Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 18 Nov 2019, 13:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Raspberry Pi Buster Raspup RC
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 7 [103 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep 2019, 02:58    Post subject: What is the Puppi plan?
Subject description: Puppy + Raspberrys

One of my hobbies is being confused Rolling Eyes

... I have perhaps confused Buster Raspup with the Rpi Puppy Devuan based pre-alpha? Embarassed

Will they become one development?
What is the plan?
Would like to keep the wiki updated if possible ... Idea

Strangely I found the 3b+ seems to boot faster than the Rpi 4?
Is this just me - anyone else? Shocked

Mick praised Vivaldi. So I am using it now. It really is a bells and whistles Browser. It grows on you. I am using it in the Rpi 3b+ Very Happy

Small and Delicious
Puppy + Raspberrys

Last edited by Lobster on Thu 05 Sep 2019, 20:21; edited 1 time in total
Brown Mouse

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep 2019, 07:49    Post subject:  

Is there a way to Change the boot order so as it can boot the save folder as default 1st choice?

I’ve noticed the clock and date have to be reset up at each boot.
The clock stops at the time it’s last powered off.

I prefer Vivaldi browser too,seems very snappy but says it’s out of date when using it for tv video and won’t play.However,it seems to cope with YouTube ok 😊
Smithy

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep 2019, 13:23    Post subject:  

What are your boot times Lobster?
Different boot media for your 3 and 4?
A barebones version could be good. Then stuff added as required.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep 2019, 15:14    Post subject:  

Quote:

Indeed they do. To save cost the rpi has no internal clock and battery. When setting up, ensure when connecting to internet the Rpi gets the time ...

Will do a formal boot time test soon if required. Someone tell me how? Not a stop watch surely?

Time 4 Puppy
Woof Woof

Smithy

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep 2019, 02:07    Post subject:  

Absolutely, a stopwatch Smile apparently ubuntu 11 is the king at ten seconds, puppy is a contender at 23 secs.
Sage

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep 2019, 03:20    Post subject:  

Quote:
the rpi has no internal clock and battery

..but you can purchase a purpose-built RTC from the usual sources.

PS. a propos above comment about FlashPlayer, I thought it wasn't possible to run it on RPi units? Certainly that was the case with earlier versions, not sure whether it still pertains. Since it's required for BBC iPlayer, unavailability on ?ARM has dinted my enthusiasm recently. What is the present situation with v.4?
Brown Mouse

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep 2019, 03:45    Post subject:  

Sage wrote:
Quote:

PS. a propos above comment about FlashPlayer, I thought it wasn't possible to run it on RPi units? Certainly that was the case with earlier versions, not sure whether it still pertains. Since it's required for BBC iPlayer, unavailability on ?ARM has dinted my enthusiasm recently. What is the present situation with v.4?

Yes,I believe that is correct about not being able to install Flashplayer on the RPI.
I have been using the Raspbian OS which has Chrome browser as it’s stock browser and which includes a built in Flashplayer.

As for the clock time and date,I have been trying to find a setting that sets the clock to the network time at boot.Does one exist?
Smithy

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep 2019, 04:22    Post subject:  

@Lobster: Possibly to get your Plantronics functioning properly you could try
http://downloads.autostatic.com/rpi/jack-audio-connection-kit/
and maybe in the command line: jackd -R -t 1000 -d alsa -p 256 hw:0,0 -r 48000 -n2 -D or change hw:01, 02 etc.
Brown Mouse

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep 2019, 07:01    Post subject:  

Brown Mouse wrote:
Sage wrote:
Quote:

As for the clock time and date,I have been trying to find a setting that sets the clock to the network time at boot.Does one exist?

Now fixed.
Sage

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep 2019, 08:01    Post subject:  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49584941
RPi strikes again - Zero in.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep 2019, 20:30    Post subject:  

Thanks for the sound suggestion Cool

Mick kindly suggested changing the settings/setup from device to card ... and this was the planatronic recording solution ... Very Happy

Was very pleased to hear the Rpi is rocket science. We now have a chance for the first Puppy Linux in space ...

You have space
... for Puppi

01micko

PostPosted: Fri 06 Sep 2019, 04:07    Post subject:  

Smithy wrote:
Those screenies look great micko.
Could you do jack, qjackctl, qsynth and qsampler?
And does it hand off the usb drive totally?

All those apps are in the repos (raspbian). The pi 4 >=2GB hands off the USB but those with less don't unless the pfix=copy boot param is used - in the boot menu.

proebler wrote:
The rt73.bin in /lib/firmware got the WiFi dongle working ok. Thanks.
Running with a save folder in the SD card's ext2 partition, the WiFi network auto connects.

I note, that with the use of the save folder, the boot process is a lot faster.
The Quick Setup -with my preferences already set - and the Welcome windows appear at each boot (they ought not to).

I could not get the sound working. With any of the listed sound cards, testing produces some hiss from the TV speaker (rather than the expected 'left'-'right'-'left'-'right') .

Glad the firmware worked Smile . I'll include a bit more wireless firmware in the next build.

I do notice the quicksetup bug in my pi-zero. Must be a timing issue and is a woof level bug. looking into it.

