desktop on a Rasp Pi3b. I'm not that fond of Midori as a browser. I usually use Palemoon. Could not find Palemoon so I installed Firefox instead. This started from the menu. I went through the setup and all seemed well, however when I started to use it I kept getting errors on opening new tabs. This also happened when I tried to install extensions. I uninstalled Firefox and installed Chromium. This would not load from the menu. I looked at the .desktop file by opening it as text. Each time I tried to scroll down the file the text editor closed. Only looked at the file to see the execute instruction so as I could try it in a terminal but did not get that far. Have now uninstalled Chromium. I also had a problem with the save folder. On first shutdown which I did after the initial setup I found that most of the 32GB sd the card was taken up by a partition formatted as I think f2fs. Is this what I should expect? I have tried to mount this partition using Racy 5.5.1 but can't. GParted does not seem to know what it is either (see attached image). Can I reformat this partition to say ext3 and make a new save folder? Is anybody else having these sort of problems or is it just me?

Regards,

Ken.
Attachments
Gparted.png
(31.28 KiB) Downloaded 306 times