Bad news about sound. Your log looks ok. Can you possibly discount bad hardware? (maybe hdmi cable? try a different one?) .. 'hiss' kind of means it's trying to work. I haven't a pi 1 to test but may get hold of one. I see them on ebay for AUD$10 + postage so I might get one.

Brown Mouse wrote:
Testing on a RPI 3 B model.
Made a save folder and running from an ext4 partition.
Looking great so far with working sound and WiFi connected.
Tried to install Flash player via the menu tab but doesn’t seem to run so manually installed.
No sound or video in Midori browser as yet.

(and in a later post)

Is there a way to Change the boot order so as it can boot the save folder as default 1st choice?

I prefer Vivaldi browser too,seems very snappy but says it’s out of date when using it for tv video and won’t play.However,it seems to cope with YouTube ok 😊

Hmm.. same here, but sound *might* be because of pulse-audio. 'apulse' (pulse-audio dummy) is installed and may work. I may implement a work-around for that. Video may be a missing gstreamer dep, I'll take a look.

-

Boot order is easily changed. Find the file 'bootmenu.txt' in the boot partition and open it in an editor (geany/leafpad/nano). Copy the 'LABEL' of your rasppupsave (excluding LABEL) over the DEFAULT entry ('raspup'). When you reboot you'll notice that your entry is highlighted. I might make a simple GUI for this as it would be a handy feature I'm sure.

Look for 'psync' in the menu Wink for clock issues.

I use Vivaldi as my go-to browser everywhere. What site doesn't work for TV? It can play proprietary media but needs a plugin. Run 'vivaldi-stable' (or -snapshot if you have that one installed) and you'll see the message. Just be sure to do it as 'spot' if you selected the 'spot' option when building the SFS. Again, it's a feature I might add to make it easier.

Smithy wrote:
A barebones version could be good. Then stuff added as required.

Yes, especially for the older Pi.

josejp2424 wrote:
hi 01micko

This puppy is working on a raspberry pi2.
very good alpha. Thank you

are you going to compile firefox 68? .

Thanks for confirming the alpha on pi 2 Smile

I don't plan to compile firefox. Firefox-esr-60.8.0 is in the raspbian repos and hopefully should install OK with the PPM.

-------------------------------------------

I'm happy that this alpha is mostly well received Smile

I'll try to fix the current bugs and enhance the current features and bring out a beta soon.

PS: lobster, this is pretty much unrelated to the rasvuan project which uses a different build system and a different base distro (devuan). Sorry for confusion.

Brown Mouse

PostPosted: Fri 06 Sep 2019, 09:14    Post subject:  

Brown Mouse wrote:
Testing on a RPI 3 B model.
Made a save folder and running from an ext4 partition.
Looking great so far with working sound and WiFi connected.
Tried to install Flash player via the menu tab but doesn’t seem to run so manually installed.
No sound or video in Midori browser as yet.

(and in a later post)

Hmm.. same here, but sound *might* be because of pulse-audio. 'apulse' (pulse-audio dummy) is installed and may work. I may implement a work-around for that. Video may be a missing gstreamer dep, I'll take a look.

-

Boot order is easily changed. Find the file 'bootmenu.txt' in the boot partition and open it in an editor (geany/leafpad/nano). Copy the 'LABEL' of your rasppupsave (excluding LABEL) over the DEFAULT entry ('raspup'). When you reboot you'll notice that your entry is highlighted. I might make a simple GUI for this as it would be a handy feature I'm sure.

Look for 'psync' in the menu Wink for clock issues.

I use Vivaldi as my go-to browser everywhere. What site doesn't work for TV? It can play proprietary media but needs a plugin. Run 'vivaldi-stable' (or -snapshot if you have that one installed) and you'll see the message. Just be sure to do it as 'spot' if you selected the 'spot' option when building the SFS. Again, it's a feature I might add to make it easier.

Thanks Mick

Must be going wrong somewhere as I've tried everything to change the boot order.
I've named my save folder 'raspupsave-RPI' which shows up at the bottom when I boot and scroll down to it but when I edit the 'bootmenu.txt' for DEFAULT,save the file and reboot,it still highlights 'raspup' top entry and boots to that.

It's sites like UK ITV hub,BBC iplayer that wont run in Vivaldi even though I've installed my VPN to the browser.

Not that we should expect too much from a 1GB ram box anyway Wink

I've also tried to install MHwaveedit from a pet in Murga but cant get that to run as yet ?
01micko

PostPosted: Sat 14 Sep 2019, 20:04    Post subject:  

Raspup Buster BETA is released!

Get it from the main post.

Lots of bugs fixed and a few features added.

Please test if you have Pi 0 to 4.

Enjoy!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sun 15 Sep 2019, 07:14    Post subject:  

Many thanks Mick

I am posting from Vivaldi on Raspup beta with the Rpi 4. Very Happy

- Just tried a youtube video, seems to be running with sound and video
- tried a full video in mkv format and that seemed to be running OK but the sound was out of synch
- having difficulty setting up the firewall, might be running but does not appear on menu dock
- changed theme, set up internet - had to use frisbee, simple network setup did not work.
- I have installed the devx
- Working on a Growl (security program) for Rpi

I found that the previous Alpha install was very stable for everyday use, so hopefully this one will be too.

Last edited by Lobster on Sun 15 Sep 2019, 09:31; edited 1 time in total
Page 2 of 7 [103 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: